Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Why it is in North - West Europe that the maximum for blondness and red-headedness are found?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-16-2023 @ 02:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Blank
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,284
    Given: 4,691

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffmannn View Post
    Only the second. Blondness is not any adaptation to the cold climate (but the light eyes are an adaptation to the scarce of light + sexual selection)
    I think blond and red hair piggybacks other pigmentation adaptations. So even if it isn't a direct adaptation, it is indirect. This unnecessary (so to speak) trait is then spread through sexual selection, primarily by men preferring blonder women in those areas.

I think mood may have had a lot to do with it. People with blue eyes are less likely to get depressed in the winter, (https://www.health.com/condition/dep...pression)which is probably why dark haired individuals are portrayed as grim and glum in NW European literature.

Meanwhile, in Southern Europe:

A grim people they are.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,183
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Haly-Volyn View Post
    Understood. Beddoe included a variety of shades of red hair. However hair that is only slightly red is better defined as blond or brown. If the redness is barely noticeable and from a distance it just looks blond/brown, red is just not the best description.
    Rufous hair is could from reddish-blond, reddish-brown, auburn, titian, etc...
    Coon

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Coon counted even Golden-blondism as a Form of Rufosity, which it is. Golden blond indeed has a higher proportion of Pheomelanin than Ash-blondism. However golden blond is a Minor distinction from general blondism, and thus is considered blond hair.

My point stands that when most anthropologists including Beddoe talk of red hair, they do not include hair that is not obviously distinguishable from brown or blond hair.

By the typical definition of red, including light red, dark red, and bright red (but only distinctive red), Udmurts and British Islanders are both around 5%.
    Golden blond hair is so, because of some rufosity in it. This is how it is different from ash blond hair! Beddoe was much more focused on “nigrescence” than red hair. His study on red hair is poor. He was sort of dismissive of Celtic folk. There is no single reddish hair color, my hair is a light auburn. Some people call it red, others reddish brown and even say it is dark strawberry blond. So it really depends. I think comparing British Islanders and Udmurts is a mistake! In the Physical Anthropology of Ireland by the Harvard University, places such the Aran Isles were found to be excessively red-headed and blue-eyed with no continental equivalent! Do you get it now?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Coon counted even Golden-blondism as a Form of Rufosity, which it is. Golden blond indeed has a higher proportion of Pheomelanin than Ash-blondism. However golden blond is a Minor distinction from general blondism, and thus is considered blond hair.

My point stands that when most anthropologists including Beddoe talk of red hair, they do not include hair that is not obviously distinguishable from brown or blond hair.

By the typical definition of red, including light red, dark red, and bright red (but only distinctive red), Udmurts and British Islanders are both around 5%.

As Coon said, “It is impossible at the present at least, to discover a continental prototype for Aran Islands dimensions.” If you are not aware of the pigmentation characteristics of the Aran Nordic type. There they are:

https://www.theapricity.com/snpa/bilder/aran0000.jpg

An excess of blue eyes and golden and red hair!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Some regions of the British Isles have higher incidences of red hair than Udmurts. In the Aran Isles Dupertuis found 6.7% distinctive red, but 17.8% when brown with a minor reddish tint is included. In Ireland distinctive red hair is most common in the Northwest (Sligo-Leitrim-South_Fermanagh-West_Cavan) at 7.4% according to Dupertuis. In individual schools in East Aberdeenshire Tocher found as high as 20% distinctive red, with the whole region averaging about 1/13th.

All I am claiming is that the average proportion of distinctive red hair, that is hair that would be not be intuitive to label brown or blond instead of red, is comparable between Udmurts and the combined population of British Isles. I am not claiming that Udmurts exceed the British Isles average, nor that Udmurts are more frequently red-haired than all regions and districts of the British Isles. I do not find my claim outrageous at all.
    I am afraid but correction is needed! It was not brown with a minor reddish tint! It was reddish - brown.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Some regions of the British Isles have higher incidences of red hair than Udmurts. In the Aran Isles Dupertuis found 6.7% distinctive red, but 17.8% when brown with a minor reddish tint is included. In Ireland distinctive red hair is most common in the Northwest (Sligo-Leitrim-South_Fermanagh-West_Cavan) at 7.4% according to Dupertuis. In individual schools in East Aberdeenshire Tocher found as high as 20% distinctive red, with the whole region averaging about 1/13th.

All I am claiming is that the average proportion of distinctive red hair, that is hair that would be not be intuitive to label brown or blond instead of red, is comparable between Udmurts and the combined population of British Isles. I am not claiming that Udmurts exceed the British Isles average, nor that Udmurts are more frequently red-haired than all regions and districts of the British Isles. I do not find my claim outrageous at all.
    If you aren’t claiming that the Udmurts to be more ginger-haired than British Islanders regardless of definition, then you are right. However you made a mistake by comparing them. Firstly there are too few Udmurtia in the world in comparison to Brits or Irish folks (at least 20 million are red hair genes carriers

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

These are the blondest-haired areas in the entire world by frequency:
    1) South East Norway and Central Estonia
    2) Finland
    3) Norway
    4) Sweden
    5) Denmark
    6) Iceland
    7) Estonia
    8) Latvia
    9) Lithuania and East Prussia
    10) Far - north Germany (Schleswig - Holstein)
    https://archive-media-1.nyafuu.org/b...8226632426.jpg

Banned
    Last Online
    07-17-2021 @ 07:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrion View Post
    These are the blondest-haired areas in the entire world by frequency:
    1) South East Norway and Central Estonia
    2) Finland
    3) Norway
    4) Sweden
    5) Denmark
    6) Iceland
    7) Estonia
    8) Latvia
    9) Lithuania and East Prussia
    10) Far - north Germany (Schleswig - Holstein)
    https://archive-media-1.nyafuu.org/b...8226632426.jpg
    Actually Karin Mark found that northern Estonians were the most light-haired:

http://dspace.ut.ee/handle/10062/54756

Your list is missing other Baltic Finnic peoples besides Finns and Estonians. In Karin Mark's data set, Karelians (2.92) and Izhorians (2.96) had lighter average hair color than Finland-Swedes (2.99). Vepsians (3.08), Komi-Zyrians (3.08), and Erzya (3.11) were only slightly darker than Finland-Swedes, so each of them might rank higher than Germans from Schleswig-Holstein.
    Last edited by Ymyyakhtakh; 01-27-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information