H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,434
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Cop View Post
    Well, no reason to give me wiki links as i'm Baltic German on my direct paternal line. There was an abstract from paper which i couldn't find now, which studied XVII-XIX cent. estonians cemeteries and found clear distinction between locals and Germans and very few mixed individuals.

Plus here is the results of my grandad, he's Half Baltic German of noble origin, with almost all promitent families down the line, and half Russian-Belarussian.

I also used to think that Baltic Germans are in big part locals, but it seems that they remained significantly isolated.
    Estonia was much more a class society than Finland, the situation in Estonia was corresponding to Latvia. Baltic German were not pure Germans, but neither modern Germans are Iron Age Germans. In Finland the movement between social classes was quote easy and money talked much more than in Baltic countries.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Cop View Post
    Can you give any information to read? It may explain a significant number of Finland-Swedes among my and to a bigger degree grandad's matches. I used to think that's due to some Johannson down the line, but maybe history is more complex.
    I try to find it. It was a German study, released 2017 or 2018. But whatever it is, it will not explain your Finland-Swedish ancestry.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,022
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Marin, Sulin, Helin etc. are common names in Finland. During the Swedish rule ordinary people living in the west, including Finland Proper, Satakunta, Tavastia and Ostrobothnia, had not surnames, they were identified by patronymes. But if they became more educated or served in army the surname became mandatory. It was common to invent a name based on Latin vocabulary without strict rules. This naming custom was common in Finland and Sweden, without any link to the origin of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Many Finns took also Swedish names. Many Swedes took latinized names too. There is absolutely no strict connection between the origin of people and surnames. All genealogists know this. I have in my ancestry hundreds latinized and Swedish names. Serving in army they took also funny names, like animal names, birds, tigers, elephants. Most common habit for educated people was to imply the origin using funny latinized names like Calamnius, invented by mixing Finnish and Latin. Calamnius -> kalajokinen

Thrue (also here in Ostraobothnia). Unfortunately I don't have time to be here, but I know one Finnish Swedes family (Ostrobothnia), whose original family name had been pretty typical Finnish family name: Nikula. They had changed it more Swedish form long time ago. Any idea what that might be? Believe me it is someway unique. Meaning .... there are't any that name persons in Sweden.

Same goes with some Swedish names of villages in Finland. My Swedish relatives always comments on those (being bit ''comic''). One doesn't need to go Ostrobothnia or Lovisa area. Just drive from Lojo to Ekenäs and you can see those.

What comes to Marin ... I don't like her political views (what comes to immigration policy). Time will tell can that 5 womens gorvernment stay together/in power to next Finland's parliament election (year 2023). Already this year (2020) will be pretty difficult (difficult internal issues as lots of collective agreements will be ended now). We might see union strikes etc., and Finland should also finalize the fighter (airplane) deal 2021 - 2020 ... which will be (moneywise) the biggest investement ever for small country. That will cause lots of discussions.
    If the government will stay in power ... that will simply help the biggest opposition parties: True Finns and National Coalition Party in next election. Marin just have bad cards in hers hands. It had a price to keep nationalists out of power .... Marin faces that and even more will do her:
    Last edited by Finnish Swede; 01-25-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,692
    Given: 1,587

0 Not allowed!

Could we please stay on topic and leave politics out of this discussion?

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,022
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MobyD View Post
    Could we please stay on topic and leave politics out of this discussion?

Ok, she is better looking than average Finnish woman (at her own age). I assume (right now) she is also one of the best looking pm among of Europeans (incl. USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and South Africa). Anything else you'll still want? Fine; I guess the last comment will tell as much about others as it do for Finns. Now we're happy?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

@Finnish Swede

Renaming Finnish names was like a rule. We all know Zacharias Topelius. His roots were in a small village near Oulu and the farm name was Toppila. Then Toppila was derived from the founder of the farm, CrisTOPher. You may know that Christopher, as well as all foreign names, had Finnish variants, in this case Topi. Doubling consonants inside words is normal in Finnish. Christopher himself was a Jewish immigrant who had to convert himself to Christianity because Judaism was not allowed in Sweden. So, there was one upon a Jew who came to Finland. probably from Danzig, got a Finnish name and finally was known as a burgher Topelius.

All this to explain our PM's surname and give background to us pondering Finnish names. It is not a trivial question and definitely it is impossible to make any conclusions about the ancestry just by watching Finnish surnames.
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 01-25-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Italian-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Hero
    I don't need any hero..but Jesus
    Religion
    Christian-Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,665
    Given: 1,754

1 Not allowed!

Don't forget that she has almost no make up in the pics... and even without make up she is very nice.

Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 11:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    CUCARACHA
    Country
    Liechtenstein
    Taxonomy
    CUCARACHA
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,395
    Given: 890

0 Not allowed!

Is Marin a finish surname?

I know spaniards with that surname

Banned
    Last Online
    07-17-2021 @ 07:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

1 Not allowed!

I tried making a über-Uralische version of our prime minister. I made her orbits lower by pulling down her browridge and by pushing up her cheekbones, which also decreased her palpebral fissure height. I increased her canthal tilt and I made her lower eyelid margins more straight. I made her cheekbones bigger, I made the root of her nose wider, and I made the tip of her nose bigger. I also made her mouth bigger, so that the teeth became bigger, and I further made the lips thicker.

My Photoshop skills are so bad that she ended up looking like a monster lol.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ymyyakhtakh View Post
    I tried making a über-Uralische version of our prime minister. I made her orbits lower by pulling down her browridge and by pushing up her cheekbones, which also decreased her palpebral fissure height. I increased her canthal tilt and I made her lower eyelid margins more straight. I made her cheekbones bigger, I made the root of her nose wider, and I made the tip of her nose bigger. I also made her mouth bigger, so that the teeth became bigger, and I further made the lips thicker.

My Photoshop skills are so bad that she ended up looking like a monster lol.

Draculoid.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information