Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is The Old Testment still Valid For Christians?

Banned
    Last Online
    08-04-2021 @ 06:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,957
    Given: 57,209

1 Not allowed!

Default Is The Old Testment still Valid For Christians?

Or is it more of a Jewish thing?
    I am protestant but i always admired the emphazys that catholics to do the new testment, by the way

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Midwestern Trash
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, Litvin Polish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    N1b1b, H3(P)
    Hero
    The Christ
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,480
    Given: 6,004

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolsonaro View Post
    Or is it more of a Jewish thing?
    I am protestant but i always admired the emphazys that catholics to do the new testment, by the way
    Yes. I am something of a Messianic Jew myself, minus any respect for the Talmud. I think some Christians confuse His saying that He came to “fulfill The Law” as meaning “The Law is no more”. This is not true. I have come into the understanding that we must keep the Seventh Day sabbath, etc...
    "3:16 For YHWH so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.."

#GodWins

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Bump

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Upper Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian, Georgian Jewish, minor Armenian
    Ancestry
    Chalcolithic Armenia (EHG), Anatolian Neolithic Farmer (AHG), Copper Age Zagros, Canaan, Urartu, Ass
    Country
    Australia
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,784
    Given: 10,478

1 Not allowed!

For Protestant Christians it seems to be.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CordedWhelp View Post
    Yes. I am something of a Messianic Jew myself, minus any respect for the Talmud. I think some Christians confuse His saying that He came to “fulfill The Law” as meaning “The Law is no more”. This is not true. I have come into the understanding that we must keep the Seventh Day sabbath, etc...
    I almost fell into this thinking, myself.

I recommend reading this sermon.

"Christian or Sabbatarian?
    You Cannot Be Both"

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/sermons/...ism/sermon.php

Also pertains to the thread, more generally. When we deal with the ceremonial aspects of the Old Testament, we're dealing with types and shadows: adumbrations of things to come. Jesus, however, is the Light (John 8:12), and thus superior in every way to shadows. In comparison to Light, shadows are darkness!

Paul wrote extensively to combat Jewish legalism. His words are very clear in Colossians 2:16-17:

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post

You Cannot Be Both"

Also pertains to the thread, more generally. When we deal with the ceremonial aspects of the Old Testament, we're dealing with types and shadows: adumbrations of things to come. Jesus, however, is the Light (John 8:12), and thus superior in every way to shadows. In comparison to Light, shadows are darkness!

Paul wrote extensively to combat Jewish legalism. His words are very clear in Colossians 2:16-17:

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Very good answer, my brother!
    I will post the full Collossians 2:

"2:1 I want you to know how hard I am contending for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. 2 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. 5 For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how disciplined you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

Spiritual Fullness in Christ
    6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. 11 In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by[c] Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you[d] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[e]

Freedom From Human Rules
    16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

I think that I Coritnhians 13 also helps to understand more about it:

"13:1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You Cannot Be Both"

Are you catholic or protestant?

I have mastered chakra and can also do romjutsu
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,173
    Given: 58,944

1 Not allowed!

It is still valid in my opinion. Both compliment eatch other and the Old Testament for christians is more a narration of stories then commandments.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum User Cobra about Mortimer

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolsonaro View Post
    Are you catholic or protestant?
    Well, after I became a Christian (it's still been less than a year for me), I joined an Assemblies of God church, but I'm thinking about leaving it and I think I probably will. It's not that I dislike my particular congregation or pastor, but I disagree with the Arminian theology of the AOG organization. And it's the worst kind of Arminianism: i.e., the consistent kind. The AOG denies the eternal security of the believer (nevertheless, the Bible teaches it... e.g.: Luke 15:4-7; John 6:39, 10:27-29; Romans 8:28-39; Ephesians 1:3-6).

Ideally, I'd like to find a good Baptist church. Baptists actually aren't Protestant, because Baptists existed outside of Rome through the ages and did not originate from the Roman Catholic apostate church. And Baptists suffered persecution from both Catholics and Protestants.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 10-27-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well, after I became a Christian (it's still been less than a year for me), I joined an Assemblies of God church, but I'm thinking about leaving it and I think I probably will. It's not that I dislike my particular congregation or pastor, but I disagree with the Arminian theology of the AOG organization. And it's the worst kind of Arminianism: i.e., the consistent kind. The AOG denies the eternal security of the believer (nevertheless, the Bible teaches it... e.g.; Luke 15:4-7; John 6:39, 10:27-29; Romans 8:28-39; Ephesians 1:3-6).

Ideally, I'd like to find a good Baptist church. Baptists actually aren't Protestant, because Baptists existed outside of Rome through the ages and did not originate from the Roman Catholic apostate church. And Baptists suffered persecution from both Catholics and Protestants.
    Interesting.
    So do you say that Christians are saved by grace and that law is not so important?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information