Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 7

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamm View Post
    What is Arabian blood? Define that.
    What you didn't understand in my answer? If someone have ethnic Arabian ancestry from the Arabian Peninsula then he is Arab, that's what makes someone an Arab (it least that's what I think).

Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hajimurad View Post
    If Arab is someone with Arab blood then only Bedouins and some sedentary families scattered across MENA region are Arabs. All others are Arabized Syriacs, Persians, Copts, Berbers, Nubians etc.
    Yes that's probably true.
    So from what I understand Levanite Christians and North Africans are Arabinized by culture

Last Online
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canaanite Phoenician
    Ethnicity
    Canaanite
    Country
    Lebanon
    Taxonomy
    Maronitis Libanensis
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 390

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Serbat14 View Post
    If someone have ethnic Arabian ancestry from the Arabian Peninsula then he is Arab, that's what makes someone an Arab (it least that's what I think).
    The region stretching from the Arabian Sea to the Atlantic Ocean is identified as the "Arab World" even though there are different races.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbat14 View Post
    So from what I understand Levanite Christians and North Africans are Arabinized by culture
    If it is by culture, then what do Levantine Christians and North Africans have in common with Somalis, Sudanese, Comorians, Saudis, Mauritanians, Djiboutis, Libyans, Moroccans, Yemenis, Bahreinis…to name few?
    "And God said "Love Your Enemy", and I obeyed Him and loved myself." - Gibran Khalil

Last Online
    11-11-2020 @ 02:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,047
    Given: 1,137

0 Not allowed!

I wonder what is the difference between Arabs and Bedouins? Are they same people or not? Is it right to say that Arabs are sedentary people and Bedouins are nomads? I heard that Bedouins in Israel perceived as more loyal people than Arabs.

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 05:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Avar
    Ancestry
    Kazbek district
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 522

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arsen_ View Post
    I wonder what is the difference between Arabs and Bedouins? Are they same people or not? Is it right to say that Arabs are sedentary people and Bedouins are nomads? I heard that Bedouins in Israel perceived as more loyal people than Arabs.
    Bedouins are pure unmixed Arabs with tribal structure (but in Africa they are mixed with nomadic Berbers, Bejas, Zaghawas and Fulanis). Simple Arab is an Arabic-speaking city-dweller or sedentary farmer (often of mixed origin).

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Melkite
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Ancestry
    Zahlé
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    L-M349
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Steve Jobs
    Religion
    Believer of God
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,769
    Given: 2,895

2 Not allowed!

1. Last name. Association is based on your father's ethnicity/Race.

2. Probably because we speak Arabic?

Also, Maronites in general do not have Arabian blood. Based on GEDmatches, it seems like the Orthodox Christians have the highest Red Sea.

Also, in the distant past, the Levant was more Arabian as it is now, so it is kind of a mute point.

Lastly, Northern Levantines are of great distance of Arabians/Bedouins in G25. I plot with many different European groups before BedouinB.

Last Online
    02-08-2023 @ 11:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine Christian + Armenian + Assyrian
    Country
    Quebec
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 59

4 Not allowed!

Arabization was imposed by force on Middle Eastern Christians, so a Christian 'Mansour' from the Levant and a Muslim 'Mansour' from North Africa or Arabia don't actually share the same lineages.

Still, many Levantine Christian surnames are plain and simple Aramaic: Haddad, Semaan, Shamoun

Some of Greek origin: Kyriacos, Constantin

And of course Biblical ones, arabized or not: Elias, Boutros (Peter), Boulos (Paul), Hanna (John), Gebrael etc

And of course the most common Levantine Christian surname, Khoury, which literally means Priest.

Generally speaking it's very easy to tell if someone is Christian just by their names. Sometimes you can even guess if someone is Catholic or Orthodox.
    Last edited by Yorgo; 01-21-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Melkite
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Ancestry
    Zahlé
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    L-M349
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Steve Jobs
    Religion
    Believer of God
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,769
    Given: 2,895

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgo View Post
    Arabization was imposed by force on Middle Eastern Christians, so a Christian 'Mansour' from the Levant and a Muslim 'Mansour' from North Africa or Arabia don't actually share the same lineages.

Still, many Levantine Christian surnames are plain and simple Aramaic: Haddad, Semaan, Shamoun

And of course Biblical ones, arabized or not: Elias, Boutros (Peter), Boulos (Paul), Hanna (John), Gebrael etc

And of course the most common Levantine Christian surname, Khoury, which literally means Priest.

Generally speaking it's very easy to know if someone is Christian just by their names. Sometimes you can even guess if someone is Catholic or Orthodox.
    I know of an Assyrian by Samaan.

My cousins last name is Haddad. The last name is also popular with Sephardic Jews.

Last Online
    02-08-2023 @ 11:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine Christian + Armenian + Assyrian
    Country
    Quebec
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 59

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdelnour View Post
    I know of an Assyrian by Samaan.

My cousins last name is Haddad. The last name is also popular with Sephardic Jews.
    Other Levantine Christian surnames: Abdel Nour, Abdel Massih (Servant of Christ), Kassab, Fares, Karam, Saliba, Maalouf, Khalil, Salloum, Touma, Tannous, Antoun, Mikhael, Youssef, Yacoub, Younan

As one can see, mostly a mix of Syriac, Arabized Biblical and Greek-derived names.

One thing I noticed is that some Lebanese Christians (most likely Maronites) have Latin-derived surnames, which is unusual for other Levantine Christians: Romanos, Germanos, Frances, Stefan

Other surnames I associate mostly with Lebanese Christians: Helou, Slim, Skaf, Harb, Sarkis, Aoun

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 05:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Avar
    Ancestry
    Kazbek district
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 522

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgo View Post

Generally speaking it's very easy to tell if someone is Christian just by their names. Sometimes you can even guess if someone is Catholic or Orthodox.
    Do mountain Christians of all denominations (Tur-Abdin, Lebanon, Hakkari and other regions) trace their ancestry from famous cities of Middle East (Baghdad, Mosul, Antiochia, Damascus, Aleppo, Jerusalem etc)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information