Thread: The Birth Of A Wooden House

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

4 Not allowed!

Default The Birth Of A Wooden House

This is a documentary movie uncovering the process of building a wooden house with hand tools from local materials starting from forest till the living space. I built my house from trees that I felled with an axe and two man crosscut saw in my own forest. I did it following the research of old carpenter's calendar that coniferous trees should be felled in January's first days when the new moon rises and the deciduous trees should be felled in the winter time during the old moon. In winter time trees are sleeping and the juice and moisture content is very low in them. As time passes timber felled in winter becomes light and strong. In the building process I used mostly traditional carpenters hand tools - axes, hand saws, timber framing chisels and slicks, old Stanley planes, augers, draw knives and mostly human energy. All the ground work for fundaments and the basement earth digging was done by hand with shovels. The foundation consists mostly of bigger and smaller rocks and boulders. Lime, sand and concrete mixture are using only in small amounts - to hold the boulders together. The visible part over the ground level - boulder mosaic has been masoned with hand split local granite. The House has been built based on the western part of Latvia - Kurland/Kurzeme (German influence) historical wooden architecture typical technique - Timber Frame construction with sliding log walls between the posts. House is two carpentry technique union - Timber Frame (that is typical in France, Germany, Great Britain, North America and other countries) and traditional Latvian log building technique, between the logs using moss from the local swamp. In the walls, timber frame and roof construction there I used only wood joints and wooden pegs to hold the main construction together - no nails, screws or steel plates. Walls are insulated with 250mm thick dry pine and larch shaving layer (leftover from the local cabinet makers workshop). Overall exterior wall thickness is 50cm. In the walls (except wind vapour breathable membrane over the roof) has not been used any plastic or modern synthetic materials. To preserve the wood from the spoiling, fame posts, sills, top beams and final cladding boards are treated with fire and pine tar mixed with Tung oil. This wood preservation technique was adapted from the Japanese traditional wood preservation technique Shou Sugi Ban (焼杉板). Exterior cladding boards recoating each 10-15 years Tung oil and pine or birch tar mixture, the house can last more than 500 years. As an example is taken Norwegian stave churches that stands more than 500 years until nowadays. Roofing is three layer white oak shingles (each 10mm thick, 120mm wide and 720mm long) laid in two directional technique. Overall amount of shingles used is 15 000 pieces. Roof walls are insulated with ecological wood fibre wool and wood fibre panels. Over the wood fibre panels are plastered natural plaster - mixture of sand, clay powder, lime, linen fibre, salt, wheat flour. Overall thickness of the plaster is 20mm and over all amount of plaster used on the walls are 5000 kilos. It works also as thermal mass and improves energy performance. Exterior measurements of the house is 6.5 x 13 meters. Living space in both floors are 120sq/m. The house is being heated with clay plastered brick bread oven and smaller oven made of clay tiles in the kitchen. To heat up both floors of the house, when outside it is minus 10 degrees (Celsium) only small oven is heated once a day. When freeze gets below -15, -20 C, we heat up the bread oven. Once it is heated, because of it’s thermal mass of 5 tons, it keeps the warmth 2-3 days. To heat up all the house (120 sq/m) in the winter time we use not more than 4 m3 of dry firewood. This is 2nd winter we are living there and we still heat up the house with the leftovers of lumber from the building process. And it will be enough for 3 more years. I have fulfilled my vision to a build natural, ecological house with high thermal efficiency, low energy consumption, sustainable, using local materials such as - wood, stone, old and new clay bricks, moss, linen fibre, clay, water, lime, wheat flour, salt and wood shavings. Jacob, carpenter, craftsman and founder of Northmen (ex John Neeman Tools). Soundtrack: Jeff Pianki - Old Habits Peter J Hochstedler - Fools On The Highway Jauns Mēness (New Moon) - Pazudušais Dēls Jeff Pianki - The Weight Of Us Jeff Pianki - On Forgetting http://northmen.com https://www.facebook.com/northmenguild https://www.instagram.com/northmenguild

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-30-2021 @ 07:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Poland
    Taxonomy
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,410
    Given: 27,480

0 Not allowed!

Wow, he made a wooden house as several centuries ago. Sorry but I don't see nothing unusual in it.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sipols View Post
    Wow, he made a wooden house as several centuries ago. Sorry but I don't see nothing unusual in it.
    In a time where the craft is dying out FAST and where most new buildings are made out of concrete.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lawspeaker View Post
    In a time where the craft is dying out FAST and where most new buildings are made out of concrete.
    Do you think wooden houses are practical and long-lasting though?

I don't know how many trees need to be chopped down to create one.

I think they're a fire hazard and more vulnerable to wear and tear, splintering, rot, rodents gnawing holes through the wood if they smell any food present, bear attacks, burglars, etc.

Concrete is more durable, stronger, resilient to the temperatures, insulating against snow and rain, and is less of a fire risk.

20 flats quickly went up in flames a few months ago in south-east London. The reason why the fire spread so quickly was later found to be due to the dangerous wooden balconies outside of the flats. Not sure if they're even legal.

There was a lot of cheap wooden homes in Central London before the Great Fire of London in 1666 which burned down the city. The fire quickly spread from a bakery.

Most people today will have a wooden hut or shed to store their garden tools, but prefer to live in a solid concrete house.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 10-09-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Typo.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    Do you think wooden houses are practical and long-lasting though?

I don't know how many trees need to be chopped down to create one.

I think they're a fire hazard and more vulnerable to wear and tear, splintering, rot, rodents gnawing holes through the wood if they smell any food instead, bear attacks, burglars, etc.

Concrete is more durable, stronger, resilient to the temperatures, insulating against snow and rain, and less of a fire risk, etc.

There was a case of a block of flats that went up in fire this year in London. The fire quickly spread due to the dangerous wooden balconies outside the flats. Not sure if they're even legal.

There was a lot of cheap wooden homes in Central London before the Great Fire of London in 1666 which burned down the city. The fire quickly spread from a bakery.

Most people today will have a wooden hut or shed to store their garden tools, but prefer to live in a solid concrete house.
    Judging from how wooden houses have been standing all over Europe for many generations and how concrete apartments are being blown up after just 40 years, I'll gladly put my money on wood. And on brick.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-26-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Various Cruise ships, Also Agio Pnevma, Serres, Macedonia, Greece.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    Greek with a whiff of Bulgarian
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    A typical Balkan bastard
    Politics
    Strictly Rational.
    Hero
    Θαλής ο Μιλήσιος
    Religion
    Freedom with responsibitities.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,566
    Given: 4,506

1 Not allowed!

Judging from how wooden houses have been standing all over Europe for many generations and how concrete apartments are being blown up after just 40 years, I'll gladly put my money on wood. And on brick.
    My house is built on stone. It was built around 1946... It won't fall anytime soon, the walls are almost 1 meter thick at places...

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Houhoulis View Post
    My house is built on stone. It was built around 1946... It won't fall anytime soon, the walls are almost 1 meter thick at places...
    In Western Europe, there are whole post- war neighbourhoods that can, pretty much, be written off on the spot. The Bijlmermeer in Amsterdam (built between 1967 and 1975) only existed for less than 40 years (and that's just one example).

Banned
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:55 AM
    Country
    Jamaica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,667
    Given: 5,726

1 Not allowed!

Wood houses are peak aesthetics, followed by stone. Concrete is so fucking ugly I can't stand it.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-26-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Various Cruise ships, Also Agio Pnevma, Serres, Macedonia, Greece.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    Greek with a whiff of Bulgarian
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    A typical Balkan bastard
    Politics
    Strictly Rational.
    Hero
    Θαλής ο Μιλήσιος
    Religion
    Freedom with responsibitities.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,566
    Given: 4,506

1 Not allowed!

In Western Europe, there are whole post- war neighbourhoods that can, pretty much, be written off on the spot. The Bijlmermeer in Amsterdam (built between 1967 and 1975) only existed for less than 40 years (and that's just one example).
    I guess that brutalism was not the only post WWII architectural atrocity...

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Houhoulis View Post
    I guess that brutalism was not the only post WWII architectural atrocity...
    Far from it. Whoever came up with those urban plans and the architecture should be hanged from a modernist street light.

Thread Information