Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Battle of Avarayr 451 A.D. (Vardanank)

  1. #1
    Inactive Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    03-06-2020 @ 08:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Gender
    Posts
    3,030
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,582/180
    Given: 2,514/183

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default Battle of Avarayr 451 A.D. (Vardanank)



    Background


    The Kingdom of Armenia under the Arsacid dynasty of Armenia was the first nation to officially convert to Christianity, in 301 AD under Tiridates III. In 428, Armenian nobles petitioned Bahram V to depose Artaxias IV (Artashir IV). As a result, the country became a Sassanid dependency with a Sassanid governor. The Armenian nobles initially welcomed Persian rule, provided they were allowed to practice Christianity; but Yazdegerd II, concerned that the Armenian Church was hierarchically dependent on the Latin- and Greek-speaking, Orthodox Christian Church (aligned with Rome and Constantinople rather than the Aramaic-speaking, Persian-backed Nestorian Church) tried to compel the Armenian Church to abandon Rome and Byzantium in favor of the Nestorians or simply convert to Zoroastrianism. He summoned the leading Armenian nobles to Ctesiphon, and pressured them into cutting their ties with the Orthodox Church as he had intended. Yazdegerd II himself was a Zoroastrian rather than a Christian, and his concern was not enforcing a Nestorian orthodoxy but securing political loyalty.

    According to Armenian tradition, attempts at demolishing churches and building fire-temples were made and a number of Zoroastrian magi were sent, with Persian military backing, to replace Armenian clergy and suppress Christianity.

    But Yazdegerd's policy created, rather than forestalled, a Christian rebellion in Armenia. When news about the compulsion of the nobles reached Armenia, a mass revolt broke out; on their return, the nobility, led by Vardan Mamikonian, joined the rebels. Yazdegerd II, hearing the news, gathered a massive army to attack Armenia. Vardan Mamikonian sent to Constantinople for aid, as he had good personal relations with Theodosius II, who had made him a general, and he was after all fighting to remain in the Orthodox Church; but this assistance did not arrive in time.

    Battle


    A 15th century Armenian miniature depicting the battle

    The 66,000-strong Armenian army took Holy Communion before the battle. The army was a popular uprising, rather than a professional force, but the Armenian nobility who led it and their respective retinues were accomplished soldiers, many of them veterans of the Sassanid dynasty's wars with Rome and the nomads of Central Asia. The Armenians were allowed to maintain a core of their national army led by a supreme commander (sparapet) who was traditionally of the Mamikonian noble family. The Armenian cavalry was, at the time, practically an elite force greatly appreciated as a tactical ally by both Persia and Byzantium. In this particular case, both officers and men were additionally motivated by a desire to save their religion and their way of life. The Persian army, said to be three times larger, included war elephants and the famous Savārān, or New Immortal, cavalry. Several Armenian noblemen with weaker Christian sympathies, led by Vasak Siuni, went over to the Persians before the battle, and fought on their side; in the battle, Vardan won initial successes, but was eventually slain along with eight of his top officers.

    The efforts of the rebels were immortalised by Armenian chroniclers, who attribute to Vartan the inspiring words, “An unexpected death means merely dying, but a death willingly borne renders one immortal”.

    The 1,036 Vartanank are considered martyrs by the Armenian Church. They are celebrated as saints each year on the Thursday before Lent. Though losing this particular battle in the fight in the name of Christianity, the story of Vartan Mamikonian and those who struggled alongside him is often cited in Armenian circles as ultimately a moral victory. But even in practical terms, a huge dent was made on the Sassanid side, so much so that Yazdegerd II backed out of his plan to impose paganism on the Armenians.





    Outcome

    Following the victory, Yazdegerd jailed some Armenian priests and nobles and appointed a new governor for Armenia.

    The Armenian Church was also unable to send a delegation to the Council of Chalcedon, as it was heavily involved in the war.Template:Citation needed The Armenian Church would reject the decisions of the Council of Chalcedon, instead adhering to Miaphysitism.

    Armenian resistance continued in the decades following the battle, led by Vardan's successor and nephew, Vahan Mamikonian. In 484 AD, Sahag Bedros I signed the Nvarsak Treaty, which guaranteed religious freedom to the Christian Armenians and granted a general amnesty with permission to construct new churches. Thus, the Armenians see the Battle of Avarayr as a moral victory; 26 May is considered to be a holy day by Armenians, and is one of the most important national and religious days in Armenia.


    Memorial to the Battle of Avarayr in Gyumri, Armenia

    Media

    "Lamp Unto My Feet" is an American religious program that was produced by CBS Television. In this episode, the program focuses on the Battle of Avarayr of 451 A.D. "Lamp Unto My Feet" was a religious television program that was produced by CBS and broadcast on Sunday mornings from 1948 to 1979.





    Music

    Armenian Folk Song- We Shall Not be Moved



    In Art

    Paintings of Vardan Mamikonian






    Battle of Avarayr










    http://www.armeniapedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Avarayr
    http://100years100facts.com/facts/ba...may-26-451-ad/

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    11-27-2019 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    steppe aristocracy (kaghan's, ilteber's, shad's, tegin's, bey's)
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Tengrist, by virtue
    Gender
    Posts
    307
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 76/33
    Given: 8/1

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Persian shahs were paying tribute to Huns. They weren't "King of Kings". Sassanids are exaggerated by modern Israeli and European/Western propaganda in an attempt to set the stage for the rise of a non-Shiite Persian nationalism.
    In order for this to happen, people need to be convinced that the Persian Sassanid state was greater than what it actually was.

    In reality, from 450 CE to 560 CE, the Sassanid state was a vassal, autonomous state paying tribute to White Huns/Hephtalites.

    Coins in Iran were minted on name and with symbols of Huns. Shahs of Iran were appointed by same Hephtalites.

    And Armenians themselves were vassals of those Sassanid vassals. Playing sometimes İranian card and some other time the Roman one.

  3. #3
    Shipping Back Up To Boston? 🦉
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

    Óttar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Location
    Denver CO
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Social Democrat 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Posts
    9,269
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5,324/176
    Given: 4,978/135

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigranes View Post
    Vardan Mamikonian sent to Constantinople for aid, as he had good personal relations with Theodosius II, who had made him a general, and he was after all fighting to remain in the Orthodox Church; but this assistance did not arrive in time.
    This man's father was literally the worst man in history. Worse than Hitler, Stalin, or Mao. I shit on his name.


    Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

  4. #4
    Inactive Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    03-06-2020 @ 08:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Gender
    Posts
    3,030
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,582/180
    Given: 2,514/183

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turxanthus View Post
    Playing sometimes İranian card and some other time the Roman one.
    Roman Empire had fallen, Iran turned into Islamic dump, no offence to Iranians fellas out there, Iran is a great country, but Islam...




    Lastly, Armenia still continues to exist as an independent state today, having history of thousands years, despite the Armenian Genocide, and all other massacres plotted against us. It's all about surviving, and there are other ways to be victorious, besides winning battles...
    Last edited by Tigranes; 10-26-2019 at 08:01 AM.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Armenian Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Location
    Armenian Highlands & California
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Armenian and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Armenian & Swiss
    Ancestry
    50% Armenian, from West of Lake Van; 25% Swiss, from Lake Biel Area; 25% Minnesota German.
    Country
    Armenia
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA
    U8b
    Politics
    Tashnagtsutyan
    Hero
    (1) Andranik Ozanian (2) Baroness Caroline Cox (3) Robert E Lee (4) Cyrano de Bergerac
    Religion
    Christian Mystic
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Gender
    Posts
    3,674
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3,462/302
    Given: 10,805/1,137

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    The Battle of Avaryar was no small matter, a victory for Armenian strategic vision, courage and valor. I see a Turkic mole in this Thread, Turxanthus whom scraped the bottom of the barrel to make a point about the circumstances of vassalage, but both the 5th Century Armenians and Sassanian Persians were formidable countries with standing armies.

    With the Battle of Avaryar, and the subsequent Treaty of Nvarsak, Armenia was able to boot out the Zoroastrians and establish Christianity. In the American Civil War, it was a daunting task to defeat an army twice the size, but at Avaryar Armenians faced an army at least 3 times as large, more credibly even 4 times as large; yet, the Persians had to resort to desperately throwing in their war elephants to tip the tide in their favor; despite that, Persian casualties were much much heavier, with the aftermath of the battle.

    Vahan Kurkjian's 500 page "History of Armenia" went into more detail about the Battle of Avaryar. Kurkjian put the number of the Sassanian army at 300,000 against Mamikonian's 66,000. The Persians brought 200 war elephants into the battle, which tipped the balance in their favor, after they had gotten mauled for hours. The Sassanian Persians lost more than 3,000 men at Avaryar, while Armenian casualties amounted to 1,036.

  6. #6
    I'm not a myth, I'm a Legend
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

    Kamal900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Country
    Palestine
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid+Med
    Hero
    Abdel Qader
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Gender
    Posts
    26,087
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25,734/1,068
    Given: 21,181/572

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian Bishop View Post
    The Battle of Avaryar was no small matter, a victory for Armenian strategic vision, courage and valor. I see a Turkic mole in this Thread, Turxanthus whom scraped the bottom of the barrel to make a point about the circumstances of vassalage, but both the 5th Century Armenians and Sassanian Persians were formidable countries with standing armies.

    With the Battle of Avaryar, and the subsequent Treaty of Nvarsak, Armenia was able to boot out the Zoroastrians and establish Christianity. In the American Civil War, it was a daunting task to defeat an army twice the size, but at Avaryar Armenians faced an army at least 3 times as large, more credibly even 4 times as large; yet, the Persians had to resort to desperately throwing in their war elephants to tip the tide in their favor; despite that, Persian casualties were much much heavier, with the aftermath of the battle.

    Vahan Kurkjian's 500 page "History of Armenia" went into more detail about the Battle of Avaryar. Kurkjian put the number of the Sassanian army at 300,000 against Mamikonian's 66,000. The Persians brought 200 war elephants into the battle, which tipped the balance in their favor, after they had gotten mauled for hours. The Sassanian Persians lost more than 3,000 men at Avaryar, while Armenian casualties amounted to 1,036.
    I see the same thing happened when the Armenians kicked the Azeribaijani asses during the war in karabakh war. Remember, numbers aren't everything.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    11-27-2019 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    steppe aristocracy (kaghan's, ilteber's, shad's, tegin's, bey's)
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Tengrist, by virtue
    Gender
    Posts
    307
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 76/33
    Given: 8/1

    -1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    The last Azerbaijani-Armenian war, with Russia's green light to Azerbaijanis (kind of orange revolution was burgeoning in Armenia to turn her into French Dependency) was won by Azerbaijan which took lands. It was the 4-day war of April 2016.

    People with inferior numbers crushing vast armies have been Jews during the 20th century, routing the Arabs.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Babak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Location
    United states
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Gender
    Posts
    3,726
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,522/70
    Given: 3,325/84

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turxanthus View Post
    Persian shahs were paying tribute to Huns. They weren't "King of Kings". Sassanids are exaggerated by modern Israeli and European/Western propaganda in an attempt to set the stage for the rise of a non-Shiite Persian nationalism.
    In order for this to happen, people need to be convinced that the Persian Sassanid state was greater than what it actually was.

    In reality, from 450 CE to 560 CE, the Sassanid state was a vassal, autonomous state paying tribute to White Huns/Hephtalites.

    Coins in Iran were minted on name and with symbols of Huns. Shahs of Iran were appointed by same Hephtalites.

    And Armenians themselves were vassals of those Sassanid vassals. Playing sometimes İranian card and some other time the Roman one.
    Yea, Sassanids were White huns/Turks who were larping as Iranians lmao

  9. #9
    Inactive Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    03-06-2020 @ 08:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Gender
    Posts
    3,030
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,582/180
    Given: 2,514/183

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    If you're interested in this thread, you might want to take a look at this one as well:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigranes View Post

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Babak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Location
    United states
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Gender
    Posts
    3,726
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,522/70
    Given: 3,325/84

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Default

    I think armos and persians got a long pretty well throughout history tbh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Battle of Fak-Fak
    By Peterski in forum War & Military
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2019, 07:26 PM
  2. Battle of Bileca
    By The Destroyer in forum Bosna i Hercegovina
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM
  3. Battle of Otranto and the Battle of Chaldiran
    By StonyArabia in forum War & Military
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2018, 07:46 PM
  4. Battle 360 - Battle Of Leyte Gulf
    By The Lawspeaker in forum War & Military
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •