Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do the French get so much stick for their putative hostility towards and poor levels of English?

Companhia dos Leőes da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,023
    Given: 16,803

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    You seem very proud (not the first time that you do) claiming Portuguese are masters speaking English.
    Believe me, if 100% of Spaniards speak English to the perfection, I would be very sad with this.
    Yes, I am very proud that Portugal is not poorly ranked when it comes to English proficiency. English language is essential to the field of education nowadays, especially in fields considered to be the future such as technology and science. I am not sure if you are aware or not since you never attended an university but at the universities you will find that many syllabi in science and engineering are written in English. It is the dominant language and most of the research and studies you find in any given scientific field will be written in it as well. Being proficient in a second language doesn't necessarily posse a threat to your native language, it is not like Portugueses are communicating with one another in English.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,689
    Given: 23,946

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    You can blame that on the past colonial empires that made the English and French to be unofficial lingua franca in many countries of the world. I mean, I understand why Spanish is the first language for all the Spanish speaking peoples of the Americas due to the cultural assimilation via paternal mixture with the natives which is true for the Arabs, but the English language is a language that is used by many countries of the world to do business and etc due to globalism which is bad for the local languages to be step sided.
    We Spaniards dont have a residual language, our language is the second most spoken worlwide, what makes it an Alpha language. We are not the need to learn other languages, not even to travel. When I was in Romania many Romanians spoke us in Spanish, and some even in Italian.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 05:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Amazigh/Berber
    Ancestry
    Algeria
    Country
    Switzerland
    mtDNA
    W3a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,943
    Given: 4,116

2 Not allowed!

Even if they know English (which is the case most of the time), they won't try too much for several reasons :

- It's common of making fun of persons trying too hard to speak English well or with a nice accent. Because of that, some people don't make too much efforts when speaking English because they don't want to be judged/mocked
    - Sometimes, English speakers, especially from Anglo countries (USA, UK etc...) don't bother making any efforts to speak English slowly or trying to use some French words especially when their tourists travel to France. It's considered rude and French perceive it as a sign of arrogance, like they are trying to impose their language to them.
    - French people hate their accents, they think they speak English terribly and are ashamed of it
    - French are proud and I guess it might be related to history, it's maybe a cultural heritage : French used to be the " international" language before English, even English aristocrats/royalty were speaking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    Simply because of their accent that is the most distinct in the west which can give the impression that they're less proficient in the English language. No offence but British English is one of the most unintelligible form of English.
    Never seen it that way but it could be one of the reasons. French accent is really distinctive and is easily recognized.

Edit : also French don't really appreciate Americans/British that much to be honest in general, it probably helps a little (sorry)

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    Yes, I am very proud that Portugal is not poorly ranked when it comes to English proficiency. English language is essential to the field of education nowadays, especially in fields considered to be the future such as technology and science. I am not sure if you are aware or not since you never attended the univeristy
    I left to read here.

You can continue sucking the boots of English. It is an old Portuguese habit and none of my business, actually.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,828
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

We Spaniards dont have a residual language, our language is the second most spoken worlwide, what makes it an Alpha language. We are not the need to learn other languages, not even to travel. When I was in Romania many Romanians spoke us in Spanish, and some even in Italian.
    Well, you Spaniards conquered half of the land mass of Earth so it makes sense.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I left to read here.

You can continue sucking the boots of English. It is an old Portuguese habit and none of my business, actually.
    You're ignorant as usual. Only in my generation our education system started to give more emphasis and importance to the English language. During my parent's generation French language was the mandatory second language at school and that's why in Portugal you can notice that people with 50 years old or above can usually speak French rather than English.

Last Online
    08-11-2020 @ 05:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    asd
    Country
    Iceland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 660
    Given: 656

0 Not allowed!

French has long been the most important language, and the French are still chauvinistic. There are many French people who are proud of Napoleon, while a similar love for Hitler is impossible in Germany. if I were a Frenchman, and a German or a tourist talks to me in English, I would answer in French. it is awarded the french. while the situation is reversed in Belgium or the Netherlands. there they will answer in english and if needed correct your (defective) english.
    Ice

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    You're ignorant as usual. Only in my generation our education system started to give more emphasis and importance to the English language. During my parent's generation French language was the mandatory second language at school and that's why in Portugal you can notice that people with 50 years old or above can usually speak French rather than English.
    That is irrelevant and also has happened in Spain. But you only say stupidities. Not my fault that Portuguese is not a global language unlike Spanish or English.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MsSPF View Post
    - Sometimes, English speakers, especially from Anglo countries (USA, UK etc...) don't bother making any efforts to speak English slowly or trying to use some French words especially when their tourists travel to France. It's considered rude and French perceive it as a sign of arrogance, like they are trying to impose their language to them.
    In all honesty, most French tourists do not bother speaking anything else but French when they visit Portugal. I am not sure if it is because that's the only language they know or because they assume that we will understand them. Probably some of the preconceived idea that French people are on average not good at foreign languages might come from that experience. On the other hand I have to say that all French members of TA have really good proficiency in English, contrary to the stereotypes.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-27-2019 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    steppe aristocracy (kaghan's, ilteber's, shad's, tegin's, bey's)
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Tengrist, by virtue
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 8

0 Not allowed!

Speaking English is a good thing, that is international language. However, Globalists use English to replace local languages and push a global agenda. Because of English, many languages are disappearing. Soon tongues like Norwegian, Icelandic, Dutch shall disappear. However just like the French do, there is also a resistance trend against English supremacism on a global scale with Japanese, Germans, Chinese, Italians, Spanish involved. The whole world speaking only one language means just one single way of thinking covering all over the world.

In Turkey the Globalists, FETÖ, Liberals, LGBT etc have been pushing for English. They even succeeded in having English signboards, announcements, call center services too. Yet now there is also a growing resentment by nationalists. People don't want to see anymore signboards in English, Arabic, Russian.
    In the new era, nationalists throughout the world will need to be anti-globalists. Being anti-communist like in 20th century is not sufficient anymore. And being anti-globalists means to defend the existence and supremacy of local languages in their living spaces.
    Though I have good English skills, for 6 months I have stopped to answer to tourists asking for questions while on the streets. It is funny, you have Latins, Arabs, Iranians coming to Turkey and expecting you speak English. It doesn't work like this.

With Brexit, the Latin and Catholic parts of Europe which are led by France shall show further resistance. And the rise of China as a superpower having even its own computing language sources shall help this trend.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information