Region
    Leon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 409

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    Smell is the worst!

I exercise a lot, actually. And for me the best feeling in the world is (WAS) to smoke a cigarette after good cardio or dance.
    Your sense of smell improves dramatically when you stop smoking too. It sometimes becomes overwhelming. I could smell my neighbors cooking and things like that when before I would have been unable to detect it.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,016
    Given: 122

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Skengdo View Post
    Your sense of smell improves dramatically when you stop smoking too. It sometimes becomes overwhelming. I could smell my neighbors cooking and things like that when before I would have been unable to detect it.
    The thing is... when you smoke a lot, you don't even realise how bad you and your clothes smell. Like I've said, comment from my friend really hit me hard. I don't want to be smelly cigarette trash can.

But I'm sooooo desperate, my lungs hurt.

Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 06:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    ZOG
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 242

1 Not allowed!

Different things work for different people. Some can stop cold turkey, but the majority find it difficult to overcome it that easily.

The first thing to do is to identify why you smoke - do you smoke when you're anxious? Bored? With meals? With certain people? Noting the patterns can help you know what to avoid or be mindful of.

It sounds like you're already aware of the problems with smoking (health, cost, cosmetic effects, odour, decreased exercise tolerance, stigma) so use those to fuel the drive to quit.

Making plans with a doctor or a professional can help keep accountability - the aim is to stay specific with your goals and timeframe, and realistic with what you can achieve. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, aim to cut down by 5/day every week until you're at zero.

Another thing to consider is nicotine replacement therapy. There's no shame in a patch or some gum! It can really help speed up the process.
    You might also find it helpful to try quitting with a partner or friend - somebody to motivate you and share that accountability if you fall off the wagon.

Best of luck with quitting!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBurn View Post
    Different things work for different people. Some can stop cold turkey, but the majority find it difficult to overcome it that easily.

The first thing to do is to identify why you smoke - do you smoke when you're anxious? Bored? With meals? With certain people? Noting the patterns can help you know what to avoid or be mindful of.

It sounds like you're already aware of the problems with smoking (health, cost, cosmetic effects, odour, decreased exercise tolerance, stigma) so use those to fuel the drive to quit.

Making plans with a doctor or a professional can help keep accountability - the aim is to stay specific with your goals and timeframe, and realistic with what you can achieve. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, aim to cut down by 5/day every week until you're at zero.

Another thing to consider is nicotine replacement therapy. There's no shame in a patch or some gum! It can really help speed up the process.
    You might also find it helpful to try quitting with a partner or friend - somebody to motivate you and share that accountability if you fall off the wagon.

Best of luck with quitting!
    Thanks!

I think I will always smoke 1-5 cigarettes per day, because it relaxes me, it reduces anxiety but most of all - I smoke because others smoke. In Croatia it is normal to have breakfast made of coffee and cigarettes, to waste time smoking, to wait for something while smoking, to chit-chat at college and smoking etc.

But 30 cigarettes per day... That's just insane. It's hard now.

Last Online
    09-06-2023 @ 09:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Armenian and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Armenian & Swiss
    Ancestry
    50% Armenian, from West of Lake Van; 25% Swiss, from Lake Biel Area; 25% Minnesota German.
    Country
    Armenia
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA
    U8b
    Politics
    Tashnagtsutyan
    Hero
    (1) Andranik Ozanian (2) Baroness Caroline Cox (3) Robert E Lee (4) Cyrano de Bergerac
    Religion
    Christian Mystic
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,424
    Given: 12,676

2 Not allowed!

Cigarrette Butts are largely made from fibrous plastic, one of the worst sources of planetary toxic waste. Cigarette waste causes havoc among sea life, even releasing arsenic into the water.

Littered cigarette butts leach toxic chemicals—such as arsenic (used to kill rats) and lead, to name a few—into the environment and can contaminate water. The toxic exposure can poison fish, as well as animals who eat cigarette butts.
    https://truthinitiative.org/research...ts-environment

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Armenian and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Armenian & Swiss
    Ancestry
    50% Armenian, from West of Lake Van; 25% Swiss, from Lake Biel Area; 25% Minnesota German.
    Country
    Armenia
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA
    U8b
    Politics
    Tashnagtsutyan
    Hero
    (1) Andranik Ozanian (2) Baroness Caroline Cox (3) Robert E Lee (4) Cyrano de Bergerac
    Religion
    Christian Mystic
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don't smoke, but I do have high blood pressure, and I've been seeing a doctor about it. It seems to be doing better.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Armenian Bishop View Post
    I don't smoke, but I do have high blood pressure, and I've been seeing a doctor about it. It seems to be doing better.
    What is the cause? For me, it's genetics + stress.

Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 06:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    ZOG
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 242

0 Not allowed!

Thanks!

I think I will always smoke 1-5 cigarettes per day, because it relaxes me, it reduces anxiety but most of all - I smoke because others smoke. In Croatia it is normal to have breakfast made of coffee and cigarettes, to waste time smoking, to wait for something while smoking, to chit-chat at college and smoking etc.

But 30 cigarettes per day... That's just insane. It's hard now.
    Ha, I was in Croatia last year and I saw that sort of breakfast quite often! Mine consisted of a coffee and a burek for my two weeks there which wasn't all that much healthier haha.

1-5 isn't very heavy consumption - do you think you could limit yourself to 1 cigarette with breakfast and 1 during a lunch break for 2 weeks? After that, you might be able to start substituting the cigarette for something like a small snack while whoever you're with smokes.
    If anxiety is a factor, just keep in mind that this is a common side effect of caffeine as well! As for boredom, well, we all have smartphones nowadays anyway XD

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBurn View Post
    Ha, I was in Croatia last year and I saw that sort of breakfast quite often! Mine consisted of a coffee and a burek for my two weeks there which wasn't all that much healthier haha.

1-5 isn't very heavy consumption - do you think you could limit yourself to 1 cigarette with breakfast and 1 during a lunch break for 2 weeks? After that, you might be able to start substituting the cigarette for something like a small snack while whoever you're with smokes.
    If anxiety is a factor, just keep in mind that this is a common side effect of caffeine as well! As for boredom, well, we all have smartphones nowadays anyway XD
    1-5 is, like I've said, just for anxiety and company. I can do it. You know why? Because doctor scared the shit out of me. Sometimes we need to have fear in life to get out of trouble.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Armenian and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Armenian & Swiss
    Ancestry
    Country
    Armenia
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA
    U8b
    Politics
    Tashnagtsutyan
    Hero
    Religion
    Christian Mystic
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

What is the cause? For me, it's genetics + stress.
    The blood pressure problem is probably from not getting enough exercise, from beer, and from a diet with too much salt and cholesterol. At some point, I started getting less exercise (which didn't help), but I've been successfully reducing the amount of salt, cholesterol and sugar in my diet. I don't drink much these days, occasionally a sample sized wine, brandy, or beer. About a year ago, I purchased a good exercise bike. It's a Schwinn Assault Bike, but I stopped using it a few months ago, because of muscle pains in my leg, so my next plan is to get back on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information