Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: who do you feel closer to? Your linguistic relatives, or your neighbours?

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,482
    Given: 6,982

1 Not allowed!

Let us face the unspeakable truth: all of us feel way closer to England that to any other European culture.

(Which language are we using here and now?)

But of course this is not reciprocated, since psychologically the UK floats in an Anglospheric archipelago halfway between New Zealand and Ireland.

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 06:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Algeria
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDorian View Post
    There is many different dance styles and types of music in Greece and not all of it is most similar to that of Albanians.

We Greeks share as common dance with you the Tsamikos+Epiros folklore like the Polyphonic pentatonic songs and with Turkey for example some other types of dances like Zeybekiko and Pontic"Black Sea",Cappadocian dances
    and thats it.

Kalamatiano dance is maybe shared with Albania to don't know lol

Its exactly the same problem for many Greeks with regards to your people even for Greek Arbanites

Though to say the truth with many Albanians who live in Greece i don't have real problems they blend in
    and socialize with the locals well only thing that causes trouble to me is the extreme propaganda some hardcore
    Albanian nationalists spread,stuff like all local Mainland Greek people have been originally Albanian,Arbanites ect

Same should appply then for Greek people as well a Mainland Greek should feel closest then to Greek Islanders,Cretans,Cypriots
    and Eastern Greek"Asia Minor" people before any non Greek speaking folks
    Albanians have other dance styles too as well, but in general I’m talking Greeks have more similar things to us then others, except language, and religion, yeah Greeks also have other diverse dances which aren’t connected to ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online
    04-06-2024 @ 03:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Piemonte
    Y-DNA
    I-L801
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 950
    Given: 400

1 Not allowed!

Swiss Germans from Alpine cantons (minus the yodeling for gods sake) > any remote Romance speaking group

Banned
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 11:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Poland
    Taxonomy
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,410
    Given: 27,480

1 Not allowed!

Well in my case it's quite hard to feel close to any nation. Poland had good relations and bad relations with all of our neighbours. Maybe a bit closer to neighbours who don't use Slavic languages, so Germany and Lithuania.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdLookingFellow View Post
    My father worked in Italy too what the fuck are you on about , putting out your own example as if you yourself represent the majority of Romanians living abroad. You bolded a part that you did not even address because the Balkan part was not referring to the superiority syndrome but our own culture and state of mind. Most of my friends that lived more than half of their lives in Italy or Spain are Balkan af. Good job at not bolding the SOMETIMES which directly implies that not all Romanians do it. Look at me, my dad didn't come dressed in Gucci and talking about how Romanians are literal barbarians, yet I still made that statement.

I hope you are aware that the Gucci clothes I'm referring to are either fake or so expensive they gave up possibilities to do much better things with that money just to flex on poorer rural folk. How can you respect a man sporting "Gucci" sandals on a road filled with horse shit because people still draw carriages. "if they can afford it why not" fuck off, most can't and the majority of Romanians come back with enough money for a car too expensive to repair and build a house they can't properly finish because they run out of cash. I've seen houses like this in Maramures, Wallachia, Moldova south and north. You don't need to flex your sandals to show that a part of Romanians living abroad do not have any vague idea of what to do with their money which usually runs short very soon.

Congratz to you for not being like that. Neither is my family. Romanians are still self-hating folk that will post pics of some old peasant in a traditional shirt and then call someone a "țăran jegos” (dirty peasant).
    I asked about that bolded part because Romania is only partially a Balkan state.

The majority of Romanians working abroad are people who mind their own business. Negative examples stand out more than positive ones, hence why to some it may feel like they represent the majority, but obviously they do not. You can find all kinds of people in Italy, however most of the Romanians I know are well integrated without forgetting their roots, and Italians are slowly discovering who we really are after all those barriers created between us in the past. Italian-Romanian marriages are quite common.
    Yeah, those "cocălars" are truly trashy people who stand out for their stupidity. No one takes them seriously. Thus, again, they're not representative. There are bad seeds everywhere.

Romanians who mock others are the same people who won't go out to vote, instead they'll be sitting on their ass and bitch about how Romania is a "shit country".
    Last edited by Tommie; 11-09-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Last Online
    07-05-2021 @ 04:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    'White American'
    Ethnicity
    Greco-Mediterranean
    Ancestry
    Europe of course
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    J2b2*
    mtDNA
    H1
    Taxonomy
    Alpo-EasternMed
    Politics
    I don't do politics
    Hero
    Spartacus, Jesse James, Achilles, Avicenna, Zoroaster, Gautama Buddha, Christ, Nietzsche, Hitler
    Religion
    Philosophical and Spiritual Panentheist.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 604
    Given: 140

1 Not allowed!

Most crackers are total pussies so I don't feel very close to the majority of them.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2024 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,351
    Given: 4,487

2 Not allowed!

I feel connections with other Turkics and have only been treated very well by them.

I don't feel connections with Fins, even culturally. Following Finno-Ugric theory, Hungarian is not even a parent or child system of "Finnic" according to it.

I have never met Khanty or Mansi people and have never found any who have interest in Hungarians. Looking around a lot online, they seem to feel nothing either.

I feel connections with some of our neighbors more than others. It is more of a person-to-person basis for judgment. I feel great friendship with the V4 group in general because of our common enemy: the EU.

Last Online
    10-24-2023 @ 01:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 483
    Given: 460

1 Not allowed!

Only to few other hungarians. But sometimes some of them are alien to me. I can't say any nation what i feel close to me bc i rarely meet any foreigners. But i think if i would move from here to a really far country with a totally different culture and there i would meet with a person from a neighbouring country i would feel myself close to this person even we are speaking a totally different language.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:55 AM
    Country
    Jamaica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,667
    Given: 5,726

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    The question is only about neighbours who aren't linguistic relatives tho
    For Serbs those are Hungarians, Romanians and Albanians.
    It's hard to say. I have high opinion of Romanians but I don't really have any strong opinions about Hungarians. Quite neutral with some general curiosity about language and culture. I also don't have anything personal against Albanians to be honest, but I'm not really all too positive either

So I guess my answer is Romanians then Slavs.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-21-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Turkomongrel
    Country
    Antarctica
    Taxonomy
    Inceloid
    Politics
    Nationalist Sharia
    Hero