Thread: Pentecostal Evangelicals: What Do You Think About Them?

Banned
    Last Online
    08-04-2021 @ 06:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,957
    Given: 57,209

0 Not allowed!

Default Pentecostal Evangelicals: What Do You Think About Them?

Eve though they appear as crazy, they tend to be very sincere in their faith and i believe they are some of the closest to the true Christianity..
    Don:t confound true "pentecostals" with neo-pentecostals btw

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

1 Not allowed!

Sam Storms wrote a good article here in support of continuationism. I would agree with him in his analysis: the burden of proof is on cessationists to explain why miracles ceased with the closing of the canon. Continuationism typically holds that signs and wonders served only to authenticate Jesus and His apostles. However, it appears there is Biblical support for other uses.

https://www.samstorms.com/enjoying-g...ontinuationist

An excerpt:

[N]owhere in the NT is the purpose or function of the miraculous or the charismata reduced to that of attestation. The miraculous, in whatever form in which it appeared, served several other distinct purposes: doxological (to glorify God - John 11:4; 11:40; John 2:11; 9:3; and Matt. 15:29-31); evangelistic (to prepare the way for the gospel to be made known - see Acts 9:32-43); pastoral (as an expression of compassion and love and care for the sheep - Matt. 14:14; Mark 1:40-41); and edification (to build up and strengthen believers - 1 Cor. 12:7 and the “common good”; 1 Cor. 14:3, 4, 5, 26).

All the gifts of the Spirit, whether tongues or teaching, whether prophecy or mercy, whether healing or helps, were given, among other reasons, for the edification, building up, encouraging, instructing, consoling and sanctifying of the body of Christ. Therefore, even if the ministry of the miraculous gifts to attest and authenticate has ceased, a point I concede only for the sake of argument, such gifts would continue to function in the church for the other reasons cited.

But it seems some charismatics chase after miracles for the wrong reasons. They're for edification, not amusement. Plus, false signs and wonders are real (2 Thessalonians 9-12), so we must test everything by the Scriptures (1 John 4:1).

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Sam Storms wrote a good article here in support of continuationism. I would agree with him in his analysis: the burden of proof is on cessationists to explain why miracles ceased with the closing of the canon. Continuationism typically holds that signs and wonders served only to authenticate Jesus and His apostles. However, it appears there is Biblical support for other uses.

https://www.samstorms.com/enjoying-g...ontinuationist

An excerpt:

But it seems some charismatics chase after miracles for the wrong reasons. They're for edification, not amusement. Plus, false signs and wonders are real (2 Thessalonians 9-12), so we must test everything by the Scriptures (1 John 4:1).
    I find the prophecies they give to be fascinating i believe in it, what do you think

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

1 Not allowed!

Pentecostals aren't bad but Evangelicals are usually money grubbing hypocrites at least the preachers are.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolsonaro View Post
    I find the prophecies they give to be fascinating i believe in it, what do you think
    What kind of prophecies?

If someone claims to have extra-biblical revelation, I would caution you very strongly against believing them. It's why when you hear about these near death experiences, and people allegedly going to heaven or hell, you must be careful with such accounts. The Bible is sufficient; it is God's full revelation when it comes to doctrine. Therefore, there's no need for extra-Biblical revelation about heaven or hell. What we already have in the Bible is perfectly sufficient. So any purported extra-biblical revelations about these things or about other matters of doctrine should be rejected.

If you mean eschatology, I must also differ. Generally, it seems charismatics are dispensational premillenialists, usually believing in a pre-tribulation rapture. I used to subscribe to this view, too. Not anymore. I think Christ's return will be a single event that ends the world and brings about final judgment and eternity. So I'm what you'd call an amillennialist.

Read this sermon, which is an excellent and thorough defense of amillennialism.

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/sermons/...ium/sermon.php

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    What kind of prophecies?

If someone claims to have extra-biblical revelation, I would caution you very strongly against believing them. It's why when you hear about these near death experiences, and people allegedly going to heaven or hell, you must be careful with such accounts. The Bible is sufficient; it is God's full revelation when it comes to doctrine. Therefore, there's no need for extra-Biblical revelation about heaven or hell. What we already have in the Bible is perfectly sufficient. So any purported extra-biblical revelations about these things or about other matters of doctrine should be rejected.

If you mean eschatology, I must also differ. Generally, it seems charismatics are dispensational premillenialists, usually believing in a pre-tribulation rapture. I used to subscribe to this view, too. Not anymore. I think Christ's return will be a single event that ends the world and brings about final judgment and eternity. So I'm what you'd call an amillennialist.

Read this sermon, which is an excellent and thorough defense of amillennialism.

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/sermons/...ium/sermon.php
    So would you affirm that these revelations are not really from God? I mean revelations like the ones about the future of someone.
    I have found many of them to sound very real.
    But they are strange, it sound somewhat like pagan religions... So i am really confuse.

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,127
    Given: 9,061

1 Not allowed!

idk what is pentecostal, but when it comes to evangelism its the religion closest to my mindset. The priest should be allowed to have wife and childs and not be commanded from Vatican.

Thread Information