Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colonialism and the co-evolution of ethnic and genetic structure in New Mexico

Last Online
    04-10-2024 @ 08:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    basque
    Ethnicity
    basque , 25% castilian
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,586
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito's Way View Post
    that is not true, my sister in law calls herself Mexican American (yet not Chicana), but she said that older New Mexicans claimed being Spanish due to racism that went on in New Mexico, not because of being anti-Mexican lol but that the newer generation have began reclaiming their Mexican American roots

again, you have no idea what you are talking about because you have no idea about what goes on out there
    EEUU population census show that counties populated mainly by new mexican autoctonous hispanic people are hispano majority while counties populated by mexican inmigrants are mexican majority. New Mexican autoctonous hispanic calle theselves mainly hispano in EEUU census, and not mexican. On the other hand I dont understand why new mexican want to claim mexican roots. When New Mexico was Mexico ( only during 20 years), Mexico was a fake country. and couldnt control New Mexico. I understand to claim sonoran, chihuahuan, sinaloan afinity with New Mexico, but claiming a homogenous mexican identity is stupid. A new mexican is very far from people from Campeche or Oaxaca.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-22-2020 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,458
    Given: 7,646

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by perikolez View Post
    EEUU population census show that counties populated mainly by new mexican autoctonous hispanic people are hispano majority while counties populated by mexican inmigrants are mexican majority. New Mexican autoctonous hispanic calle theselves mainly hispano in EEUU census, and not mexican. On the other hand I dont understand why new mexican want to claim mexican roots. When New Mexico was Mexico ( only during 20 years), Mexico was a fake country. and couldnt control New Mexico. I understand to claim sonoran, chihuahuan, sinaloan afinity with New Mexico, but claiming a homogenous mexican identity is stupid. A new mexican is very far from people from Campeche or Oaxaca.
    I messaged my sister in law and she actually thought you were so stupid lol she said that the first Mexican American right movements in this country actually started in New Mexico by New Mexican Hispanos who were all calling and claiming themselves to be Mexican Americans, she also said now a days no one goes around calling themselves Spanish and if you do, you would be looked as stupid lol that New Mexicans either call themselves Mexican Americans, New Mexicans, Hispanos, Hispanic but they dont claim being Chicano because that is a label they have never identified themselves with

a New Mexican is culturally, linguistically and traditionally more closer to a Oaxacan than to a Spaniard
    New Mexicans eat mole, do Spaniards eat mole? New Mexicans eat tamales? do Spaniards eat tamales? New Mexicans love spicy food, do Spaniards love spicy food?

Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 11:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    CUCARACHA
    Country
    Liechtenstein
    Taxonomy
    CUCARACHA
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,395
    Given: 890

1 Not allowed!

Of course, new mexicans are so pride in brotherhood with mexicans that call themselves new mexicans and not mexicans avoiding any conexion with Mexico and the mexicans and instaured this flag:

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffmannn View Post
    Of course, new mexicans are so pride in brotherhood with mexicans that call themselves new mexicans and not mexicans avoiding any conexion with Mexico and the mexicans and instaured this flag:

yes because having pride in your state = not having pride in your mexican heritage
    damn, i guess my Californian flag in my house means I dislike my mexican side LMAOOOO

you are obviously a moron, people in America have pride in their states, but since a peasant from south america cant afford to travel here, you wouldn't know about it
    Just remember that New Mexico is considered the lowrider capital of the world, and lowrider is part of the Mexican American car culture
    they are also home of the first Mexican American right movements where they fought for the rights of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in this nation
    most New Mexican politicians identify as Mexican Americans and consider themselves to be "Brown"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    basque
    Ethnicity
    basque , 25% castilian
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I messaged my sister in law and she actually thought you were so stupid lol she said that the first Mexican American right movements in this country actually started in New Mexico by New Mexican Hispanos who were all calling and claiming themselves to be Mexican Americans, she also said now a days no one goes around calling themselves Spanish and if you do, you would be looked as stupid lol that New Mexicans either call themselves Mexican Americans, New Mexicans, Hispanos, Hispanic but they dont claim being Chicano because that is a label they have never identified themselves with

a New Mexican is culturally, linguistically and traditionally more closer to a Oaxacan than to a Spaniard
    New Mexicans eat mole, do Spaniards eat mole? New Mexicans eat tamales? do Spaniards eat tamales? New Mexicans love spicy food, do Spaniards love spicy food?
    Then they also have to claim centroamerican roots because they also eat same spicy food. In Spain we also have chiles, but we call them pimientos or guindillas.

New Mexicans were "spanish" colony during 200 years, and "mexicans" during 20 years. Then it is more understable to claim "spanish" colonial ancestry than mexican ancestry. On the other hand, spanish colonial ancestry and nowadays spaniards are very diferente things. Nowadays spaniards didnt go to America. They are not related with latinamericans and colonization of america. I want to say that New Mexicans are more related with spanish territory Virreinato de la Nueva España, than with Mexico as a indenpendent country and national reality. Mexican identity didnt exist or was very weak when Mexico lost New Mexico.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Then they also have to claim centroamerican roots because they also eat same spicy food. In Spain we also have chiles, but we call them pimientos or guindillas.
    Central Americans do not eat spicy food LOL smh

New Mexicans were "spanish" colony during 200 years, and "mexicans" during 20 years. Then it is more understable to claim "spanish" colonial ancestry than mexican ancestry. On the other hand, spanish colonial ancestry and nowadays spaniards are very diferente things. Nowadays spaniards didnt go to America. They are not related with latinamericans and colonization of america. I want to say that New Mexicans are more related with spanish territory Virreinato de la Nueva España, than with Mexico as a indenpendent country and national reality. Mexican identity didnt exist or was very weak when Mexico lost New Mexico.
    Yet in America, when New Mexico became part of USA, they were classified as "Mexicans", some of them were even deported back to Mexico during the 1900's so I don't know what you are talking about? These people have always been seen and will always be seen as Mexican Americans in this country no matter what

Sorry amigo, stop being mad that they do not want to identify as Spanish anymore and that majority of them are now reclaiming their Mexican heritage and identifying themselves as either Mexican American or New Mexican
    Just give it up, look up what they eat, they do not eat anything from Spain, they all eat dishes that are of MEXICAN origin, the fact that Mexico had more of an impact in that state says a lot
    Didn't also Mexico have more impact in the Philippines and Guam? Clearly, the people found our culture a lot more superior and better!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    basque
    Ethnicity
    basque , 25% castilian
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Central Americans do not eat spicy food LOL smh

Sorry amigo, stop being mad that they do not want to identify as Spanish anymore and that majority of them are now reclaiming their Mexican heritage and identifying themselves as either Mexican American or New Mexican
    Just give it up, look up what they eat, they do not eat anything from Spain, they all eat dishes that are of MEXICAN origin, the fact that Mexico had more of an impact in that state says a lot
    Didn't also Mexico have more impact in the Philippines and Guam? Clearly, the people found our culture a lot more superior and better!

México had impact in New Mexico Guam and Philipines, because all of them were spanish colonies. You cant be superior to Spain in colonial era, because Mexico was spanish territory, and mexican colony influenced other spanish colonies thank to spaniards. Independent Mexican state didnt influence Philipines and Guam which followed being spanish until 1898, and New Mexico had a limited influence of mexican independent country until masive mexican inmigration during XXth century.

Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 11:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    CUCARACHA
    Country
    Liechtenstein
    Taxonomy
    CUCARACHA
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,395
    Given: 890

1 Not allowed!

México had impact in New Mexico Guam and Philipines, because all of them were spanish colonies. You cant be superior to Spain in colonial era, because Mexico was spanish territory, and mexican colony influenced other spanish colonies thank to spaniards. Independent Mexican state didnt influence Philipines and Guam which followed being spanish until 1898, and New Mexico had a limited influence of mexican independent country until masive mexican inmigration during XXth century.
    Even in mexican times New Mexico was a very isolated and semi-independent region due to the shortage of communications and trade with the rest of the country (the main traders in New Mexico were americans, even the children of the elite studied in the Jesuits School in Saint Louis, not in Mexico, yet before conquest) and the dangers (the apache, comanche, ute and other hostile tribes attacks were common and the mexican state wasn´t capable of ending them, as happened in spanish times, because the troops were always in the center of the country fighting revolution and coup d´etat constantly, year after year)

Apart of the inexistance of a defined mexican identity, the lack of communications with the rest of Mexico and the abandonment of the region during mexican times helped to create a proper nuevomexicano identity.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-14-2024 @ 04:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 233

0 Not allowed!

Are New Mexicans the Louisiana Creole of New Mexico lol ?

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffmannn View Post

The flag of New Mexico is red and yellow in honour to the flag of Spain, just saying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information