View Poll Results: Germanics or others ?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Germanics

2 66.67%
  • Others

1 33.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a Question for English and British+Irish people.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,246
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    JamesBond007 is an Irish American pretending to be from Liverpool and you're I don't know what pretending to be a Swedish American. Can we all drop the act?
    I'm from New York but I have a second flat in Liverpool.I travel back and forth between Liverpool and New York. Liverpool is cheaper than London. Some Americans like Boris Johnson have a second flat in London ( I think he has one in London right ? ) I find London overrated and I have more in common ethnically with people from Liverpool as Liverpool has had larger Irish immigration than other parts. I have been called a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) by an Italian American woman and British by an Italian American man in New York so it is clear I don't look like the average American. The average American used to be a WASP but not anymore.

I'm Irish ? Anyway, Liverpool historically has had a lot of Irish immigration more so than any other part of England. Anyway, would an Irish man score between SouthEast England and Denmark (Angland) on a Eurogenes K15 PCA plot ? Also, Eurogenes Celtic Vs Germanic PCA plot did not plot me as Irish. You are more Irish than me genetically. If anything I would be Scottish or English not Irish.

Here is my Eurogenes K15 plot right between SouthEast England and Denmark (Angland) e.g. Uber WASP :

Here is my Eurogenes K36 Analysis by Tolan has me squarely in England not Ireland :

Here is my Eurogenes Celtic Vs Germanic PCA plot which has me in the English section, not Irish , close to the Dutch and closer to the ancient Anglo-Saxons the modern English sample Davidski used for this :

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,561
    Given: 27,897

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    I'm from New York but I have a second flat in Liverpool.I travel back and forth between Liverpool and New York. Liverpool is cheaper than London. Some Americans like Boris Johnson have a second flat in London ( I think he has one in London right ? ) I find London overrated and I have more in common ethnically with people from Liverpool as Liverpool has had larger Irish immigration than other parts. I have been called a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) by an Italian American woman and British by an Italian American man in New York so it is clear I don't look like the average American. The average American used to be a WASP but not anymore.

I'm Irish ? Anyway, Liverpool historically has had a lot of Irish immigration more so than any other part of England. Anyway, would an Irish man score between SouthEast England and Denmark (Angland) on a Eurogenes K15 PCA plot ? Also, Eurogenes Celtic Vs Germanic PCA plot did not plot me as Irish. You are more Irish than me genetically. If anything I would be Scottish or English not Irish.

Here is my Eurogenes K15 plot right between SouthEast England and Denmark (Angland) e.g. Uber WASP :

Here is my Eurogenes K36 Analysis by Tolan has me squarely in England not Ireland :

Here is my Eurogenes Celtic Vs Germanic PCA plot which has me in the English section, not Irish , close to the Dutch and closer to the ancient Anglo-Saxons the modern English sample Davidski used for this :

I guessed you was an American when I saw a post where you wrote 'math' instead of maths.

Do you support Liverpool and sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' like a true Scouser?! (Ironically I'm currently looking after a dog for someone on behalf of my manager - whose owner I've not met - and the dog lead is red and white and has the words 'You'll Never Walk Alone' written all over the dog lead... so the owner must be a Scouser.)

I know Scousers get teased a lot in the UK (even by their neighbours in Manchester,) although scousers are very down-to-earth people with an extremely proud and large working-class community. They have a strong working class spirit to their city and a close-knit community.

I find northern English people tend to be emotionally warmer and less socially restricted and they tend to openly show their feelings more, (people tend to be culturally colder in the south and more shy and reserved, especially in the south-east,) ... and Scousers tend to be very sentimental and openly cry a lot over things as they're less afraid to openly show their feelings in public. They also have a great sense of humour in the friendly and down-to-earth north of England.

It's a magical and very atmospheric song that captures the strong community spirit of Liverpudlians whenever they all stand together and sing this song during Liverpool football matches.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 10-26-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,034
    Given: 6,627

0 Not allowed!

Plotting somewhere on a PCA doesn't make you that nationality. You're of Irish and German ancestry from what I remember (England is genetically somewhat between) and your name ain't English.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, Scotland, & Wales
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    I-M223, R-L48
    mtDNA
    H27, V4
    Taxonomy
    Celtic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,213
    Given: 5,756

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCrusader View Post
    considering History of anti german sentiments among British people for centuries i was wondering what an average Brit thinks about this thing. do you(English, Scot, Welsh, Irish) identify more with Germanic people of Mainland Europe and Scandinavia or with Latin and Celtic Speaking people of Southern Europe ?

if you guys identify more with Germanic people, to whom you feel closest to ?
    I identify more with Germanics than Latin people or Southern Europeans. I think our culture is more similar. I feel positively about most countries, so I don’t really have any in Europe I don’t like. I have friends in Sweden and my mum lived there a bit when she was young, so I guess I feel a little closer to Sweden.

I think of Celts as just Brits and Irish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopi View Post
    Lily I dont even consider the south of England to be Northern Europe, have a north character , in terms of scenery or the personality of the people

you southerners are good as French to me ,,,normans in speech and character
    I think of southern Englanders as being more like Northern Europeans, and northern English and Scots being more like Southern Europeans. I think the southern English are more reserved, like a lot of Northern Europe, whereas Scots and people from Northern England seem to be more outgoing and openly friendly, as with a lot of Southern Europeans.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic+Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Irish, British, Norwegian, a little French
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Stockholm
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1b
    Hero
    David Attenborough
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 1,433

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Catkin View Post
    I think of southern Englanders as being more like Northern Europeans, and northern English and Scots being more like Southern Europeans. I think the southern English are more reserved, like a lot of Northern Europe, whereas Scots and people from Northern England seem to be more outgoing and openly friendly, as with a lot of Southern Europeans.
    As someone who lived for 20 years in Southern England, a year in Norway, and currently lives in Sweden; I can confirm this is accurate.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

I identify more with Germanics than Latin people or Southern Europeans. I think our culture is more similar. I feel positively about most countries, so I don’t really have any in Europe I don’t like. I have friends in Sweden and my mum lived there a bit when she was young, so I guess I feel a little closer to Sweden.

I think of Celts as just Brits and Irish too.

I agree.... northern English and Scots are a lot more emotional, more extroverted, and warmer people than the more introverted, serious, and reserved southern English people generally tend to be - especially in the south-east.

My best friend who died was from Manchester. Each year I've travelled long hours on trains in pouring rain to place a candle and poetry I wrote on their grave.

They say opposites attract and the only English men I ever dated were from northern England, as I was charmed by their very warm, confident, outgoing, friendly and macho northern English ways... and they're extremely humorous too... whereas I'm not very talkative in real life, very shy and nervous a lot, and in relationships I find it easier if one person does all the talking and I can just quietly listen. (Two extroverts or two introverts in a relationship would clash I think, as there needs to be a balance.)

I love Lancastrian and Mancunian accents... they make my heart melt as they sound so warm and friendly.

Northerners call us as 'southern softies' and southern fairies' and often say southerners are 'snooty', but I think they misunderstand us as we're just more reserved and shy.

See how cold and introverted people are in London:
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 10-26-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,482
    Given: 6,982

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopi View Post
    Lily I dont even consider the south of England to be Northern Europe, have a north character , in terms of scenery or the personality of the people

you southerners are good as French to me ,,,normans in speech and character
    This is nonsense.
    Do you really know anything of England? Or are you primarily an Iberian?

This is absolutely right.
    In all countries the Northerners are said to be more reserved and cold, whilst the South is deemed as the easy going part.
    This stereotype doesn't apply at all to England.
    Kent and Sussex are probably —in mindset and attitude— the closest thing to Denmark England can offer.
    East Anglia is rather reminiscent of Holland.
    And Northern England (the anteroom to Scotland) has much more commonalities with Central Continental Europe.

England is unique because it was built upside down.
    Last edited by Ouistreham; 10-26-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Some Americans like Boris Johnson have a second flat in London ( I think he has one in London right ? )
    Eh?! He's the UK Prime Minister!!! (James Bond should know that. )

(Of course he lives in London as he's the UK Prime Minister! He's the former London Mayor, so he's lived here a long time. He currently holds the parliamentary seat for the west Greater London parliamentary constituency of Uxbridge and South Ruislip.)

Firstly, Boris isn't 'American';- he was born in Manhattan and has a mixture of American, British, Russian and other ancestries, but was raised in England where he's permanently lived for most of his life.

He had dual nationality for many years, but he later revoked his American citizenship to avoid the U.S. laws of having to pay taxes in two nations. So he no longer has American citizenship.

He was educated in expensive independent schools and went to the elite and aristocratic 'public' (independent/private) school of Eton in England. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...nited_Kingdom)

He doesn't even have an American accent - nor American citizenship anymore since he revoked it. He has a distinctly upper class accent of southern English origin, so he was culturally raised in the south of England like the late Princess Diana.

As for his home.... he's lived in large homes in England for many years with his wives and 5 or 6 children here - including Boris's illegitimate love child, along with his butlers and maids and nannies. Boris said he once hired a model to be a nanny to his children. (Boris's divorced parents both have large homes in the countryside here, and his famous brothers along with his annoying anti-Brexit politician/journalist sister have large homes here too.)

His Conservative politician younger brother Jo Johnson has a large home here.

His English son Theodore Apollo lives here.

Boris's children are English barristers or high court judges with large homes here too.

He's the Prime Minister, so he currently lives in the historic large 'museum' home of 10 Downing Street in Westminster, London - the official residence of the UK Prime Minister.... with his own private bar and private restaurant included inside the large and palatial house.

The official countryside residence for the UK Prime Minister (currently Boris Johnson) is Chequers.

Chequers, or Chequers Court, is the country house of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. A 16th century manor house in origin, it is located near the village of Ellesborough, halfway between Princes Risborough and Wendover in Buckinghamshire, (south-east England) United Kingdom, at the foot of the Chiltern Hills.

Chequers has been the country home of the Prime Minister since 1921. The house is listed Grade I on the National Heritage List for England.

Your question is like asking if 'Scottish' or 'German' Trump now lives in the U.S.... or asking if he's currently living in a flat/apartment in the U.S. as a second home.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 10-26-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

0 Not allowed!

Probably identify the most with Dutch and Belgians. However, the historic rivalries with both France and Germany are too strong.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    This is nonsense.
    Do you really know anything of England? Or are you primarily an Iberian?

This is absolutely right.
    In all countries the Northerners are said to be more reserved and cold, whilst the South is deemed as the easy going part.
    This stereotype doesn't apply at all to England.
    Kent and Sussex are probably —in mindset and attitude— the closest thing to Denmark England can offer.
    East Anglia is rather reminiscent of Holland.
    And Northern England (the anteroom to Scotland) has much more commonalities with Central Continental Europe.

England is unique because it was built upside down.
    I agree.

See all the windmills and tulip fields and canals in the lowland area of East Anglia on this page: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...ls#post6291359

East Anglia is a geographical area in the East of England. The area included has varied but the legally defined NUTS 2 statistical unit comprises the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, including the City of Peterborough unitary authority area. The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of the East Angles, a tribe whose name originated in Anglia, northern Germany.

The North Sea is adjacent to the east.

Holland-on-Sea, (formerly 'Little Holland',) east Essex, south-east England. The village of Great Holland is in east Essex.

Holland-on-Sea is a seaside town in east Essex. Located south of the little village of Great Holland and directly north of Clacton-on-Sea, it has bus links to Walton-on-the-Naze and Clacton-on-Sea. It is a short coastal walk down the coastline to Clacton.

There is a public library, four churches, St Bartholomew’s Church (Church of England), All Souls Catholic Church, Holland Methodist and a Baptist church. The village has several independent shops, a village hall, a primary school, one main hotel (The Kings Cliff Hotel), plus a number of guest houses and pubs. It has several beaches with facilities for bathing and boating. There are two Sites of Special Scientific Interest, Holland Haven Marshes, part of which is Holland Haven Country Park, and Holland-on-Sea Cliff.

Holland-on-Sea was known as Little Holland, a small village until the early 20th century.

During the Second World War Holland-on-Sea was fortified against German attack. There is a Martello tower in nearby Clacton, which was also used during the Second World War. There is a Second World War pill box in Holland Haven Country Park. After the Second World War Holland-on-Sea went back to being a holiday town.
    In the south of England we like Earl Grey teas, Lady Grey teas, herbal teas, continental European breakfasts and freshly squeezed smoothies - which are often served in many cafes here, sushi bars are popular here too.

The rugged and hilly south-west ('West Country') and the English Riviera along the south-west coast has areas that sometimes resembles the Med during the summer, (although it still maintains an English core with lots of old thatched English countryside cottages and ancient Celtic stone circles and old Celtic, Roman, and English castles, etc,) and we have palm trees and lots of windsurfers and speedboats in my original seaside hometown on the south-west coast .... pages 1-3: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...ight=Windmills

The Celtic Sea, North Atlantic Ocean and English Channel surrounds Cornwall... and the large windy waves from the North Atlantic are popular with surfers along the Cornish coasts.

The entire City of Bath in Somerset, south-west England, is a World Heritage Site city... with ancient Roman spas in this spa city. (There's lots of beautiful old English Georgian architecture there too and some of my relatives now live there.)

We can see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) in England every few years here which can be seen in areas of southern England too: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...ts#post6291247

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 05-02-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information