View Poll Results: Opinions?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • British English

10 62.50%
  • American English

6 37.50%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American English vs British English?

Banned
    Last Online
    11-27-2019 @ 06:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    It's me I adore
    Country
    Bahamas
    Hero
    Myself
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 505
    Given: 284

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    Some Welsh accents.

The narrator in the video clip below is southern English and speaks with a standard southern Received Pronunciation accent, but the policeman at 1:52 is Welsh.

Metal vocalist/musician Matt Tuck has a southern Welsh accent as he's from Bridgend.... which is different to the northern, eastern , and western Welsh varieties of accents.

Some of the varieties of Scottish British accents.

0:58
    I love her accent

Banned
    Last Online
    11-27-2019 @ 06:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    It's me I adore
    Country
    Bahamas
    Hero
    Myself
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 505
    Given: 284

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dna8 View Post
    In order descending, those British (accent) spectra I like best:

English
    Welsh
    Irish/Scottish, Scottish/Irish
    Irish =/= British
    Ireland is not the UK

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by glambutera View Post
    I love her accent
    That's Hannah Murray. (She was born and raised in the city of Bristol in Somerset, south-west England.)

This is the famous and stereotypical Bristolian accent in the UK (below) ... it's one of the varieties of various 'West Country' rhotic accents from south-west England. Rhotic accents have a strong R pronunciation in words.

Not all West Country folk have West Country accents though.

I'm originally from the seaside town of Bournemouth (pronounced as 'Born-muth') on the eastern side of the county of Dorset in south-west England - but I don't have a West Country accent, and neither do my parents or sisters or cousins or anyone in my schools.

In fact most people in my orginal hometown of B'm'th speak with a neutral standard RP southern accent and have no strong regional accent. I always felt like I don't have an accent.

The West Country accents start to be heard more the further west one travels in the county of Dorset.

A few of my school teachers had slight West Country accents, and some of my aunts and uncles have strong West Country accents as they were raised in West Dorset, and my nan had a very faint and subtle West Country accent that could be heard sometimes. And not all Cornish people have Cornish West Country accents. When I lived in Dorset I met some Moonraker folk from the neighbouring county of Wiltshire (Wilts) who spoke with West Country accents.

The West Country accents tend to be stereotyped with farmers and pirates... as we have a lot of farmers, farmland, and a proud and celebrated history of famous sea pirates, privateers, and sea captains, who've received knighthoods from Queen Elizabeth I for serving her interests during the golden era of pirates in the Caribbean... such as the famous West Country pirates, explorers, and sea captains Sir Francis Drake and Sir Walter Raleigh (in the portrait paintings below,) who helped to protect England by defeating the Spanish Armada. That's why Johnny Depp impersonates a West Country accent in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Rhotic accents (the strong R pronunciation in words) were actually more widespread and were spoken throughout England during Queen Elizabeth I and Shakespeare's era, but today rhotic accents are mostly confined to the West Country of south-west England, and also a variety of different rhotic accents are used to this day throughout Ireland, Canada, and the U.S.

Supermodel, movie actress, and academic Lily Cole is originally from Devon in the West Country and she doesn't have a West Country accent either, but she went to a posh independent private school for girls in West London where she gained high grades. She also gained high grades in her post school A-Level studies in English language, English literature, philosophy, ethics, and a range of other subjects, before putting her international modeling career to one side to complete one of her university degrees in the History of Art at Cambridge University.... where she gained the highest possible honour after passing her exams. She doesn't have any contact with her father and believes he was a fisherman, and was raised by her poet mother and her siblings in West London and has a standard neutral southern accent, with no strong regional accent.

Kate talks with an Estuary south London accent from south-east England, and has been teased by the media over her lack of school education and 'common/low-class' accent. She said the reason why she rarerly gives interviews is because of being teased over her accent. https://jadejoddle.com/kate-moss-how-she-speaks/ She's originally from Croydon, which is now a part of Greater South London.

Originally from Croydon, London, Kate Moss has an Estuary English accent. Below are some of the pronunciation features observable in her accent:

• /t/ in the middle of words said as a glottal stop

• -ing word endings become -ink endings, for example ‘somethink’

• /r/ sound in some instances pronounced with the lip down to sound more like /w/ (Cockney pronunciation feature)

At the time Kate Moss rose to fame in the early 1990’s, the British media was not as diverse as it is today in terms of the accents it portrayed. In the British public eye at least, there was very much still a sense of what is the ‘right’ way to speak and of how English ‘should’ be spoken. When people in the public eye did not speak in the so-called ‘right’ way, then written complaints were often made to the BBC.

One show in particular called ‘Points of View’ would feature letters of complaint focusing on issues of language or grammar and the supposedly ‘right’ way to say things.

Although the pedantic British public has nothing to do with Kate Moss herself nor her decision not to speak in public, it does serve to evoke the kind of Britain she was living in in terms of accent and speech—one where you would have been openly judged or publically criticized for not speaking supposedly ‘correctly.’ As an Estuary English speaker with South London pronunciation features in her accent, Kate Moss’s accent is anything but ‘proper English’.

https://jadejoddle.com/kate-moss-how-she-speaks/
    Now she's a multi-millionaire in her forties (below) her accent sounds a little bit more refined as I think she had some elocution lessons like David Beckham (who many people say used to speak very common with his East London accent when he was young, but now he sounds a bit more posh in interviews after losing some of his East London accent.) You can still hear some of the south London/Estuary in Kate's accent though. I think Kate's voice is cute (even though she incorrectly pronounces words such as 'something' as 'somethink'.) Her teenage model daughter Lila Grace talks with a more refined accent as she goes to a private school.

The RP 'accent' is seen as the standard pronunciation of words in the UK. This is the type of southern accent that has no strong regional tones and is often used in TV documentary narration and in the media, etc. RP is usually what Americans think of when they say 'British accent' as it's the standard. When foreign people are taught the British pronunciation of words during English lessons, they're usually taught using a standard southern RP pronunciation.

Received Pronunciation (RP), commonly called BBC English in North America and Standard British pronunciation or Southern British pronunciation by North American scholars, is an accent of Standard English in the United Kingdom and is defined in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary as "the standard accent of English as spoken in the south of England", although it can be heard from native speakers throughout England and Wales.

Peter Trudgill estimated in 1974 that 3 per cent of people in Britain were RP speakers, but this rough estimate has been questioned by the phonetician J. Windsor Lewis. Clive Upton notes higher estimates of 5% (Romaine, 2000) and 10% (Wells, 1982) but refers to all these as "guestimates" that are not based on robust research.

Formerly colloquially called "(the) King's English", RP enjoys high social prestige in Britain, being thought of as the accent of those with power, money, and influence, though it may be perceived negatively by some as being associated with undeserved privilege. Since the 1960s, a greater permissiveness toward regional English varieties has taken hold in education.

The study of RP is concerned exclusively with pronunciation, whereas Standard English, the Queen's English, Oxford English, and BBC English are also concerned with matters such as grammar, vocabulary, and style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation
    Liz Hurley has an upper middle class southern accent, and her son was taught to speak this way too.

And Sophie Ellis-Bextor is from an upper middle class family, and she's very polite, modest, reserved, quiet and charming, and she speaks and sings with a high class and posh accent as she was raised in West London in southern England, and she went to an independent private girls school. (The same school as Lily Cole.) She said she doesn't like the culture of celebs removing their clothes to sell records, and she said she dislikes rude people and prefers to quietly ignore people who use a lot of swearing or bad language or who have rude mannerisms. Her English husband and their five sons all speak with middle class/RP southern accents.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-01-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Irish =/= British
    Ireland is not the UK
    Northern Ireland is part of the U.K.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,401
    Given: 15,499

1 Not allowed!

British, as diction and grammar are much the same as Canadian English.
    Anglo Saxon + Frank (4.336)
    Viking Danish + Frank (4.338)
    Gael + Frank (4.39)
    Anglo Saxon (4.393)
    Viking Danish + Anglo Saxon (4.568)

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

1 Not allowed!

American transatlantic accent examples. Very rare to hear this now.

William F Buckley and Gore Vidal

George Plimpton

Katharine Hepburn

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

0 Not allowed!

Irish =/= British
    Ireland is not the UK
    It is, however, a "British Isle." I occasionally use "British" to refer to both islands, and I think that's accurate.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    When I refer to British English I mean English from England especially London, I understand that English from Scotland, Wales, Ireland and other parts of England sounds different, but the most famous British English is from London.

I always believed that the reason why American English sounds different was because American settlers wanted to differentiate themselves from British people, not the other way around.
    I've heard that American pronunciation is truer to how English was spoken prior to the colonial split. I don't know how true that is, and I am a bit skeptical. But there's no denying that British English has evolved significantly and not everything that differs between the two dialects is attributable to American developments.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,853
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I've heard that American pronunciation is truer to how English was spoken prior to the colonial split. I don't know how true that is, and I am a bit skeptical. But there's no denying that British English has evolved significantly and not everything that differs between the two dialects is attributable to American developments.
    Apart from rhoticism, I don't believe modern American pronunciation is very similar to the majority of English dialects that were spoken in the Early Modern period. Standard American English is quite progressive and always seems to have been (thanks to the type of English people that settled America), the numerous old English dialects were best preserved in the rural and regional dialects/accents of England and Scotland that are their direct descendants, with their many archaicisms. Remember that the English dialects of the 1500s-1700s were even more distinct and numerous than they were in the 20th century, and I've posted some examples of those earlier. American English accents have also been notably influenced by other ethnicities.

Even original Shakespearian pronunciation (which like modern Received Pronunciation was not the only speech in England), sounds most like stereotypical West Country rural people of all modern accents, with a hint of Midlands and East Anglia as well.
    Last edited by Creoda; 11-01-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

0 Not allowed!

As an outsider, I perceive the following major accent sets informing the Continental United States of America:

West Coast, Western (from Montana to New Mexico/ Arizona), Texan, Southern, Northern (e.g. Minnesotan), Mid Western (in the way of Illinios, Ohio, Indiana et al), East Coast, North East (example member: New England).

"Southern" is the largest/broadest set.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information