Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,423
    Given: 28,903

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    I'll be polite. Slow Joe isn't fit to shine the half Irish Ronald Reagan's shoes. I'll be fair and say the same for Democrats, JFK and RFK. These three men didn't destroy my country.
    You have much stronger views than me on the topic. Anyway I'm going to resist asking you a question because I just think on this forum I'll stick to mostly genetic issues, history and mythology. This is why I don't like getting drawn into some of these topics. When you realise you aren't going to change someone's thinking and they aren't going to change yours the majority of time it is sometimes better to just save your energy. If I really feel strongly I might be tempted to say something.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

John Thomand O'Brien also known in Spanish as Juan Thomond O'Brien, was an Argentine Army officer born in 1786 in Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow.

John T. O'Brien arrived in Buenos Aires in 1812 to open a merchant house. He enrolled in the army and fought in Uruguay with General Soler, being promoted to lieutenant. In 1816 O'Brien joined José de San Martin's mounted grenadiers regiment in the Andes army. After the battle of Chacabuco John T. O'Brien was promoted to captain and appointed aide-de-camp to general San Martin. O'Brien fought in the battles of Cancha Rayada and Maipú, and in the campaign of Peru. In 1821 he was promoted to colonel and awarded the "Orden del Sol" and Pizarro's golden canopy, which have been borne by the viceroys of Peru in processions.

In Peru John T. O'Brien turned his attention to the mining business. He received from the Peruvian government a grant for the silver mine of Salcedo, near Puno. O'Brien and his associate, Mr. Page, who represented Rundell & Bridge London jewellers, embarked in an effort to provide food and supplies to their miners at Lake Chiquito at 5,500 meters above sea level, from the port of Arica, located 380 kilometres away in the Pacific coast. They purchased a boat in Arica, stripped it of anchor and rigging and after two years of hard labour managed to launch her on the lake. This was the first attempt to establish regular communications between the valleys in Bolivia and the Pacific coast. Unfortunately for O'Brien and Page, a storm destroyed the vessel and with it the hopes of carrying on the mining works. Other remarkable efforts of O'Brien included the transportation of a steam engine across the Andes, digging through Laycayota mountain a canal 600 meters long traversed by nine locks, and laying a railroad for the conveyance of ore.

After the failure of his mining undertaking in Peru, John Thomond O'Brien returned to Buenos Aires. In the mid-1820s a group within the Irish elite of Buenos Aires, including doctors Michael O'Gorman and John Oughagan, and the Irish chaplain Fr. Moran, attracted the interest of the local government to implement an immigration scheme from Ireland to Buenos Aires. They communicated with the archbishop of Dublin and in 1826 commissioned O'Brien to travel to Europe and recruit "moral and industrious" immigrants. He spent two years in Ireland trying to engage emigrants without success. However, he met John Mooney of Streamstown, Co. Westmeath, who went to Argentina in 1828 when O'Brien was returning. This was to be the start of the Irish emigration to Argentina from the Westmeath-Longford-Offaly area. In addition to John Mooney, his sister, Mary Bookey (née Mooney) and her husband, Patrick Bookey, went with O'Brien.

Back in South America in 1835, O'Brien was promoted to general in Peru. In Buenos Aires, he fell in disgrace of the regime led by Juan Manuel de Rosas and was imprisoned before being released through a combination of pleading by Rosas's daughter and British diplomatic pressure.

In 1845 John T. O'Brien published in London the pamphlet Correspondence with the British Government relative to the war between Buenos Ayres and Montevideo and the free navigation of the River Plate, with an Appendix detailing some of the acts committed by Rosas, Governor of Buenos Ayres (London: Reynell & Weight, 1845). In 1847 he was in Montevideo and the following year was appointed special envoy of the Uruguayan Republic to the United Kingdom.

John Thomond O'Brien returned to Ireland and died on 1 June 1861 in Lisbon, on his way back to South America. His remains were repatriated to Argentina in 1938 and received an official funeral. A town in Bragado was named after him.
    https://www.irlandeses.org/dilab_obrienjt.htm

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Roberto Lorenzo Cavanagh Hearne - (November 12, 1914 – September 15, 2002) was an Argentine polo player who competed in the 1936 Summer Olympics. He appears to have Irish ancestry on both sides. His paternal grandfather was Edward Cavanagh Byrne and his maternal grandfather was Michael Hearne O'Connor.

He was part of the Argentine team that won gold.

Juan Cavanagh also in this picture must be his brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Cavanagh

Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 01-06-2022 at 06:25 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Dr. Guillermo MacLoughlin Bréard, the newspaper’s 14th editor in chief, attributes this shift to the relaxation of Irish-Argentine views on mixed marriages, so that by the early 80s most Irish-Argentines would have had Spanish as their first language. Today, more than half a million Argentinians can trace their heritage to Ireland, Dr. MacLoughlin Bréard among them.

“On my father’s side I’m all Irish, sixth generation. My McLoughlin forefathers came from Glascorn, which is five miles from Mullingar in County Westmeath. And the rest - the Maguires, Phillipses, Kellys, Garrahans - came mainly from the Longford-Westmeath border, but also from Wexford (Rossiter, Sinnott). But on my mother’s side I am very mixed. I have Spanish, Italian, French, and a little Irish heritage from her (Hayes).”

Though public accountant by trade, journalism actually runs in his family. His mother’s Irish connection is to a man who first emigrated to the United States and worked as a reporter before meeting a Spanish woman and relocating to Argentina. This route, MacLoughlin Bréard acknowledges, was very uncommon, because most of the Irish who came to Argentina came directly and had to be quite wealthy to afford the journey.
    “Now, we are not more Irish. We are Argentine-Irish. We are Argentinian first, but very proud of our Irish origin, so our main task is to preserve that new identity among all the members of our community.”
    Good article here.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/bu...rate-140-years

He still looks very Irish.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,432
    Given: 6,367

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    You have much stronger views than me on the topic. Anyway I'm going to resist asking you a question because I just think on this forum I'll stick to mostly genetic issues, history and mythology. This is why I don't like getting drawn into some of these topics. When you realise you aren't going to change someone's thinking and they aren't going to change yours the majority of time it is sometimes better to just save your energy. If I really feel strongly I might be tempted to say something.
    You can ask any questions. You might not like the answers, but they're never meant as insults....unless you like to play the dozens.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    You can ask any questions. You might not like the answers, but they're never meant as insults....unless you like to play the dozens.
    I only don't like answers where people are being malicious or overly aggressive. I'm not someone who thinks everyone has the think the same way as I do. I just don't like when people get obnoxious if you don't agree with them. People's opinions are fine as long as they can discuss without getting personal and use name calling. I find that immature and a lack of restraint and I straight away switch off.

Also you have to decide whether on a forum like this you want to get involved in some unnecessary interaction and whether it is better to just not get involved in some discussions. American politics and some controversial topics such as gun laws are something which it is best to avoid when it is not something I can have any influence on. I'm not going to change people's views and it is not worth the angst.

I'm not here for the drama and will only comment on a topic that I feel very strongly about.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,970
    Given: 6,598

1 Not allowed!

I only don't like answers where people are being malicious or overly aggressive. I'm not someone who thinks everyone has the think the same way as I do. I just don't like when people get obnoxious if you don't agree with them. People's opinions are fine as long as they can discuss without getting personal and use name calling. I find that immature and a lack of restraint and I straight away switch off.

Also you have to decide whether on a forum like this you want to get involved in some unnecessary interaction and whether it is better to just not get involved in some discussions. American politics and some controversial topics such as gun laws are something which it is best to avoid when it is not something I can have any influence on. I'm not going to change people's views and it is not worth the angst.

I'm not here for the drama and will only comment on a topic that I feel very strongly about.
    But do you really consider Guevara to be Irish Grace? Because I don't. It's like calling Obama an Irish-American. I don't even consider half-Irish diaspora to be Irish.

I'd be interested in threads about fully or mostly Irish diaspora (and equivalents for English, Scottish and others) in Australia/NZ/Canada/US/South Africa.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,817
    Given: 12,718

1 Not allowed!

I like Grace but if she tries to take my guns there is going to be a problem...

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    But do you really consider Guevara to be Irish Grace? Because I don't. I don't even consider half-Irish diaspora to be Irish.

I'd be interested in threads about fully or mostly Irish diaspora (and equivalents for English, Scottish and others) in Australia/NZ/Canada/US/South Africa.
    No he isn't Irish. He has only some Irish ancestry and it was quite a way back. It's just something that a lot of people wouldn't have known about and the Irish diaspora in countries in South America is something most people aren't aware of. There is a difference between Irish ancestry and being actually Irish which I think everyone would know that. You are shaped by your experiences and influences. It's obvious that people that have Irish ancestry aren't "Irish". To be really Irish you have to have a connection to the culture and be raised among Irish people. This is the same with all people. People who aren't brought up in Ireland would not get a lot of the cultural references or understand the experiences of actual Irish people.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,432
    Given: 6,367

0 Not allowed!

That's cool. You still haven't asked your question, though.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information