Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Are Romanians uncomfortable being labeled as Balkan ?

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,440
    Given: 31,606

1 Not allowed!

Romania is in process of Balkanization since the 1918 creation of Greater Romania - some regions, like Bukovina and Maramures, are not historically Balkan (politically and culturally) but are Balkanized in the meantime because Romanianization comes together with Balkanization, because it is directed from Bucharest, which is one of the Balkan hotspots, together with Belgrade, Sofia, Skopje and Sarajevo. I think that the only communities in Romania that really cannot be considered Balkan are the Ukrainian ethnics by the northern border (both geographically and culturally they fit with the rest of Ukrainians, at least Western ones) and the Lipovan communities in Bukovina, Moldova and Dobrudja regions. but those who leave the community to live in Romanian cities can be called Balkanic. another region that for the most does not fit is most of Moldova countryside, except of its southern side, like Galatz and Fokshany counties, which always had heavy Wallachian influence, in speech and looks and culturally. so Romania does fit the Balkan image now, it did less so in the recent past. Moldova the country is not Balkan at all, it's (post)Soviet.

average Romanian, especially from the South, feels deep connection with the Balkans and with "Latin" countries, they like to say. much less so in the rest of the country. Balkan identity is also very promoted by the TV and the media. also musically Romanians label themselves Balkan, mostly because of the klezmer and Gypsy influences in music.

foreign visitors from ex-Soviet Union see better than locals the differences in vibe between the Romanian regions and I've heard them say Moldova region, including Suceava, Iasi or Galati feel Eastern Euro (post-Soviet-like) while Bucharest feels very Balkan to them.

also culturally the Balkans do share some things with Eastern Europe, so it's more of a gradient and it's hard to exactly see where the Balkans end and where Eastern Europe starts, there's no clear line.

Last edited by Nurzat; 11-11-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Last Online
    05-30-2021 @ 10:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Cuman,Thracian
    Ethnicity
    Tatar/Slav/Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Southern Dobruja,Caucasia,Bulgaria
    Country
    Romania
    Taxonomy
    Pontid with asiatic vibes
    Politics
    Cultural Turanism, Anti-Anatolianism/Arabism
    Hero
    Spartacus,Robespierre
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 10

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Turkey is not Balkan, and Greece is peripheral one like Romania.
    I didn't say "Turkey is a Balkan country." Only eastern thrace is part of Balkans,just like dobruca region of Romania

Veteran Member WeirdLookingFellow's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 06:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balkan, Slavic from the Scythian Steppes of LARPing
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan, Romanian
    Ancestry
    Moldovan, Ukrainian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Ponto-Turan
    Hero
    Woody, the Cuman Khan
    Religion
    Folkish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,876
    Given: 3,564

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    Romania is in process of Balkanization since the 1918 creation of Greater Romania - some regions, like Bukovina and Maramures, are not historically Balkan (politically and culturally) but are Balkanized in the meantime because Romanianization comes together with Balkanization, because it is directed from Bucharest, which is one of the Balkan hotspots, together with Belgrade, Sofia, Skopje and Sarajevo. I think that the only communities in Romania that really cannot be considered Balkan are the Ukrainian ethnics by the northern border (both geographically and culturally they fit with the rest of Ukrainians, at least Western ones) and the Lipovan communities in Bukovina, Moldova and Dobrudja regions. but those who leave the community to live in Romanian cities can be called Balkanic. another region that for the most does not fit is most of Moldova countryside, except of its southern side, like Galatz and Fokshany counties, which always had heavy Wallachian influence, in speech and looks and culturally. so Romania does fit the Balkan image now, it did less so in the recent past. Moldova the country is not Balkan at all, it's (post)Soviet.

average Romanian, especially from the South, feels deep connection with the Balkans and with "Latin" countries, they like to say. much less so in the rest of the country. Balkan identity is also very promoted by the TV and the media. also musically Romanians label themselves Balkan, mostly because of the klezmer and Gypsy influences in music.

foreign visitors from ex-Soviet Union see better than locals the differences in vibe between the Romanian regions and I've heard them say Moldova region, including Suceava, Iasi or Galati feel Eastern Euro (post-Soviet-like) while Bucharest feels very Balkan to them.

also culturally the Balkans do share some things with Eastern Europe, so it's more of a gradient and it's hard to exactly see where the Balkans end and where Eastern Europe starts, there's no clear line.

[vi]
    I don't fully agree, in the sense that there isn't a strong enough discrepancy between Wallachia and the rest of the country, but Moldova the region does fit as an intermediary between Balkan and Eastern Europe. I personally identify with both.
    Just a 26.6% European individual

G25 "26.6% Austrian:Austria6 + 73.4% Romanian:G408" "0.0096"
    EU TEST 86.9% RO + 13.1% West_&_Central_German @ 4.98
    K13 56.9% Tu(ran)scan + 43.1% Ukrainian @ 4.02

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,440
    Given: 31,606

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdLookingFellow View Post
    I don't fully agree, in the sense that there isn't a strong enough discrepancy between Wallachia and the rest of the country, but Moldova the region does fit as an intermediary between Balkan and Eastern Europe. I personally identify with both.
    forgot to mention that the same as Balkans and Eastern Europe don't have a clear border and they overlap on some aspects, the same can be said about the Balkan influence going north, and by extension Hungary and Slovakia are at least partly of Balkanic vibe as well.

one could go from conservative mode in which only Yugoslavia and Bulgaria are Balkan to speculative mode in which we add Romania, Hungary and Slovakia. I don't know about Albania and Greece, I see them as rather Mediterranean.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

3 Not allowed!

According to the following source, the ten most similar nations to Romanians are:
    Moldova
    Bulgaria
    Poland
    Hungary
    Slovakia
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Ukraine
    France
    Slovenia

8 out of 10 are countries that are either not Balkan at all or sometimes included in Balkans:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/objecti...o-romania/amp/

That means that even if we see Romania as Balkan, at least its not core Balkan

forgot to mention that the same as Balkans and Eastern Europe don't have a clear border and they overlap on some aspects, the same can be said about the Balkan influence going north, and by extension Hungary and Slovakia are at least partly of Balkanic vibe as well.

one could go from conservative mode in which only Yugoslavia and Bulgaria are Balkan to speculative mode in which we add Romania, Hungary and Slovakia. I don't know about Albania and Greece, I see them as rather Mediterranean.
    Hungary and Slovakia??

From what aspect would you say that these two have a Balkan vibe?

Its probably true that Greece is better described as a Euromed country, and the same is being said in the following source

https://www.google.com/amp/s/objecti...to-greece/amp/

Since all 5 most similar nations to Greeks are euromed. But thats not implied for Albania as well, its a category of its own
    Last edited by brennus dux gallorum; 11-11-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Last Online
    11-12-2020 @ 09:35 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romance
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Wallachia
    Y-DNA
    Q1b
    Taxonomy
    dinarid-aralid(dinarid+turanid)
    Politics
    pan-turanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

0 Not allowed!

yes we are.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-24-2024 @ 05:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Highlander Greek
    Ancestry
    Mountains....mountains Gandalf
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    E-Z5018
    mtDNA
    J1c
    Taxonomy
    Dinarized Alpine Pontid
    Hero
    Herodotus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,066
    Given: 11,454

2 Not allowed!

The majority of Romanians are Balkan in terms of culture, food, religion, history, genetics, phenotypes, etc.

Geography doesn't mean much and if it means then Romanians are still considered Balkan diaspora

Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,196
    Given: 9,817

1 Not allowed!

Hungary and Slovakia has nothing to do with Balkans, i have been to Greece many times and i went through Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, and i saw a very different world. Budapest is a very liberal and cosmopolitan place, reminds me Prag, Wien or Berlin, the hungarian countryside is divided, in Transdanubia the nice and clean villages, farms is similar to the austrian countryside, North Hungary (Borsod, Nógrád, Heves, Szabolcs) reminds me Ukraine, dilapidated houses, villages with high rates of proverty. The Alföld region is between Transdanubia and North Hungary in half way. But i have never seen this typical balkan vibe.

Resident Gadfly
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,095
    Given: 24,273

0 Not allowed!

Romania is an odd case. Historians are baffled how the hell did a Latin language survive surrounded by Slavic cultures and after centuries of Ottoman influence in the Balkans extending up to Hungary (Romania is probably the only country in Southeastern Europe which had Ottoman problems that was never turned into a Turkish Pashalic).

Romania is not geographically in the Balkans, since the Balkan mountains end in Bulgaria according to some Romanian historians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    We GrecoRomansIberians once did the mistake of civilizing these cave-dwellers ,I suggest we make an alliance with muslims to accelerate their takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance12 View Post
    Scandinavia is not Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    It's OK to date girls 16+ they are not children remember the old song 'sweet sixteen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Whites are often jealous of Blacks for their athleticism, creative talent and sexual prowess.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,129
    Given: 58,889

0 Not allowed!

Everywhere where they eat sarma and ajvar is Balkan so yes
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    “The patriot, like the Christian, must learn that to bear revilings and persecutions is a part of his duty; and in proportion as the trial is severe, firmness under it becomes more requisite and praiseworthy.” ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1805

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information