Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Absolutely. And funny thing is that historically Hungarians have promoted form of civic nationalism like in France, not ethnic-nationalism like their German and Slavic neighbours.
    To them any citizen of Hungary was Hungarian, no blood and soil ideology like in Germany.

Lajos Kossuth, of Slovak and German origins, was most famous champion of civic nationalism in Hungarian history. Which made sense given how mixed Kingdom of Hungary was.
    I don't know about Orban's political ideology, but for me, he should promote the idea of Hungary being a Christian nation where any ethnic group is welcome for as long as they integrate and even assimilate to Hungarian cultural heritage and etc. I mean, why do you think Arabians for example look more diverse than the genetically isolated groups of the Levant? Arabians as a people don't give much crap about the phenotype of the person, and instead they care more about the culture of their people and etc.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2024 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,351
    Given: 4,487

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
    I have an ethnic Hungarian friend from Vojvodina hating him. He is very corrupted and power hungry according to his claims.
    I thought Jobbik is the turkophile Hungarians' party and Orbán is more 1488 kind of Hungarians' guy.
    There is no 1488 party in Hungary. Hungarians do not worship Hitler. Hitler was a disaster for Europeans and especially Germans, who will forever (unfairly) need to carry the burden of his terrible decisions. Hungarians were historically not seen as generally white until it became time to secure the Hungarian borders in the 21st century, now we are "too white". The only Hungarians who romanticize Hitler are a tiny minority of those who wish to align with German ideals or are nationalists who have German backgrounds or have a German nationalist girl who they want to court. Don't confuse historical European identity and white identity. The later is an American invention. Hungarians care about being Hungarians most, not worrying about being yellow or white or whatever.

Look at what Hitler thought of his "beloved" Germans who bled for him with discipline and tears and their lives against all odds. Here is also Meyers Ethnographic chart where you can see where Hungarians stood:

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,702
    Given: 8,964

0 Not allowed!

Erdogan isn't even a Turk

Idiot Brotherhood

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Absolutely. And funny thing is that historically Hungarians have promoted form of civic nationalism like in France, not ethnic-nationalism like their German and Slavic neighbours.
    To them any citizen of Hungary was Hungarian, no blood and soil ideology like in Germany.

Lajos Kossuth, of Slovak and German origins, was most famous champion of civic nationalism in Hungarian history. Which made sense given how mixed Kingdom of Hungary was.
    To give you an example of civic nationality, here are a couple of Palestinian Arabs of Slavic(Bosniak) ancestry:

It may sound strange for many peoples but they're ethnically Arabs if though they're originally Slavic from Bosnia.

Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 07:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Caucasus Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Religion
    Believes in God
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,441
    Given: 1,541

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    To give you an example of civic nationality, here are a couple of Palestinian Arabs of Slavic(Bosniak) ancestry:

It may sound strange for many peoples but they're ethnically Arabs if though they're originally Slavic from Bosnia.
    So the civic nationalism indicates you can choose your ethnicity or no? I am not so familiar with the term civic nationalism.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 21993 View Post
    So the civic nationalism indicates you can choose your ethnicity or no? I am not so familiar with the term civic nationalism.
    It's based on citizenship, belonging to one nation and sharing same language and culture rather than blood/tribal ties. Idea has origins in French Revolution.
    In Hungary it was even more extreme, even knowledge of Hungarian language was not a requirenment although they tired to impose Hungarian in entire Lands of Crown of St.Stephen

For example, Slovaks, or Croats in Međimurje (which was politically integral part of Hungary) were seen as Slavic-speaking Hungarians by Hungarian civic nationalists.
    Stears explained me that.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Colonial Virginia + Central and Eastern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Nullifier
    Hero
    John C. Calhoun
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,120
    Given: 11,131

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    In real life, it doesn't really exist. Any pan-ideologies ends up being a failure. Civic nationalism in my mind is the most realistic form of nationalism.
    Or maybe something between Ethno-Nationalism and Civic-Nationalism is best. For example, the US founding fathers would have accepted an Italian or Frenchman as an American, but they wouldn't have considered a Negro, even a free one, to be worthy of citizenship.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Or maybe something between Ethno-Nationalism and Civic-Nationalism is best.
    I completely agree with this part.

Less with the other. But I get your idea, you would want to mainly accept people racially and culturally not to different from American founding stock, which is completely understandible.
    I wouldn't mind individual Africans assimilated in my ethnicity though, or anyone else for that matter. As long as it's not in masses.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    YNWA
    Ethnicity
    The Human Race
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,385
    Given: 2,855

2 Not allowed!

Civic nationalism works only when the foreign party you assimilate has some genetic and cultural ties to the nation in question. Civic nationalism has not nor will it ever work in a place like the United States for example. What I'm trying to say is that you gotta draw the line somewhere.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFlash View Post
    Civic nationalism works only when the foreign party you assimilate has some genetic and cultural ties to the nation in question. Civic nationalism has not nor will it ever work in a place like the United States for example. What I'm trying to say is that you gotta draw the line somewhere.
    Well, yes. Assimilation of similar people will work, of very foreign people will not. And the main population base needs to remain local.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information