Thread: The Loneliness Epidemic

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

2 Not allowed!

Default The Loneliness Epidemic

Get my full interview w/ Johann: http://patreon.com/mattdavella Get Johann's book: https://amzn.to/2GAqULg

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,090
    Given: 122

1 Not allowed!

I love being lonely. Having time for myself and improvement.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,604
    Given: 48,329

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    I love being lonely. Having time for myself and improvement.
    I like loneliness to certain extent but being lonely in general as I am or feeling alienated as I do sucks. People give less from themselves, and don't give a shit about another human being more often.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,090
    Given: 122

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I like loneliness to certain extent but being lonely in general as I am or feeling alienated as I do sucks.
    You're not lonely. You have all of us Apricitians.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    You're not lonely. You have all of us Apricitians.
    It's kind from you But nothing can replace face to face contact, activity (I will not play with you in jenga ) etc.

Unless I would meet one of you IRL.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I sometimes think that I have a deterrant to me so people don't actively seek my company.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,209
    Given: 15,984

0 Not allowed!

I prefer the company of my close friends and family.
    But I also appreciate time alone to recharge.
    I’m definitely considered an introvert.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,478
    Given: 5,059

1 Not allowed!

Loneliness is a great place to visit, though an awful place to live in.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-17-2023 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    lol
    Ethnicity
    lol
    Ancestry
    lol
    Country
    Mongolia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,234
    Given: 978

0 Not allowed!

I love to be alone, I hate to be surrounded by people.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Only, inferior people feel lonely :

The ordinary man places his life's happiness in things external to him, in property, rank, wife and children, friends, society, and the like, so that when he loses them or finds them disappointing, the foundation of his happiness is destroyed. In other words, his centre of gravity is not in himself; it is constantly changing its place, with every wish and whim.--Arthur Schoepenhauer

Still to ourselves in every place consign'd
    Our own felicity we make or find.

Himself is the source of the best and most a man can be or achieve. The more this is so—the more a man finds his sources of pleasure in himself—the happier he will be. Therefore, it is with great truth that Aristotle{1} says, To be happy means to be self-sufficient. For all other sources of happiness are in their nature most uncertain, precarious, fleeting, the sport of chance; and so even under the most favorable circumstances they can easily be exhausted; nay, this is unavoidable, because they are not always within reach. And in old age these sources of happiness must necessarily dry up:—love leaves us then, and wit, desire to travel, delight in horses, aptitude for social intercourse; friends and relations, too, are taken from us by death. Then more than ever, it depends upon what a man has in himself; for this will stick to him longest; and at any period of life it is the only genuine and lasting source of happiness. There is not much to be got anywhere in the world. It is filled with misery and pain; and if a man escapes these, boredom lies in wait for him at every corner. Nay more; it is evil which generally has the upper hand, and folly makes the most noise. Fate is cruel, and mankind is pitiable. In such a world as this, a man who is rich in himself is like a bright, warm, happy room at Christmastide, while without are the frost and snow of a December night. Therefore, without doubt, the happiest destiny on earth is to have the rare gift of a rich individuality, and, more especially to be possessed of a good endowment of intellect; this is the happiest destiny, though it may not be, after all, a very brilliant one.

{Footnote 1: Eth. Eud, vii 2}

There was a great wisdom in that remark which Queen Christina of Sweden made, in her nineteenth year, about Descartes, who had then lived for twenty years in the deepest solitude in Holland, and, apart from report, was known to her only by a single essay: M. Descartes, she said, is the happiest of men, and his condition seems to me much to be envied.{1} Of course, as was the case with Descartes, external circumstances must be favorable enough to allow a man to be master of his life and happiness; or, as we read in Ecclesiastes{2}—Wisdom is good together with an inheritance, and profitable unto them that see the sun. The man to whom nature and fate have granted the blessing of wisdom, will be most anxious and careful to keep open the fountains of happiness which he has in himself; and for this, independence and leisure are necessary. To obtain them, he will be willing to moderate his desires and harbor his resources, all the more because he is not, like others, restricted to the external world for his pleasures. So he will not be misled by expectations of office, or money, or the favor and applause of his fellowmen, into surrendering himself in order to conform to low desires and vulgar tastes; nay, in such a case he will follow the advice that Horace gives in his epistle to Maecenas.{3}

{Footnote 1: Vie de Descartes, par Baillet. Liv. vii., ch. 10.}

{Footnote 2: vii. 12.}

{Footnote 3: Lib. 1., ep. 7.}

Nec somnum plebis laudo, satur altilium, nec
    Otia divitiis Arabum liberrima muto. --Arthur Schopenhauer

...as no land is so well off as that which requires few imports, or none at all, so the happiest man is one who has enough in his own inner wealth, and requires little or nothing from outside for his maintenance, for imports are expensive things, reveal dependence, entail danger, occasion trouble, and when all is said and done, are a poor substitute for home produce. No man ought to expect much from others, or, in general, from the external world. What one human being can be to another is not a very great deal: in the end every one stands alone, and the important thing is who it is that stands alone. Here, then, is another application of the general truth which Goethe recognizes in Dichtung und Wahrheit (Bk. III.), that in everything a man has ultimately to appeal to himself; or, as Goldsmith puts it in The Traveller:

No man can be in perfect accord with any one but himself—not even with a friend or the partner of his life; differences of individuality and temperament are always bringing in some degree of discord, though it may be a very slight one. That genuine, profound peace of mind, that perfect tranquillity of soul, which, next to health, is the highest blessing the earth can give, is to be attained only in solitude, and, as a permanent mood, only in complete retirement; and then, if there is anything great and rich in the man's own self, his way of life is the happiest that may be found in this wretched world.

Let me speak plainly. However close the bond of friendship, love, marriage—a man, ultimately, looks to himself, to his own welfare alone; at most, to his child's too. The less necessity there is for you to come into contact with mankind in general, in the relations whether of business or of personal intimacy, the better off you are. Loneliness and solitude have their evils, it is true; but if you cannot feel them all at once, you can at least see where they lie; on the other hand, society is insidious in this respect; as in offering you what appears to be the pastime of pleasing social intercourse, it works great and often irreparable mischief. The young should early be trained to bear being left alone; for it is a source of happiness and peace of mind.

It follows from this that a man is best off if he be thrown upon his own resources and can be all in all to himself; and Cicero goes so far as to say that a man who is in this condition cannot fail to be very happy—nemo potest non beatissimus esse qui est totus aptus ex sese, quique in se uno ponit omnia.The more a man has in himself, the less others can be to him. The feeling of self-sufficiency! it is that which restrains those whose personal value is in itself great riches, from such considerable sacrifices as are demanded by intercourse with the world, let alone, then, from actually practicing self-denial by going out of their way to seek it. Ordinary people are sociable and complaisant just from the very opposite feeling;—to bear others' company is easier for them than to bear their own. Moreover, respect is not paid in this world to that which has real merit; it is reserved for that which has none. So retirement is at once a proof and a result of being distinguished by the possession of meritorious qualities. It will therefore show real wisdom on the part of any one who is worth anything in himself, to limit his requirements as may be necessary, in order to preserve or extend his freedom, and,—since a man must come into some relations with his fellow-men—to admit them to his intimacy as little as possible. --Arthur Schopenhauer

“It is really a very risky, nay, a fatal thing, to be sociable; because it means contact with natures, the great majority of which are bad morally, and dull or perverse, intellectually. To be unsociable is not to care about such people; and to have enough in oneself to dispense with the necessity of their company is a great piece of good fortune; because almost all our sufferings spring from having to do with other people; and that destroys the peace of mind, which, as I have said, comes next after health in the elements of happiness. Peace of mind is impossible without a considerable amount of solitude. The Cynics renounced all private property in order to attain the bliss of having nothing to trouble them; and to renounce society with the same object is the wisest thing a man can do. Bernardin de Saint Pierre has the very excellent and pertinent remark that to be sparing in regard to food is a means of health; in regard to society, a means of tranquillity—la diète des ailmens nous rend la santé du corps, et celle des hommes la tranquillité de l'âme. To be soon on friendly, or even affectionate, terms with solitude is like winning a gold mine; but this is not something which everybody can do.”
    ― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer; Counsels and Maxims

The chief obstacle to our arriving at these salutary views is that hypocrisy of the world to which I have already alluded—an hypocrisy which should be early revealed to the young. Most of the glories of the world are mere outward show, like the scenes on a stage: there is nothing real about them. Ships festooned and hung with pennants, firing of cannon, illuminations, beating of drums and blowing of trumpets, shouting and applauding—these are all the outward sign, the pretence and suggestion,—as it were the hieroglyphic,—of joy: but just there, joy is, as a rule, not to be found; it is the only guest who has declined to be present at the festival. Where this guest may really be found, he comes generally without invitation; he is not formerly announced, but slips in quietly by himself sans facon; often making his appearance under the most unimportant and trivial circumstances, and in the commonest company—anywhere, in short, but where the society is brilliant and distinguished. Joy is like the gold in the Australian mines—found only now and then, as it were, by the caprice of chance, and according to no rule or law; oftenest in very little grains, and very seldom in heaps. All that outward show which I have described, is only an attempt to make people believe that it is really joy which has come to the festival; and to produce this impression upon the spectators is, in fact, the whole object of it.--Arthur Schopenhauer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information