Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,564
    Given: 29,023

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    This is an old comment, but it deserves recognition. Mingle is absolutely right about the western Scottish Lowlands, which have both Briton input and Gaelic input, a double dose of Celtic. The eastern Scottish Lowlands have more Anglo-Saxon input.

My "anthropological pet peeve" is when perfect strangers, from foreign countries, tell people with Appalachian roots that they're really Scottish instead of Irish as if that common knowledge and conventional wisdom holds true for all people in that region. I descend from Native Irish (not just Ulster Scottish), and I'm talking about people with stereotypical Irish surnames from the South. My last immigrant ancestor was an Irishman who came here in 1825(?). None of my great-grandparents were 100% Scots-Irish, so there's a bit of false romanticism in much of this.
    I did read something about this a few months ago. Would have to research more but there were Irish Catholics that changed religion in the US as well. It was something about most of the Americans that claim Irish descent were in fact Protestants and not Catholic. I will look into it more when I have time.

One of the Genetic Groups from My Heritage was from the US South. See below.

Ireland
    Ireland (Tipperary, Limerick and Dublin) and England
    Ireland and Northern Ireland
    USA (New York City, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago) and Australia
    England
    UK and Ireland
    Eastern and Midwestern USA
    Southern USA

It is my only low confidence GG however.

About this Genetic Group:
    British and some Irish and German settlers in Southern United States
    DNA kits used to form this group: 75,156
    DNA kits linked to family trees: 31,353
    Confidence level: Low

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Forum posted twice.

Another interesting thing is that whether people are Ulster Scots or Native Irish they are very similar genetically. That might cause some conniptions for some of the earlier posters but hopefully they have mellowed with knowledge and time.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I did read something about this a few months ago. Would have to research more but there were Irish Catholics that changed religion in the US as well. It was something about most of the Americans that claim Irish descent were in fact Protestants and not Catholic. I will look into it more when I have time.

Ireland
    England
    UK and Ireland
    Southern USA
    Probably a lot of the Protestant Irish Americans are 75% British or some other Protestant group from the colonial era, but have an Irish grandparent or something which is a more recent migrant so put themselves down as Irish. Seems a common occurrence with German Americans, almost every German American result I've seen is heavily or even majority British. There is only 4 million Irish in Ireland but over 30 million supposed Irish Americans, doesn't really add up mathematically for them to all be pure bred.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    Probably a lot of the Protestant Irish Americans are 75% British or some other Protestant group from the colonial era, but have an Irish grandparent or something which is a more recent migrant so put themselves down as Irish. Seems a common occurrence with German Americans, almost every German American result I've seen is heavily or even majority British. There is only 4 million Irish in Ireland but over 30 million supposed Irish Americans, doesn't really add up mathematically for them to all be pure bred.
    Possibly. I'll have to look again but it did mention about Irish changing their religion as well. This also happened in Ulster which is why you have Protestant O'Neill's and Catholic Adams.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Very true I am Protestant but I was born in New York USA. I used to think I was Ulster Irish. I have an Irish hiberno-norman name.

Apparently, I am Ulster-Scots, English, German and Irish but the German, English, and Norse blood (from the Scots) was so strong my autosomal DNA is more English/Dutch.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,529
    Given: 6,482

1 Not allowed!

Ireland
    England
    UK and Ireland
    Southern USA
    I looked at various genetic tests, and they're quite different from one another. You'll see one person with a relatively high amount of Irish blood, and you'll then see a second person with a relatively low amount of Irish blood. It's almost like there are peculiar marriage patterns within certain lines. You might see a German version of this too.

Whether or not Appalachians are of Ulster-Scottish or Native Irish descent, they tend to hold the Irish people in high regard. They definitely want no part of sectarian problems, and some people try to hijack them in this regard. They obviously forget that their forebears were instrumental in gaining independence from the British. I've heard some of them wish for a united Ireland too.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I looked at various genetic tests, and they're quite different from one another. You'll see one person with a relatively high amount of Irish blood, and you'll then see a second person with a relatively low amount of Irish blood. It's almost like there are peculiar marriage patterns within certain lines. You might see a German version of this too.

Whether or not Appalachians are of Ulster-Scottish or Native Irish descent, they tend to hold the Irish people in high regard. They definitely want no part of sectarian problems, and some people try to hijack them in this regard. They obviously forget that their forebears were instrumental in gaining independence from the British. I've heard some of them wish for a united Ireland too.
    Yes I know Appalachians have a lot of respect for the Irish and many claim Irish ancestry. I loved this from Dolly Parton when she was in Co Kerry. She is so down to earth and natural and I think the Irish would love her even more for this.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

That could be true in many cases. My forebear, from County Tipperary, became a Baptist preacher. He was more Protestant than the Presbyterians. I have two or more ancestors who converted from Catholicism to Protestantism when they still were in Ireland.

One was a gallowglass who moved to Delaware. A second was a man, from County Laois, who was estranged from his father because he left the Church. A third came from a line that was evidently forced to County Mayo by Cromwell. He and others started one of the first Churches of Christ.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

That could be true in many cases. My forebear, from County Tipperary, became a Baptist preacher. He was more Protestant than the Presbyterians. I have two or more ancestors who converted from Catholicism to Protestantism when they still were in Ireland.

One was a gallowglass who moved to Delaware. A second was a man, from County Laois, who was estranged from his father because he left the Church. A third came from a line that was evidently forced to County Mayo by Cromwell. He and others started one of the first Churches of Christ.
    Alot Americans are German/Irish or neo-Anglo-Saxon e.g. Irish/German/English etc... only a minority of Americans are Catholic mixes like Irish/Italian (pseudo-french) and they are concentrated in places like New York.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Forum posted twice.

Another interesting thing is that whether people are Ulster Scots or Native Irish they are very similar genetically. That might cause some conniptions for some of the earlier posters but hopefully they have mellowed with knowledge and time.
    That's a great point. One of the most absurd and bizarre comments, that I've ever read, came from a man who bragged that he didn't have a drop of Gaelic blood, and he had a Gaelic surname that started with "Mc". This was hundreds of years ago, but it speaks to your observation. "I'm proud to say that I don't have a drop of German hun blood." - Hans Schmidt 1850

It stands to reason that they share genes with each other. Just look at how close they are to each other. It's just common sense that there was trade and travel for years before even Dalriada came to be. That makes the former troubles even that much more tragic.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information