Thread: Zebu cattle are an exclusive legacy of the South Asia neolithic, intricately tied with Hindu history

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,639

3 Not allowed!

Post Zebu cattle are an exclusive legacy of the South Asia neolithic, intricately tied with Hindu history

Zebu bull from IVC - 3000 BCE

Genomic clues of the evolutionary history of Bos indicus cattle
    Y. T. Utsunomiya M. Milanesi M. R. S. Fortes L. R. Porto‐Neto A. T. H. Utsunomiya M. V. G. B. Silva J. F. Garcia P. Ajmone‐Marsan
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/age.12836

Together with their sister subspecies Bos taurus, zebu cattle (Bos indicus) have contributed to important socioeconomic changes that have shaped modern civilizations. Zebu cattle were domesticated in the Indus Valley 8000 years before present (YBP). From the domestication site, they expanded to Africa, East Asia, southwestern Asia and Europe between 4000 and 1300 YBP, intercrossing with B. taurus to form clinal variations of zebu ancestry across the landmass of Afro‐Eurasia. In the past 150 years, zebu cattle reached the Americas and Oceania, where they have contributed to the prosperity of emerging economies. The zebu genome is characterized by two mitochondrial haplogroups (I1 and I2), one Y chromosome haplogroup (Y3) and three major autosomal ancestral groups (Indian‐Pakistani, African and Chinese). Phenotypically, zebu animals are recognized by their hump, large ears and excess skin. They are rustic, resilient to parasites and capable of bearing the hot and humid climates of the tropics. Many resources are available to study the zebu genome, including commercial arrays of SNP, reference assemblies and publicly available genotypes and whole‐genome sequences. Nevertheless, many of these resources were initially developed to support research and subsidize industrial applications in B. taurus, and therefore they can produce bias in data analysis. The combination of genomics with precision agriculture holds great promise for the identification of genetic variants affecting economically important traits such as tick resistance and heat tolerance, which were naturally selected for millennia and played a major role in the evolution of B. indicus cattle.

Zebu cattle are an exclusive legacy of the South Asia neolithic.
    Chen S, Lin BZ, Baig M, Mitra B, Lopes RJ, Santos AM, Magee DA, Azevedo M, Tarroso P, Sasazaki S, Ostrowski S, Mahgoub O, Chaudhuri TK, Zhang YP, Costa V, Royo LJ, Goyache F, Luikart G, Boivin N, Fuller DQ, Mannen H, Bradley DG, Beja-Pereira A.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19770222
    Abstract
    Animal domestication was a major step forward in human prehistory, contributing to the emergence of more complex societies. At the time of the Neolithic transition, zebu cattle (Bos indicus) were probably the most abundant and important domestic livestock species in Southern Asia. Although archaeological evidence points toward the domestication of zebu cattle within the Indian subcontinent, the exact geographic origins and phylogenetic history of zebu cattle remains uncertain. Here, we report evidence from 844 zebu mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) sequences surveyed from 19 Asiatic countries comprising 8 regional groups, which identify 2 distinct mitochondrial haplogroups, termed I1 and I2. The marked increase in nucleotide diversity (P < 0.001) for both the I1 and I2 haplogroups within the northern part of the Indian subcontinent is consistent with an origin for all domestic zebu in this area. For haplogroup I1, genetic diversity was highest within the Indus Valley among the three hypothesized domestication centers (Indus Valley, Ganges, and South India). These data support the Indus Valley as the most likely center of origin for the I1 haplogroup and a primary center of zebu domestication. However, for the I2 haplogroup, a complex pattern of diversity is detected, preventing the unambiguous pinpointing of the exact place of origin for this zebu maternal lineage. Our findings are discussed with respect to the archaeological record for zebu domestication within the Indian subcontinent.

Earliest Hindu god Shiva, who probably was from early copper age based on dress and possessions, used the Nandi bull as the vehicle. Even today temples all over India have a statue of this humped Bull. Looks like very successful utilization of this species during the early Chalcolithic and commerce along the Neolithic bidirectional Middle East/West Asia/Iran/India route taken by active inhabitants of the Neolithic timeframe. Due to heavy commerce and trade there was active trade network that carried many people back and forth. The presence of South Asian component in these places even today support this fact.

Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 Medals -> https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-the-Deep-dive
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,890
    Given: 24,545

1 Not allowed!

Zebus are the perfect cattle species for them to stand the heat of Asia and beyond.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,639

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    Zebus are the perfect cattle species for them to stand the heat of Asia and beyond.
    yeh very successful breed. There are lot of Bronze age artifacts from Middle East and Iran that shows this cattle. There might be continuity of Cattle herders/breeders etc.. over the vast trade networks even until Medieval time
    Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 Medals -> https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-the-Deep-dive
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,890
    Given: 24,545

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tipirneni View Post
    yeh very successful breed. There are lot of Bronze age artifacts from Middle East and Iran that shows this cattle. There might be continuity of Cattle herders/breeders etc.. over the vast trade networks even until Medieval time
    Yeah, but sadly most of the Zebu cattle are replaced by Holstein cattle from Germany and the Netherlands for milk production.

Thread Information