Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite pickle?

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

2 Not allowed!

Sweet piccalilli;- it's a very popular and delicious English version of South Asian pickles. It's a relish of chopped pickled vegetables and spices which dates back many years and is commonly served here with cold meats, sandwiches, and cheeses.

The Oxford English Dictionary traces the word to the middle of the 18th century when, in 1758, Hannah Glasse described how "to make Paco-Lilla, or India Pickle". An apparently earlier reference is in Anne Blencowe's Receipt Book, written c. 1694, which has "To Pickle Lila, an Indian Pickle" credited to Lord Kilmory.

The more familiar form of the word appears in 1769, in Elizabeth Raffald's The Experienced English Housekeeper, as "To make Indian pickle, or Piccalillo". Richard Briggs, in his 1788 The English Art of Cookery, similarly calls it "Picca Lillo". The spelling "piccalilli" can be seen in an advertisement in a 1799 edition of The Times.
    British piccalilli

Piccalilli label as used by Crosse & Blackwell around 1867

British piccalilli contains various vegetables—invariably cauliflower, onion, and gherkin—and seasonings of mustard and turmeric. A more finely chopped variety "sandwich piccalilli" is also available from major British supermarkets.

It is used as an accompaniment to foods such as sausages, bacon, eggs, toast, cheese, and tomatoes. It is usually used to accompany a dish on a plate rather than as a bread spread.

It is popular as a relish with cold meats such as ham and head cheese, and with an English ploughman's lunch. It is produced both commercially and domestically, being a traditional mainstay of Women's Institute and farmhouse product stalls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccalilli

Pickled onions (these are very popular in England and are served in fish 'n' chip bars and with tradtional ploughman meals in English pubs.)

They're sold in most supermarkets here too. We like both the small mini pickled onions served with salads and cold meats and cheeses, and larger pickled onions with other dishes.

Pickled red cabbage (extremely popular in England.)
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

This pickled chutney is 'the dog's b*ll*cks' as we say in England for something which is exceptionally good.

You can't fully appreciate Cheddar cheese sandwiches or a Ploughmans without eating it with Branston pickled sauce!

I think it's the second most delicious accompaniment sold in the U.K. (after Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce, of course - which isn't pickled, but has a unique flavour and is delicous with scrambled eggs on toast, Welsh rarebit, Bloody Mary drinks, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worces...#Lea_&_Perrins)

Branston is a British food brand best known for the original Branston Pickle, a jarred pickled chutney first made in 1922 in the village of Branston near Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire by Crosse & Blackwell.

However, the Branston factory proved to be uneconomical, and production was moved to Crosse & Blackwell subsidiary, E Lazenby & Sons in Bermondsey, London, where it invested in new buildings in 1924 and 1926, which remained in use until 1969.

In 2004, the pickle business was sold by Nestlé to Premier Foods and production was moved to Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. Premier Foods sold the brand to Mizkan in 2013, at which time it ceased to be labelled as Crosse and Blackwell because in Europe this name was sold separately to Princes Group. The pickle product sells over 17 million jars a year in the UK.

Branston Pickle is made from a variety of diced vegetables, including swede (rutabaga), carrots, onions and cauliflower pickled in a sauce made from vinegar, tomato, apple and spices.

You only need a small amount as it's high in sugar. In recent years high-fructose corn syrup has replaced sugar in the product sold in the American market. Sugar is still used in the British version.

Branston Pickle is sweet and spicy with a chutney-like consistency, containing chunks of vegetables in a thick brown sticky sauce. It is commonly served as part of a ploughman's lunch, a popular menu item in British pubs.

It is also frequently combined with cheddar cheese in sandwiches, and many sandwich shops in the UK offer cheese and pickle as an option.

It is available in the standard 'chunky' version, as well as a 'small chunk' variety, which is easier to spread onto bread. Convenient squeeze-bottle packs are also in the range, along with a 'smooth' recipe. Branston also has flavoured pickles including Sweet Chilli and Beetroot flavoured pickle.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-19-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

4 Not allowed!

Southern Shifted pickles.
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

5 Not allowed!

We also love cold hard-boiled pickled eggs which are sold with most dishes in U.K. fish 'n' chip shops. People here love battered pork sausage & chips, or a long savaloy sausage & chips, or battered fish (haddock, plaice, or cod) & chips, or delicious fishcakes in breadcrumbs with chips... with warm mushy peas and a cold pickled egg.

Warm mushy peas are a very popular accompaniment dish in the U.K. and we like it with delicious pork sausage & chips, or fish & chips... and a cold pickled egg.

Pickled beetroot is very popular here too. It's delicious with cold meats and salads and with an English Ploughman's dish on a summer's day.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-19-2019 at 02:14 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PAGANE View Post
    Looks my grandma's pantry.

Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 03:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgar
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Byzantine + Scythian (5.528) Seleucid + Scythian (5.695) Seleucid + Gaul (7.389) Byzantine + Gaul
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    E-FTD7860 / maternal grandparents I-p37, J-M172
    mtDNA
    J1c-C16261T
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Religion
    Orthodoxy Christianity
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,896
    Given: 1,003

1 Not allowed!

[QUOTE = Daco Celtic; 6343409] Изглежда килера на моята баба. [/ ЦИТОВЕ]
    Everything else is a scam . Only in the closet is the truth
    ...Even if a man lives well, he dies and another one comes into existence. Let the one who comes later upon seeing this inscription remember the one who had made it. And the name is Omurtag, Kanasubigi.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post

Warm mushy peas are a very popular accompaniment dish in the U.K. and we like it with delicious pork sausage & chips, or fish & chips... and a cold pickled egg.

k for
    It looks good. This photo fooled me though. I thought that was guacamole (avocado dip) because it is the same color and served in a similar size bowl. If you put that in front of Californian, they would mistake it and want to dip tortilla chips in it.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    It looks good. This photo fooled me though. I thought that was guacamole (avocado dip) because it is the same color and served in a similar size bowl. If you put that in front of Californian, they would mistake it and want to dip tortilla chips in it.
    It's just mushed marrowfat green peas, but it's scrumtious though, and it's also nutritious too.

It's a traditional northern English dish, but it's popular in the south of England too. This northern English chef explains it's got to be made with thick green marrowfat peas... and he states that half of the chefs in London use small green frozen garden peas which only results in a pea purée, rather than being traditional and proper thick mushy peas. My grandmother in south-west England always used marrowfat peas when making mushy peas, and half of the southern English fish & chip shops get it right, but the other half use the wrong type of peas.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-19-2019 at 03:47 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    It's just mushed green peas, but it's scrumtious though and nutritious too.

That looks great, I also like the fish and chips. It's interesting that those peas have a lot of thickness, I would love to try it. I grew up eating split pea soup which is more watery. We even have a restaurant, which I still visit now and again, that is famous for its split pea soup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_Soup_Andersen%27s . Founded by Danes I believe.

Also, I'm not sure how common avocados are in your neck of the woods but please do try them if you haven't already. Very healthy too. Guacamole is great.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    That looks great, I also like the fish and chips. It's interesting that those peas have a lot of thickness, I would love to try it. I grew up eating split pea soup which is more watery. We even have a restaurant, which I still visit now and again, that is famous for its split pea soup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_Soup_Andersen%27s . Founded by Danes I believe.

Also, I'm not sure how common avocados are in your neck of the woods but please do try them if you haven't already. Very healthy too. Guacamole is great.

I absolutely love green pea soup! :heatbea: (Pea & ham soup and also pea & parsnip soup are both delicious and are very popular here.) It's lovely on a cold winter's day with either some croutons or warm bread.

I edited my last post btw to explain that it's got to be marrowfat peas that are used when making mushy peas, as using garden peas will only result in a pea puree.

I love the taste of avocadoes, but unfortunately I've often found that avocadoes give me a painful tummy ache. I always have painful stomach aches if I eat one small avocado... and it's even more severe with most citrus fruits, as just 1/4 of a grapefruit, a slice of watermelon, more than 5 prunes or dates, 1 small clementine, or a small glass of concentrated fruit juice, etc, will all give me agonising stomach pains. I have a bit of a sensitive stomach to some foods, although I can handle very small amounts in dishes.... such as a very small amount of lemon with fish, or a little bit of chopped avocado in salads is fine.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-19-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information