Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many regions are there in Latin America and the Caribbean would you say ?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-14-2024 @ 04:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 233

1 Not allowed!

Default How many regions are there in Latin America and the Caribbean would you say ?

In my perspective there are at least 10 or 12 regions

1. Southwestern USA Hispanic Culture and Northern Mexico(Mexican Americans and Spanish Americans and Northern Mexico. Possibly Central Mexico aswell since the the tribes of Southwestern USA were related to the Aztecs)

2. Southern Mexico and Northern Central America(Southern Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras. More of a Mayan, Mesoamérica culture)

3. Southern Central America and Northwest South America(Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela and quite possibly Honduras. This group is more related to the Chibcha tribes that roamed the area and they’re modern day mestizo descendants)

4. Caribbean islands(All Anglo-French-Dutch Islands and the 3 Hispanic islands of Dominican Republic, Cuba and Puerto Rico)

5. The Guianas(Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana)

6. Andean Region(Southwestern Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Northern Chile, Northwestern Argentina)

7. Amazonia(Amazonian regions of Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname and Brazil. Manaus is the cultural capital of this region located in Brazil along with cities like Belem and Iquitos)

8. Patagonia(Central and South Chile, Central and South Argentina. This Area is part of the greater Southern Cone and the cultural capital is Santiago, Chile along with Mendoza, Argentina)

9. Rio de la Plata(Paraguay, Uruguay, Eastern Bolivia, Eastern Argentina and Southern Brazil. Guaraní, Mate, Gauchos, vast European immigration, this is second and last part of the Greater Southern Cone)

10. Eastern Brazil(Northeast, Central and Southeastern Brazil, this is the main cultural hub of Brazil that bears no real strong relation to its neighbors)

Bonus(mostly just based of language not geography)

11. Anglo-French-Dutch Caribbean(All Anglo-French-Dutch Islands on the Caribbean, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Coasts of Central America and Belize)

12. Spanish Caribbean(Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Coastal Colombia, Coastal Venezuela and Panama)

I think Colombia wins in having it’s territory in different regions apart from its main one being the Southern Central American(it’s main one), Andean(third main one), Caribbean(second main one) and Amazonian region. Truly diverse country no other nation has it 4 areas like Colombia
    Last edited by Thetruth; 12-11-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-22-2020 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,458
    Given: 7,646

0 Not allowed!

well southern mexico is also Caribbean lol so i dont know what you are talking about, we literally have the Caribbean waters touching Yucatan Peninsula, thus converting it into a Caribbean region within Southern Mexico
    your classifications are plain stupid

Mexico and Southwestern USA is a complete region, stop grouping us with those disgusting peasants from so called Latin America, we have nothing to do with yall!!!!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Just saying mexico summons you huh, if you care that much make your own fucking list bro

Banned
    Last Online
    05-22-2020 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,458
    Given: 7,646

0 Not allowed!

well get educated on the term Caribbean
    how is costal colombia, venezuela and panama Caribbean yet not Southerneastern Mexico? LOL

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Northern Mexicans have things in common with Mexicans Americans who have been there for generation and Spanish American descendants who been they’re which is why I included it in the same group since by a long shot it’s the most similar. Southern Mexico is way more connected to Northern Central America with Mayan culture then it is to the Caribbean, if it were, it would be a mini Coastal Colombia but it isn’t stop fronting like it is just because on small state is quasi Caribbean in culture. Southern Mexico is not a island in the Caribbean just a isthmus within it, which is why I made the distinction between language and geographical areas in my list.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I think I made it clear there’s a distinction between geography, language and culture in my geographic list Colombia, Venezuela and Panama are part of the northwestern South America and Southern Central American area not Caribbean islands area while Southern Mexico and Northern Central America was part of the same group. Nowhere did I include Coastal Colombia in the Caribbean out of geography I only included it in the language and culture group.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Not White
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,495
    Given: 884

0 Not allowed!

10. Eastern Brazil(Northeast, Central and Southeastern Brazil, this is the main cultural hub of Brazil that bears no real strong relation to its neighbors)
    Those regions are different by itself. Minas is SE but is closer to Central-West Region culturally. Rio and Espirito Santo can have some simillarities with Săo Paulo but they have differences too.

This old division makes more sense, because it was made considering cultural ties than economical ones:

Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,019
    Given: 2,697

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    I think I made it clear there’s a distinction between geography, language and culture in my geographic list Colombia, Venezuela and Panama are part of the northwestern South America and Southern Central American area not Caribbean islands area while Southern Mexico and Northern Central America was part of the same group. Nowhere did I include Coastal Colombia in the Caribbean out of geography I only included it in the language and culture group.
    Well you are wrong. Caribbean Colombia shares its culture with inland Colombia. It is part of the pan-Neogranadine culture.

We don't share our culture with Dominicans or Cubans.

Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,019
    Given: 2,697

0 Not allowed!

You are also wrong when you say Venezuelan indigenous tribes are Chibchan. They are not.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I just grouped them into bigger regions since trying to group all the smaller regions within the region would take forever and I’am not well versed on Brazilian micro regions. All I know is the most are either Amazonian, From the East and of Portuguese colonial heritage or Southern Cone similar to Uruguay or Argentina.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information