Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Valhalla the Heaven of Nordic mythology?

Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 02:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,166
    Given: 4,758

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dna8 View Post
    Valhalla would have been the best outcome possible, as far as the majority of male northerners were considered, in relevant periods?
    Only men, not women.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,841
    Given: 13,107

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    Only men, not women.
    Indeed.

Kindest regards.
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

3 Not allowed!

We don't know how much of Norse myth (especially Valhalla, Ragnarok, etc.) was influenced by Christian ideas. Only one half of the warriors slain in battle go to Odin's hall Valhalla. The other half go to Freya's hall Folkvangr. I much prefer Folkvangr myself.

--

Folkvang (Old Norse Fólkvangr, “Field of the People” or “Field of Armies”[1]) is the abode of the goddess Freya.

Folkvang is mentioned only twice in all of Old Norse literature: once in the poem Grímnismál (“The Song of the Hooded One”), and once in the Prose Edda. The relevant passage in the Prose Edda quotes the relevant stanza from Grímnismál, so we can assume that the Prose Edda used Grímnismál as its source.

According to Grímnismál, Freya takes half of the “weapon-dead” into Folkvang after they die. The other half are said to go to Valhalla, the more famous hall of the god Odin.[2] The poem says nothing about what criteria are used to determine who goes to Folkvang and who goes to Valhalla. In any case, there are a number of other pieces of Old Norse literature that have contradictory things to say about who gets into Valhalla and on what basis. It seems likely that this stanza in Grímnismál is the work of a late effort at systematization rather than something the Vikings themselves would have necessarily believed.

The Old Norse sources say nothing about what Folkvang was like, or what the dead did while they were there. The Prose Edda mentions that Freya’s hall within Folkvang was called Sessrumnir (Old Norse Sessrúmnir, “Hall with Roomy Seats” or “Hall with Many Seats”[3]). That’s a rather generic name for a hall, and the passage in question says nothing about it except that it’s “great and fair”[4] – also a pretty generic description for a hall.

However, the idea that some of the dead go to Freya seems to have been reasonably well-established, although different sources indicate different conceptions of who went there upon death, and under what circumstances this occurred. Egil’s Saga, for example, has a world-weary female character declare that she’ll never taste food again until she dines with Freya.[5] Suicide by starvation is obviously a very different kind of death than one that occurs in battle, so it’s impossible, at face value, to square this passage with what Grímnismál reports. All we can say with confidence is that Freya was indeed thought to sometimes take in some of the dead.

https://norse-mythology.org/folkvang/

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 02:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,166
    Given: 4,758

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    We don't know how much of Norse myth (especially Valhalla, Ragnarok, etc.) was influenced by Christian ideas. Only one half of the warriors slain in battle go to Odin's hall Valhalla. The other half go to Freya's hall Folkvangr. I much prefer Folkvangr myself.

--

Folkvang (Old Norse Fólkvangr, “Field of the People” or “Field of Armies”[1]) is the abode of the goddess Freya.

Folkvang is mentioned only twice in all of Old Norse literature: once in the poem Grímnismál (“The Song of the Hooded One”), and once in the Prose Edda. The relevant passage in the Prose Edda quotes the relevant stanza from Grímnismál, so we can assume that the Prose Edda used Grímnismál as its source.

According to Grímnismál, Freya takes half of the “weapon-dead” into Folkvang after they die. The other half are said to go to Valhalla, the more famous hall of the god Odin.[2] The poem says nothing about what criteria are used to determine who goes to Folkvang and who goes to Valhalla. In any case, there are a number of other pieces of Old Norse literature that have contradictory things to say about who gets into Valhalla and on what basis. It seems likely that this stanza in Grímnismál is the work of a late effort at systematization rather than something the Vikings themselves would have necessarily believed.

The Old Norse sources say nothing about what Folkvang was like, or what the dead did while they were there. The Prose Edda mentions that Freya’s hall within Folkvang was called Sessrumnir (Old Norse Sessrúmnir, “Hall with Roomy Seats” or “Hall with Many Seats”[3]). That’s a rather generic name for a hall, and the passage in question says nothing about it except that it’s “great and fair”[4] – also a pretty generic description for a hall.

However, the idea that some of the dead go to Freya seems to have been reasonably well-established, although different sources indicate different conceptions of who went there upon death, and under what circumstances this occurred. Egil’s Saga, for example, has a world-weary female character declare that she’ll never taste food again until she dines with Freya.[5] Suicide by starvation is obviously a very different kind of death than one that occurs in battle, so it’s impossible, at face value, to square this passage with what Grímnismál reports. All we can say with confidence is that Freya was indeed thought to sometimes take in some of the dead.

https://norse-mythology.org/folkvang/
    Probably the Norse mythology did receive some Christian influence, although I am still unsure of how much I influence the original beliefs of the Norse, for example, the end of the Ragnarok reminds me of the beginning and creation of God according to the Bible.
    It is also not very clear what were the factors and requirements of a person to go to places after dying, it is only known that to go to Valhalla the man had to die with honor in combat, it is not known what happened to the women or people who They did good deeds, criminals go to hell but the rest?

I would like to know what was the difference between valhalla and folkvangr?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information