Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sirokibrijeg.info published list of Herzegovinian Croatian families who once were Orthodoxes

Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 08:29 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dinarid
    Ethnicity
    MNE
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,016
    Given: 122

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pribislav View Post
    You have a Škutor Insuperable.
    Yup. He's a great guy.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,153
    Given: 13,521

0 Not allowed!

That is I think a list of Catholic families who celebrated specific saint. Were they Orthodox at some point, who knows...

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-11-2023 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bosnian Croat
    Ancestry
    Bosnia, Dalmatia,Germany, Bulgaria, Czechia, Serbia
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I-PH908 (I-S10860)
    mtDNA
    I5a1a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 582
    Given: 708

0 Not allowed!

Well they do list Ljubic which is a surname from Siroki Brijeg.
    Now someone tell me why so many Orthodox people converted to Catholicism even though it had no benefit at all in this region ruled by Ottomans?
    69.3% Ukrainian + 30.7% Italian_Jewish @ 2.52

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-07-2024 @ 07:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,635
    Given: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ljubic View Post
    Well they do list Ljubic which is a surname from Siroki Brijeg.
    Now someone tell me why so many Orthodox people converted to Catholicism even though it had no benefit at all in this region ruled by Ottomans?
    I never seen real evidences for mass conversion from Catholicism on Orthodoxy. I know for book of ustashian Catholic priest Krunoslav Draganović in which he claim that most of Serbs from BiH and present day Croatia are former Catholics who converted to the Orthodoxy in Bosnia and Herzegovina in early period of Ottoman rule. There is no evidences in his book, it's political ustashian pamphlet.

Among Dalmatian Serbs there is some families (tiny minority) whose paternal ancestors once were Carholics and who converted on Orthodoxy, mostly because they married Orthodox women in the villages which had Orthodox majority.
    Some of Serbian families from Dalmatia who once were Catholics are Šimić, Matas, Matijaš, Dondur, Gambiroža, Smokrović, Formentunović, Ušljebrka, Jurašin (possible, not sure), Jurković (possible, not sure), Vržina (possible, not sure) etc.

Btw are your Ljubići those who celebrated Lučindan or Petrovdan before conversion from Orthodoxy on Catholicism?
    Last edited by Pribislav; 02-06-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bosnian Croat
    Ancestry
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I-PH908 (I-S10860)
    mtDNA
    I5a1a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I never seen real evidences for mass conversion from Catholicism on Orthodoxy. I know for book of ustashian Catholic priest Krunoslav Draganović in which he claim that most of Serbs from BiH and present day Croatia are former Catholics who converted to the Orthodoxy in Bosnia and Herzegovina in early period of Ottoman rule. There is no evidences in his book, it's political ustashian pamphlet.

Among Dalmatian Serbs there is some families (tiny minority) whose paternal ancestors once were Carholics and who converted on Orthodoxy, mostly because they married Orthodox women in the villages which had Orthodox majority.
    Some of Serbian families from Dalmatia who once were Catholics are Šimić, Matas, Matijaš, Dondur, Gambiroža, Smokrović, Formentunović, Ušljebrka, Jurašin (possible, not sure), Jurković (possible, not sure), Vržina (possible, not sure) etc.

Btw are your Ljubići those who celebrated Lučindan or Petrovdan before conversion from Orthodoxy on Catholicism?
    I dont know about Hercegovina but werent the majority of old Churches in medieval Bosnia catholic? Its not a direct proof of Catholics mass converting to Orthodoxy but one could make a picture of the kingdoms main religion at the time. A big part of todays Croatian population also consists of remnants from the fleeing population of medieval Bosnia who sought refuge from the Ottoman wars. The majority of "Croatia" still was Catholic even when Serbs got settled into the military frontier so these refugees couldnt have been Orthodox either.

I cant possibly tell if my Ljubići have celebrated either of these options because my last known ancestor is from the mid 19th century and they were Catholics from Tomislavgrad.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ljubic View Post
    I dont know about Hercegovina but werent the majority of old Churches in medieval Bosnia catholic? Its not a direct proof of Catholics mass converting to Orthodoxy but one could make a picture of the kingdoms main religion at the time. A big part of todays Croatian population also consists of remnants from the fleeing population of medieval Bosnia who sought refuge from the Ottoman wars. The majority of "Croatia" still was Catholic even when Serbs got settled into the military frontier so these refugees couldnt have been Orthodox either.

I cant possibly tell if my Ljubići have celebrated either of these options because my last known ancestor is from the mid 19th century and they were Catholics from Tomislavgrad.
    In mainstream historiography is known that East Herzegovina and East Bosnia were Orthodox in the middle age, also is known that in southen Dalmatia was present Orthodoxy in the middle age (even some Croatian nationalists admit Ston was Orthodox in the middle age, but they deny that medieval Orthodoxes from Ston were Serbs).

Orthodoxy in the middle age was present far more western than what say mainsteam historiography.

Medieval Orthodox monasrery Labostin in Duvno field https://malovan.net/Lat/TekstNovi/518/Manastir-Labostin

Orthodox monasteries Krka, Krupa and Dragović in northern Dalmatia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krka_monastery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krupa_monastery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragović_monastery

Glogovac monastery near Šipovo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glogovac_monastery

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,755

0 Not allowed!

In mainstream historiography is known that East Herzegovina and East Bosnia were Orthodox in the middle age, also is known that in southen Dalmatia was present Orthodoxy in the middle age (even some Croatian nationalists admit Ston was Orthodox in the middle age, but they deny that medieval Orthodoxes from Ston were Serbs).

Orthodoxy in the middle age was present far more western than what say mainsteam historiography.

Medieval Orthodox monasrery Labostin in Duvno field https://malovan.net/Lat/TekstNovi/518/Manastir-Labostin

Orthodox monasteries Krka, Krupa and Dragović in northern Dalmatia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krka_monastery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krupa_monastery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragović_monastery

Glogovac monastery near Šipovo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glogovac_monastery
    Orthodox Dalmatian and Herzegovian people were Orthodox not because of Serbs but because of Constantinople.

They are Vlachs

That's why they have weak Serbian identity even after shifting to Catholicism.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosniensis View Post
    Orthodox Dalmatian and Herzegovian people were Orthodox not because of Serbs but because of Constantinople.

They are Vlachs

That's why they have weak Serbian identity even after shifting to Catholicism.
    Do you know that Orthodox Serbs with surname Gotovina are Opličići near Čapljina? https://www.poreklo.rs/2012/02/16/gotovina/

Ancestors of Ante Gotovina converted on Catholicism.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bosnian Croat
    Ancestry
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I-PH908 (I-S10860)
    mtDNA
    I5a1a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Its not about being "Serb" or "Croat" anyway because these tribes were just a small part of the Slavic migration who happened to establish duchies and kingdoms.

I also have to agree with Bosniensin on the part with people being Orthodox because of Constantineople.
    I cant image that some priest came into a serb village and said "you are serb, therefore you must convert to orthodoxy" while the other village next to the serb one which happened to be settled by Croats got a priest sent from rome just because Croats live in there.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information