Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

1 Not allowed!

Default Julie Victoria Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors

Jones' Sword of Shadows series is one of my top three favorite fantasy series of all time, alongside A Song of Ice and Fire and, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

I think that soon I will read the entire Thomas Covenant series back to back, without breaks in between books.

If the Sword of Shadows series were a completed series, then things would get very interesting indeed, in the context of my having to choose which series - Sword of Shadows or The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - I wish to read in its entirety (back to back, no breaks in between books).

I came across Jones' Sword of Shadows for years in bookstores before I decided to finally purchase it - the book cover art had always discouraged me.

The cover art of my copy was the same as the one below:

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I plan to get really hard into reading popular/genre fiction again.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I plan to grow a new sense of self.

Some of the features of the sense of self I have in mind:

- Reads a lot of popular fiction/genre books.
    - Bearded.
    - Totally sober.
    - Enjoys eating nice food.
    - Has a set, limited collection of clothing: 2 x shorts, 1 x jeans, 2 x pants, 2 x shirt, 2 x singlet, 2 x jacket, Roman sandals, 10 x sock, 10 x undergarment.
    - Watches a film at the cinema once fortnightly.
    - Has limited interaction with others.
    - Frequents second hand bookstores.
    - Walks with hands clasped behind back (if not walking his dog).
    - Drinks flavored milk and various smoothies.

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,518
    Given: 24,970

1 Not allowed!

Dear Dna8,

A long time ago, as a child (having a sleepover at my best friend's house), I came across a booklet designed as a companion guide/instructions for The Hobbit *computer game (floppy disc). In the booklet I found these brief descriptions of a wonderful fantasy world, Middle Earth, and the creatures that inhabit it. I can still remember reading, for the first time, about Hobbits. I don't know why but it just clicked, I was enamored.

Soon thereafter I read the famous book of the same name, The Hobbit. And that was it for me, it was all I ever really needed.

Sure, I have read other fantasy/fiction books/series since. A VERY popular one from more recent years in fact, did not work for me at all. Even The Lord of the Rings, which I have read 2x, was just not the same. (I have said on here before, Jackson's films really don't work for me either).

But ultimately, as you my friend seem to voraciously read and devour these various fantasy series from various fantasy authors - here I am, more than content to obsess on the details, and continue to re-live and re-experience the original experience. And I think that this personality tendency of mine is quite consistent with how I enjoy the arts, how I spend my days, how I live my life really.

So, what's the point of my comment besides illustrating/contrasting the ways in which we (you and I) enjoy our fantasy/fiction (which I find quite interesting, actually)?

- Well, just to say thank you for highlighting the above book, The Cavern of Black Ice. Your endorsement carries massive clout as far as I am concerned, and this is as good a place as any for me to make my long overdue return to the genre. I actually find the cover art appealing, if not wholly original. The mountains, the snow, the implied cold and the implied threat all appeal to to something deep in my core.

Re: Your new sense of self -- I truly hope you can find some peace, brate.

*Apple II, I believe.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 11-01-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Dear Dna8,

A long time ago, as a child (having a sleepover at my best friend's house), I came across a booklet designed as a companion guide/instructions for The Hobbit *computer game (floppy disc). In the booklet I found these brief descriptions of a wonderful fantasy world, Middle Earth, and the creatures that inhabit it. I can still remember reading, for the first time, about Hobbits. I don't know why but it just clicked, I was enamored.

Soon thereafter I read the famous book of the same name, The Hobbit. And that was it for me, it was all I ever really needed.

Sure, I have read other fantasy/fiction books/series since. A VERY popular one from more recent years in fact, did not work for me at all. Even The Lord of the Rings, which I have read 2x, was just not the same. (I have said on here before, Jackson's films really don't work for me either).

But ultimately, as you my friend seem to voraciously read and devour these various fantasy series from various fantasy authors - here I am, more than content to obsess on the details, and continue to re-live and re-experience the original experience. And I think that this personality tendency of mine is quite consistent with how I enjoy the arts, how I spend my days, how I live my life really.

So, what's the point of my comment besides illustrating/contrasting the ways in which we (you and I) enjoy our fantasy/fiction (which I find quite interesting, actually)?

- Well, just to say thank you for highlighting the above book, The Cavern of Black Ice. Your endorsement carries massive clout as far as I am concerned, and this is as good a place as any for me to make my long overdue return to the genre. I actually find the cover art appealing, if not wholly original. The mountains, the snow, the implied cold and the implied threat all appeal to to something deep in my core.

Re: Your new sense of self -- I truly hope you can find some peace, brate.

*Apple II, I believe.
    Thank you for taking the time to write your post.

The above quoted, and the rep. comment you sent me, made my day, druze

Thread Information