View Poll Results: Opinions?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • British English

10 62.50%
  • American English

6 37.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American English vs British English?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic+Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Irish, British, Norwegian, a little French
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Stockholm
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1b
    Hero
    David Attenborough
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,673
    Given: 1,433

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    So Canadian English would be neutral English? Interesting.
    Which accent of the United States or others countries do you not like?
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, since that wasn't really what I was trying to imply. To me, British English is "neutral English" since it's what I grew up hearing and speaking every single day, and it's what I speak by default (although I can do a sick valley girl accent if I have to, but that's another story), but what one considers neutral is subjective to each individual. Canadian English sounds the same as (standard) American English when spoken to me, although I'm given to understand that they spell words the same way as we do rather than using the American spelling, so I suppose it's somewhat of an intermediary dialect.

Assuming you mean in spoken English: I dislike Russian, Indian and "redneck" accents the most, and my favourite English accents are Australian, Finnish and Dutch.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

0 Not allowed!

Would love to get people's input on the Pittsburgh accent. It's really something to hear, very classy.

Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,757

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by farke1 View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, since that wasn't really what I was trying to imply. To me, British English is "neutral English" since it's what I grew up hearing and speaking every single day, and it's what I speak by default (although I can do a sick valley girl accent if I have to, but that's another story), but what one considers neutral is subjective to each individual. Canadian English sounds the same as (standard) American English when spoken to me, although I'm given to understand that they spell words the same way as we do rather than using the American spelling, so I suppose it's somewhat of an intermediary dialect.

Assuming you mean in spoken English: I dislike Russian, Indian and "redneck" accents the most, and my favourite English accents are Australian, Finnish and Dutch.
    Ahh ok, you meant that Canadian English sounds the same as American, if it also sounds the same to me.
    Rednecks are the worst ones who speak English in the entire Anglo-sphere, not including others such as Jamaicans or African English.
    I have listened to Australian English and it sounds very familiar to the British I guess that is why it has more relationship.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Would love to get people's input on the Pittsburgh accent. It's really something to hear, very classy.

Sounds great but the man is very loud.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic+Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Stockholm
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1b
    Hero
    David Attenborough
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I have listened to Australian English and it sounds very familiar to the British I guess that is why it has more relationship.
    Interesting that you'd say this as I don't think the two dialects sound similar at all, but again my perspective is biased so it's refreshing to hear other people's opinions. To me, this is the English language unleashed at peak performance:

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

0 Not allowed!

Sounds great but the man is very loud.
    That is becuase Pittsburgh dudes are always mad and yelling at their kids. He speaks what is call a Yinzer accent. Kind of a blue collar accent.

"Yinzer" (or "Yunzer") was historically used to identify the typical blue-collar people from the Pittsburgh region who often spoke with a heavy Pittsburghese accent. The term stems from the word yinz (or yunz), a second-person plural pronoun, brought to the area by early Scots-Irish immigrants. Over time, yinzer has been used by many Pittsburgh residents to self-identify, even if they didn't speak with a thick accent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinzer

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by farke1 View Post
    Interesting that you'd say this as I don't think the two dialects sound similar at all, but again my perspective is biased so it's refreshing to hear other people's opinions. To me, this is the English language unleashed at peak performance:

Well, keep in mind that English is not my mother lenguage, therefore, I will not know 100% what the differences are between all the accents of English, but for my foreign ears the Australian accent sounds more similar to British than American/Canadian, when I hear Australian celebrities like Chris Hemsworth or Nicole Kidman remind me of the British accent.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic+Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Stockholm
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1b
    Hero
    David Attenborough
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well, keep in mind that English is not my mother lenguage, therefore, I will not know 100% what the differences are between all the accents of English, but for my foreign ears the Australian accent sounds more similar to British than American/Canadian, when I hear Australian celebrities like Chris Hemsworth or Nicole Kidman remind me of the British accent.
    Of course. I didn't mean to say that "you're wrong", so sorry if it came across that way; merely that it's interesting for me to hear how other people interpret the sound of my own dialect since it's not something I generally notice on a day-to-day basis. I'll take it as a compliment anyway since the Australian accent is my favourite dialect of English.

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

0 Not allowed!

Americans are much more refined when it comes to the usage of English and pronunciation.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

I think the spellings in UK European English are more complicated for foreign people to learn, (our spellings are closer to old French, old Latin, and old German spellings,) with spellings in UK English such as 'jewellery', 'colour', 'theatre,' 'sceptical', 'draught,' 'programme', 'analogue', 'liquorice,' 'mould,' 'manoeuvre,' 'analyse,' 'plough', 'aluminium', 'diarrhoea', 'paediatrician,' 'dialogue,' 'catalogue,'
    'grey', 'aeroplane,' 'yoghurt', 'pay-cheque', which are some examples out of many: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ng_differences

I personally relate more to UK spellings (which are the spellings also used in many former British Empire nations around the globe.) The decorative ways of spelling UK English words are a lot more poetic and soulful to me as it's a bit closer to Shakespeare's spellings, and also because that's the way I was taught to spell as a child in schools, and it's the way my relatives spell.... so I feel a connection to my childhood and my relatives by spelling in the same way that my friends and relatives do in greeting cards and letters whenever we write to each other.

Countries that use UK English spellings are shown in red (which also includes the massive 1.2 billion population of India who are currently the world's third largest English language book producers.)

American English spellings are more simplified as they basically spell words closer to how the words are pronounced, such as 'center' rather than 'centre' in UK English (which is more similar to French spellings.)

In terms of pronunciations... hmm... not sure as both countries have some strange ways of pronouncing certain words. (Eg; the way herbs are pronounced as 'erbs' in the U.S. and their strange way of pronouncing 'route' and 'roof'.) Canadians have a strange way of pronouncing 'about', and UK people can have some strange ways of pronouncing certain words... especially in the Highlands of Scotland and amongst Cockneys, Brummies, and Geordies.

I love Irish accents even though they struggle to pronounce TH in words.

There's a much larger variety of accents across all four countries in the Isles than in the entire U.S. according to linguists.

I used to have difficulties telling Canadian accents apart from US accents, but over the last few years I've listened to loads and loads of US and Canadian documentaries, and I've now become more familiar at detecting the differences between the Canadian and U.S. accents.

I love Califorrnian accents, some of the Scottish accents, some English accents (especially Lancastrian,) and some Welsh and Northern Irish accents. I like Aussie and Kiwi accents too.

Jamaican English has some similarities to Irish pronunciations... as both are rhotic and both struggle to say TH in words. Some West Country English (including the Cornish) also have rhotic accents, and so do Canadians and Americans.

I'm not sure if the queston by the OP relates to pronunciations, accents, spellings, emphasis, intonations, popular slang terms, or to all the other complexities attached to languages. And why can people only choose between the US and UK when there's also lots of other varieties of English in the other English speaking nations around the world?
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-01-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information