Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

2 Not allowed!

Default On only one occasion has a fantasy novel moved me to tears

If I am not mistaken, I shed tears during the conclusion of, White Gold Wielder, the last book in the second trilogy of, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

Assuming I recall correctly, my emotional reaction was a response to Covenant, the series' protagonist, experiencing catharsis.

I speculate that I was moved to tears on account or relating with the following particular aspect of the protagonist's character: his chronic and unrelenting psychic tension (along the lines of neuroticism).

The premise of the series is such that Thomas Covenant wakes up in an alternative world/reality subsequent to being hit by a police car (immediately prior to being hit by a police car, Covenant has an encounter with a curiously robed beggar, who makes several cryptic pronouncements, and leaves Covenant with the admonition to "be true.").

The premise in and of itself, structurally, accommodates my appetite for reading as "escape". Covenant's position* - the sheer black and white of it (as one discovers while the series develops) - appeals to my own tendency for black and white thinking.

To elaborate upon my own experience/habit of black and white, or, extreme, thinking: it is a psychological phenomenon cousin to [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitt...y)#Depression], I hypothesize.

I also identify as a Covert or Secret Schizoid, in certain respects.

While I am a psyche aficionado and a lover of subcultures, if psyches are stringed instruments, I have a powerful need/drive for my own to be single stringed.

* Is the alternative reality he finds himself in real or not (is it objectively real and in existence or a figment of his imagination (perhaps, a motif from the coma or delirium he is in on account of being hit by the police car)?)?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Your Cuddly Choco Bear
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Vienna
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,077
    Given: 58,865

1 Not allowed!

I dont rememer shedding tears to a movie but I shed tears to a song once. I had goose bumps over my back and had tears in my eyes.

My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    It’s important to say, that on upcoming 8 April we will mark our national day. It’s disrespectful from Non Profit organisations to claim ,,international “ Roma day. We are one Nation, with one race for which we have paid huge price during WWII and with one language rooted to Hindi. We are the Romani nation. - Michael Daduc The Roma Nation Movement
    Germany is showing us what could soon happen to us in Austria with a left-wing Austro traffic light. Do we want a situation where we can no longer choose the heating system, but we can choose the gender? Hardly likely! Only a strong FPÖ and a Freedom Party People's Chancellor will know how to prevent such nonsense. - Herbert Kickl FPÖ Bundesobmann

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I look forward to a new sense of self occupying the remainder of my thirties, at least.

As intimated in another thread.

⚡treet ⚡atyr KuriousKatKommittee's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 11:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Country
    Antarctica
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,104
    Given: 3

1 Not allowed!

Default "Just my two cents."

Quote Originally Posted by Dna8 View Post
    I also identify as a Covert or Secret Schizoid, in certain respects.
    "Many schizoid individuals display an engaging, interactive personality, contradicting the observable characteristic emphasized by the DSM-5 and ICD-10 definitions of the schizoid personality. Guntrip (using ideas of Klein, Fairbairn and Winnicott) classifies these individuals as "secret schizoids", who behave with socially available, interested, engaged and involved interaction yet remain emotionally withdrawn and sequestered within the safety of the internal world.[22]:17[35]"
    Translated: Introvert but pretending to be extrovert. (These fucking fancy pseudo-psychiatric terms, psychology truly is pseudoscience lol.)
    While I am a psyche aficionado and a lover of subcultures, if psyches are stringed instruments, I have a powerful need/drive for my own to be single stringed.
    On only one occasion has a fantasy novel moved me to tears
    I feel you, dawg. I reserve my feelings to myself but am moved by your [nerd horoscope intensifies] (Fi) (Introverted Feeling) expression of attempting to balance your "genuine" self and your "people-pleasing" side (by that I mean conforming to societal expectations about who you should be based on arbitrary criteria unaligned with how you feel or think) of you which is natural of all even remotely socially functional introverts. Of course you are moved by any piece of art that acknowledges your feelings even in a small way because society doesn't care about us. About me, an almost socially retarded aspie, you, but even more extreme cases like psychopaths (Joker) and schizophrenics - there is no distinction in "normies"' eyes; all who do not conform to the current preapproved societal standard are freaks to "normies."

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KuriousKatKommittee View Post
    Translated: Introvert but pretending to be extrovert. (These fucking fancy pseudo-psychiatric terms, psychology truly is pseudoscience lol.)

I feel you, dawg. I reserve my feelings to myself but am moved by your [nerd horoscope intensifies] (Fi) (Introverted Feeling) expression of attempting to balance your "genuine" self and your "people-pleasing" side (by that I mean conforming to societal expectations about who you should be based on arbitrary criteria unaligned with how you feel or think) of you which is natural of all even remotely socially functional introverts. Of course you are moved by any piece of art that acknowledges your feelings even in a small way because society doesn't care about us. About me, an almost socially retarded aspie, you, but even more extreme cases like psychopaths (Joker) and schizophrenics - there is no distinction in "normies"' eyes; all who do not conform to the current preapproved societal standard are freaks to "normies."

Thank you for your post

Thread Information