Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Western Iberia is close to SE France?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

0 Not allowed!

Default Why Western Iberia is close to SE France?

I dont get why Galicia, Catalunya, Portugal(and Castile Leon) appears close since they are on different sides of Iberia? Also its strange Galicia and Portugal seems close to SE France despite being so far of Auvergne-Rhone Alpes and Alpes Cotê d'Azur. I dont know if Im understanding the genetic map wrongly. If somebody could help, thanks anyway.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-21-2023 @ 06:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    French
    Ancestry
    France, Italy, Switzerland
    Country
    France
    Region
    Val d'Aosta
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,343
    Given: 3,478

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma de Pegasus View Post
    I dont get why Galicia, Catalunya, Portugal(and Castile Leon) appears close since they are on different sides of Iberia? Also its strange Galicia and Portugal seems close to SE France despite being so far of Auvergne-Rhone Alpes and Alpes Cotê d'Azur. I dont know if Im understanding the genetic map wrongly. If somebody could help, thanks anyway.

The northern parts of Rhone-Alpes are close to W.German not at all Iberia. I would say that the "Iberian lean" begin in Grenoble approximately (Grenoble is here : ) and goes south and west. Also I don't believe that Aosta Valley is that "Iberian-shifted", to me they are similar to other people of Savoy genetically (atleast "Haute-Savoie").

People from Annecy from what I've seen are very close to Swiss French.

This map tend to confirm also that Swiss French and Swiss German are practically the same people, Swiss German being a bit more towards Germany but not by that much.

"Allobroges vaillants ! Dans vos vertes campagnes,
    Accordez-moi toujours asile et sûreté,
    Car j'aime à respirer l'air pur de vos montagnes,
    Je suis la Liberté ! la Liberté !"

Last Online
    06-18-2021 @ 07:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    UltraNordid_mybad
    Ethnicity
    Aboriginal European
    Ancestry
    Spain for the last millenia.
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Gota_type_
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,391
    Given: 487

0 Not allowed!

I don´t know autosomally but it gets me a bit mad when I hear that French are lighter than Spaniards. Any French (no matter how "germanic" he could be) can pass unnoticed in Spain. And most Spaniards (except extreme Med types) can pass unnoticed in France. And people also make the mistake in thinking that when more South-West you go in Europe the darkest the people is. There are millions of Spaniards that are lighter than millions of French. Not just lighter but more European (or not "exotic" looking) looking.

I get the idea that some people think that we Spaniards are darker than any other central European country when there are millions that will pass unnotice in most European countries. And even some of us will pass unnoticed even in Scandinavia, Netherlands or UK (as it has happened to me many times).

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 09:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    East Slavic, Germanic, Indo-Aryan
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Samnium View Post
    This map tend to confirm also that Swiss French and Swiss German are practically the same people, Swiss German being a bit more towards Germany but not by that much.
    German Swiss seem to be 50/50 Swiss French and Middle German so it's actually quite noticeable.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    French
    Ancestry
    Country
    France
    Region
    Val d'Aosta
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SharpFork View Post
    German Swiss seem to be 50/50 Swiss French and Middle German so it's actually quite noticeable.
    *50% S.German, but they are all close populations so it's not very noticeable in my opinion, also I don't know from which canton they took the samples because I would expect variation in between the Swiss French population. I'm sure that there are Swiss French that fall right into the Swiss German cluster.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    French
    Ancestry
    Country
    France
    Region
    Val d'Aosta
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gota_type_ View Post
    I don´t know autosomally but it gets me a bit mad when I hear that French are lighter than Spaniards. Any French (no matter how "germanic" he could be) can pass unnoticed in Spain. And most Spaniards (except extreme Med types) can pass unnoticed in France. And people also make the mistake in thinking that when more South-West you go in Europe the darkest the people is. There are millions of Spaniards that are lighter than millions of French. Not just lighter but more European (or not "exotic" looking) looking.

I get the idea that some people think that we Spaniards are darker than any other central European country when there are millions that will pass unnotice in most European countries. And even some of us will pass unnoticed even in Scandinavia, Netherlands or UK (as it has happened to me many times).
    It's a fantasm, nowhere Iberia is as light as Normandy, Britonny, Pas de Calais, Alsace, Haute-Savoie, Iberians are darker in pigmentation.

Most spaniards can pass in southern France, overlap above would be a lot more difficult because of lacking Alpine types that's a very basic pheno for French as well as Dinarid types, and much less "Atlantids".

There are more "weird" looking Spaniards than weird looking French as well, in France you can't find exotic types that look MENA, in Spain you have some people like that. Same for Italy and other S.Euro countries.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-13-2020 @ 10:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European and pre-Indo-European.
    Ancestry
    75% French (North-West), 25% Sard (Iglesias, Monserrato, Carloforte, Sant'Antioco).
    Country
    Quebec
    Region
    Quebec
    Religion
    Agnostic, interested in paganism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,196
    Given: 2,515

0 Not allowed!

It's a fantasm, nowhere Iberia is as light as Normandy, Britonny, Pas de Calais, Alsace, Haute-Savoie, Iberians are darker in pigmentation.

Most spaniards can pass in southern France, overlap above would be a lot more difficult because of lacking Alpine types that's a very basic pheno for French as well as Dinarid types, and much less "Atlantids".

There are more "weird" looking Spaniards than weird looking French as well, in France you can't find exotic types that look MENA, in Spain you have some people like that. Same for Italy and other S.Euro countries.
    Because of 10% of north african in the Spaniard gene pool.

Last Online
    06-18-2021 @ 07:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    UltraNordid_mybad
    Ethnicity
    Aboriginal European
    Ancestry
    Spain for the last millenia.
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Gota_type_
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,391
    Given: 487

0 Not allowed!

Are you really a french? Because it is false that there is "no ligther" region in Spain than Normandy or whatever. It is not about lighter or not, it is about that you can put millions of Spaniards (from any region) and will pass unnoticed in ANY region in France. I have seen many french and they are not lighter than us non-mediterranean looking Spaniards. And you also have millions of mediterranean looking french that are darker than millions of Spaniards.

The idea that the lightest Spaniards can also pass in SW France is absolutely stupid. In fact, even the most nordid-germanid french (which are rare) still looks french in some way. But the nordid-germanic Spaniards can pass unnoticed even in Netherlands or in Scandinavia (like me).

I have never seen a french that would be noticed in Spain as an outsider. And again you have millions of native french that are darker than MILLIONS of Spaniards.

Quote Originally Posted by dududud View Post
    Because of 10% of north african in the Spaniard gene pool.
    Nice trolling, you ignorant. The "north-african" is just a label to 100% white caucasoid blood from ancient times. Northafricans are part caucasoids and that is where the link exists. And there is "north-african" even in France or Germany in 1-2% (in Eurogenes K15 for example), so did they have north-africans in the past, or is just a label from common caucasoid ancient ancestry? You guess.

Not even a member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,590
    Given: 8,908

1 Not allowed!

I thought you were a vehement opponent of people that swarthify Southern Europe, being a half Southern Italian yourself (arguably the swarthiest part of Europe).
    I consider you very French though. If Kylian Mbappé is considered a Frenchman then you are much more French

Not even a member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,590
    Given: 8,908

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gota_type_ View Post
    Are you really a french? Because it is false that there is "no ligther" region in Spain than Normandy or whatever. It is not about lighter or not, it is about that you can put millions of Spaniards (from any region) and will pass unnoticed in ANY region in France. I have seen many french and they are not lighter than us non-mediterranean looking Spaniards. And you also have millions of mediterranean looking french that are darker than millions of Spaniards.

The idea that the lightest Spaniards can also pass in SW France is absolutely stupid. In fact, even the most nordid-germanid french (which are rare) still looks french in some way. But the nordid-germanic Spaniards can pass unnoticed even in Netherlands or in Scandinavia (like me).

I have never seen a french that would be noticed in Spain as an outsider. And again you have millions of native french that are darker than MILLIONS of Spaniards.

Nice trolling, you ignorant. The "north-african" is just a label to 100% white caucasoid blood from ancient times. Northafricans are part caucasoids and that is where the link exists. And there is "north-african" even in France or Germany in 1-2% (in Eurogenes K15 for example), so did they have north-africans in the past, or is just a label from common caucasoid ancient ancestry? You guess.
    Are you tested? I mean you claimed you scored some Siberian. Were you being serious?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information