Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    Christianity in Ireland was originally Orthodox until the Irish were afraid of being accused of heresy by the continental Church.
    I have Orthodox sympathies, having spent a decade in Russia, and can tell you that the attempt to link the 'Celtic' Church with it is simplistic in the least. The Irish Church was never too isolated from the Roman orthodoxy.
    Not before Catholics in the north will be bombarded with taunts like "Taig" and "Fuck the Pope!", while being held up and terrorised by the RUC (cough, cough, I mean the PSNI).
    THings were rarely that bad over there. Don't believe all the horror sttories.
    Morality?! My hatred for the church as the most evil institution in the history of mankind is rivaled only by my hatred of the other great evils, Protestantism (and Islam.)
    I'm no Christian, but am rather more moderate in my attitudes to this enormous influence in our history. You are too angry about it - you sound like some raving Varg Vikernes kid. Cool it! It was hardly sustainedly 'evil'! It had its highs and its lows, sure, but deserves better than this verdict. Read some hagiographic literature, might make you see it differently.
    I agree with peace and cooperation between both sides and efforts to heal historical wounds, but I am incensed when I see these Orange Lodge types making a big song and dance, beating their lambegs in an attempt to stir-up trouble.
    Let people do their traditions, don't get incensed. It's the getting incensed that's the problem, not the marching and pipe playing! If everyone stuck to their traditions, however seemingly 'irrational', the worrld'd be a better place.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswiu View Post
    THings were rarely that bad over there. Don't believe all the horror sttories.
    So, the Protestants will be called names, but the Catholics aren't called "taigs" and there aren't cries of "fuck the pope!" ? The Protestants are paragons of virtue, meanwhile in a united Ireland a deranged army of nuns with clothespins will go about beating the Ulster Scots.

I'm no Christian, but am rather more moderate in my attitudes to this enormous influence in our history. You are too angry about it - you sound like some raving Varg Vikernes kid. Cool it! It was hardly sustainedly 'evil'!
    Any religion which attempts through aggression, to violently stamp out all opposition, all the while championing virgin births, and resurrection from the dead is not only highly illogical, but downright evil.

Read some hagiographic literature, might make you see it differently.
    When I was younger I read some of the Lives of the Saints. What someone does in a monastery is their business, it's when the institution seeks to delude populations, and destroy indigenous beliefs, meanwhile having its main objective being to secure and expand its power that I have a problem.

The Church throughout history has had the function of Big Brother and the anti-sex league all at once.

If Christianity had never emerged, the world would be a better place.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    So, the Protestants will be called names, but the Catholics aren't called "taigs"
    Who'd be offended at such a naff name!
    and there aren't cries of "fuck the pope!" ?
    Fuck him. It's a bit different to calling people things based on ancient historic events as though they were there themselves and fully responsible...
    Any religion which attempts through aggression, to violently stamp out all opposition, all the while championing virgin births, and resurrection from the dead is not only highly illogical, but downright evil.
    It amazes me that people can think so strongly about it. Perhaps your environment is not as secularised as in Britain? Incidentally, that's a good reason to try to stay in the Union!
    If Christianity had never emerged, the world would be a better place.
    It was largely inevitable with increased communications and state possibilities. Look on it as 'growing pains' for humanity, something necessary to get through, a phase. And calm down...

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswiu View Post
    Who'd be offended at such a naff name!
    Right. But I highly doubt that the people who employ this term pejoratively mean to commend their opponents' poetic talents.

Fuck him.
    I agree. But this is used with the sole intent of being inflammatory, and is not meant to be taken seriously as a theological or metaphysical position. You know that.

It was largely inevitable with increased communications and state possibilities. Look on it as 'growing pains' for humanity, something necessary to get through, a phase.
    Something to overcome indeed, but it was not a progressive stage of a more highly evolved morality by any stretch.

The fact that there are loads of people who actually believe in virgin birth, and resurrection of the dead makes me ill.

Yeah, a Jewish carpenter descended to earth through parthogenesis to take on the "sins" of the world to appease the wrath of a petty celestial tyrant. Please.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information