Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Pigmentation by Not a Cop.

Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 05:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slovenian
    Country
    New Zealand
    Politics
    Right wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,196
    Given: 677

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    Your eye colour numbers seem really accurate, Supercomputer should use them over Bunak's in his study, I remember there was some confusion over Bunak's definition of light eyes compared to other anthropologists.
    Only my regional differences map is based on Bunak's map. My general number is based on Wiazemsky (Bunak doesn't have data 7-12 on his scale for Russia). I wanted to make an exclusively scientifically sourced map so I won't source amateur studies even If I personally trust them.

Last Online
    05-13-2021 @ 10:17 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hurrian
    Ethnicity
    Lezgin + Turkic mutt
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    something ugly
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,063
    Given: 297

0 Not allowed!

Me: *goes to America*
    Random American lady: “your name sounds Russian, I love Russian men”

Last Online
    06-11-2020 @ 12:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sarmatian
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Wild Steppe
    Taxonomy
    Archaic Übermensch
    Politics
    Savage
    Religion
    dem boobiez
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,088
    Given: 3,785

1 Not allowed!

- South is also very surprising, most must be very recent(1700 AD+) migrants from central Russia that mixed less with Circassian/etc and very few assimilated Circassians/etc. type people than migrants in the east did in the east with Tatars, I assume the better climate is also a huge draw today for Russian migrants.
    Why South is surprising? It was never as dark pigmented as most assume it to be. In fact the darker pigmentation is rather recent (post-Mongol) addition to Caucasus. Even today natives from Caucasus consider their original look to be reddish while dark-brown/black to be influence from Anatolia and Middle East.

PS You're right, we barely mixed with Circassians.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    me
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R1a > YP1337 > R-BY160486*
    mtDNA
    H3*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,243
    Given: 2,623

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    From simple reasoning mixing must be close to 0 considering religious difference and bloody war in XIX century. I imagine only Ossetians mixed more with Russian because of the same faith.
    There are some studies on that question?

Last Online
    06-11-2020 @ 12:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sarmatian
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Wild Steppe
    Taxonomy
    Archaic Übermensch
    Politics
    Savage
    Religion
    dem boobiez
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,088
    Given: 3,785

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    From simple reasoning mixing must be close to 0 considering religious difference and bloody war in XIX century. I imagine only Ossetians mixed more with Russian because of the same faith.
    There are some studies on that question?
    Mixing is uncommon even between Caucasians of same faith but different language. Ossetians didn't mix with Russians that much either but sure more than others. They even had their own Ossetian Cossacks.

I'm not aware of any studies on the matter, all I know is my personal knowledge from family and friends.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,518
    Given: 9,854

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Cop View Post

These cannot be Russian (they look straight near/middle eastern). Probably have some Armenian or Jewish blood...

Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 12:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,095
    Given: 10,128

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aherne View Post
    These cannot be Russian (they look straight near/middle eastern). Probably have some Armenian or Jewish blood...
    This is why I stated that i have included people with Russian names, but extremly unrussian looks, they can be extreme parts of the spectrum, or result of mixture, anyway considering their Russian names i assumed that they're most likely gonna be a part of russian ethnos and identify themself as such, so i decided to include them, as i did with germanic individuals, who are most likely will be assimilated as well such as this guy:

Also there is such cases as my grandma, who looks Saami-sh but has pretty average looking parents:

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Amazing work man!

Some notes:

- It seems my whole core ethnic Russian areas numbers(for blonde/light anyway) correlate closest to your whole Russia numbers and Central numbers(14.8% and 12.64% blonde/28.88% and 26.72% and total light)
    - At first I assumed Center was Moscow area, but it turns out it's actually western Russia and west is North West(well kind of mixed). I'm very surprised in the large difference between actual center/north and western Ukrainian border areas, I actually thought Ukrainian border areas would be around equal to NW Russian but turns out not to be the case.
    Thanks, my bet is that increased blondism in Russia is correlated with Finnic admixture, as Baltic admix in western border areas doesn't cause such effect as we have seen from your study, while Balts are lighter than Slavs overall the general trend of Northerness-Blondism is the same among Balts and Slavs witch is expected considering common origins and thus does not produce big enough effect compared to Finnic admixture among whom the general lightness is greater.

- South is also very surprising, most must be very recent(1700 AD+) migrants from central Russia that mixed less with Circassian/etc and very few assimilated Circassians/etc. type people than migrants in the east did in the east with Tatars, I assume the better climate is also a huge draw today for Russian migrants.
    I wouldn't say that south is so much surprising as the steppe is not the original homeland of forest-marshes dwelling slavs and was colonised slowly with advance of firearms since XVI century reaching Caucasus in XIX. Most colonisers were ofc. ethnic Russians and Bel./Ukr. thus closeness of numbers is expected, as for mixing with natives, up untill recent times mixing with Muslims was basicly non-existant and is still pretty low in Caucasus as it preserves traditional culture. In Volga region it was more common as many local tribes were christianised.

- I also included people like above in your post(if they had Russian names of course), eastern Europe seems to have a bigger phenotype differences between the dark types and the light types say than a place like England where light/dark people still look pretty similar, I wonder if these more Caucasus looking ones are assimilated minorities or just different phenotype expression. Excluding such people solely based on looks would be unscientific of course because such looks do exist in pure ethnic people, including pure Med Swedes.
    - Glad you agree with my definition of blonde, you seem to have followed the criteria I listed for it perfectly.
    - Based on this it would seem like N. Russians are blonder than Lithuanians, would love to see you do Lithuania to have a double confirmation or even a western country like England/Germany and see how they compare but I realize you probably care less about their results than Russia's and doing this is very time consuming. Guessing N. Russians would be even lighter if you excluded St. Petersburg clubs.
    Interestingly Bunak in his study also found 4,6% of light and medium blonde.

I may do one Baltic and Western country a bit later.

- One thing we probably did very differently is medium/dark hair, your numbers are pretty high compared to mine while blondism and all light isn't(although these two are more important and less subjective imo so doesn't really matter), for example this PFL team from Smolensk(ignoring the bald people) I count 11 dark out of 27 which is around 40%, and Smolensk Russians would be some of the lighter Russians so around 50%(for dark) as a whole for core Russians seems about more right, and looks around 50% just quickly looking at crowd pictures.
    I don't think that there is a significant difference in our results for light/dark percentage, if we will split my medium brown into half we'll get the same 50/50 divide, but i might have been unconciously using russian hair colour chart as a result of cultural influence, i was actually surprised than i looked up Bunak's work and our number for light hair was extremly similar being 33,3% vs 33 for total.

As for Smolensk again i doubt that they're any significantly different from average, here is map from Bunak's work:

As you can see all points to light hair being concentrated in NW.

- If you still have the raw data on hand I would split the regions up more, specifically put the Moscow area ones from both W and Central together, then have a Ukrainian border category and NW category without the Moscow ones, but again, probably time consuming and the numbers are very solid as it is.
    - Nice to see our red hair category is also extremely similar.
    At first i was planning to do it as a test run to show the fails and problems of my method, so i didn't think it through and didn't care much about standartisation, but in the process results seemed very satisfactory to me, so i decided to put them online, so i don't have any raw data saved.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Why South is surprising? It was never as dark pigmented as most assume it to be. In fact the darker pigmentation is rather recent (post-Mongol) addition to Caucasus. Even today natives from Caucasus consider their original look to be reddish while dark-brown/black to be influence from Anatolia and Middle East.

Well there is a meme about Southerners being dark for some reason, in fact even i expected results of Kubanoids to be lower.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    me
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R1a > YP1337 > R-BY160486*
    mtDNA
    H3*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,243
    Given: 2,623

1 Not allowed!

So practically South region is lighter than some other regions either for eye ir hair color. So we must refute all those generalized maps showing southern Russians as darker.

Btw most people here don't know thay Bunak study didn't cover suthern Russia. So Not a Cop study is only such extensive source for their pigmentation, of course bearing in mind all its limitations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information