R1a
    Hero
    Jorge Vilda
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 2,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Rurik was a Scandinavian. Oleg is a voivode, not a prince. Igor is the first real historical character. Rurik is a legend. Igor's son's name is Svyatoslav (Slavic name). The chronicle says that Oleg and his Varangians worshipped Perun and Veles. Not "Odin and Thor"... this is Perun and Veles. I can quote an ancient chronicle! It's not like Viking domination, is it? In the sequel. Modern archaeology considers Vikings in Russia as modest merchants who paid bribes to local Slavic and Finnish tribes for passage along the Volga. Links to near-scientific articles are a complete mess. The Finnish Swede should quote from the Swedish sagas how they ruled in Russia. She won't find such quotes. She'll find second-rate shit on the Internet.
    Усе буде добре!

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ugochaves View Post
    Rurik was a Scandinavian. Oleg is a voivode, not a prince. Igor is the first real historical character. Rurik is a legend. Igor's son's name is Svyatoslav (Slavic name). The chronicle says that Oleg and his Varangians worshipped Perun and Veles. Not "Odin and Thor"... this is Perun and Veles. I can quote an ancient chronicle! It's not like Viking domination, is it? In the sequel. Modern archaeology considers Vikings in Russia as modest merchants who paid bribes to local Slavic and Finnish tribes for passage along the Volga. Links to near-scientific articles are a complete mess. The Finnish Swede should quote from the Swedish sagas how they ruled in Russia. She won't find such quotes. She'll find second-rate shit on the Internet.
    Yes, everybody will trust everything which is said/written/documented by Russia and Russians ...

LOL

And cows will fly ... some people, you know ... are liars ... from birth moment to last breath. It is genetic matter. I wonder how many times you Russians have re-written your own history? It will change its form whatever will best support the time and the purposes of your leaders. I'm sure the next person after Putin will change it a bit again. That is a common joke in civilized world.

''n Scandinavian sources, the area is called Austr (the "East"), Garšarķki (the "realm of cities"), or simply Garšar (the "cities"), and Svķžjóš hin mikla ("Great Sweden"). The last name appears in the 12th century geographical work Leišarvķsir ok Borgaskipan by the Icelandic abbot Nicolaus (d. 1161) and in Ynglinga saga by Snorri Sturluson, which indicates that the Icelanders considered Kievan Rus' to have been founded by the Swedes. The name "Great Sweden" is introduced as a non-Icelandic name with the phrase "which we call Garšarķki" (sś er vér köllum Garšarķki), and it is possible that it is a folk etymological interpretation of Scythia magna. However, if this is the case, it can still be influenced by the tradition that Kievan Rus' was of Swedish origin, which recalls Magna Graecia as a name for the Greek colonies in Italy.[41]When the Norse sagas were put to text in the 13th century, the Norse colonisation of Eastern Europe, however, was a distant past, and little of historical value can be extracted. The oldest traditions were recorded in the Legendary sagas and there Garšarķki appears as a Norse kingdom where the rulers have Norse names, but where also dwelt the DwarvesDvalin and Durin.[42] There is, however, more reliable information from the 11th and the 12th centuries, but at that time most of the Scandinavian population had already assimilated, and the term Rus' referred to a largely Slavic-speaking population. Still, Eastern Europe is presented as the traditional Swedish sphere of interest.[43] The sagas preserve Old Norse names of several important Rus' settlements, including Hólmgaršr (Novgorod), and Kųnugaršr (Kyiv); Fjodor Uspenskij argues that the use of the element garšr in these names, as well as in the names Garšar and Miklagaršr (Constantinople), shows the influence of Old East Slavic gorodǔ (city), as garšr usually means farmstead in Old Norse. He further argues that the city names can be used to show that the Rus' were also competent in Old East Slavic.[44] At this time the Rus' borrowed some 15 Old East Slavic words,[45] such as the word for marketplace, tǔrgǔ, as torg, many of which spread to the other Old Norse-speaking regions as well.[45][46]
    The most contemporary sources are the Varangian runestones, but just like the sagas, the vast majority of them arrive relatively late. The earliest runestone that tells of eastwards voyages is the Kälvesten runestone from the 9th century in Östergötland, but it does not specify where the expedition had gone. It was Harald Bluetooth's construction of the Jelling stones in the late 10th century that started the runestone fashion that resulted in the raising of thousands of runestones in Sweden during the 11th century; at that time the Swedes arrived as mercenaries and traders rather than settlers. In the 8th, 9th and 10th centuries runic memorials had consisted of runes on wooden poles that were erected in the ground, something which explains the lack of runic inscriptions from this period both in Scandinavia and in eastern Europe as wood is perishable. This tradition was described by Ibn Fadlan who met Scandinavians on the shores of the Volga.[47][48]
    The Fagerlöt runestone gives a hint of the Old Norse spoken in Kievan Rus', as folksgrimʀ may have been the title that the commander had in the retinue of Yaroslav I the Wise in Novgorod.[49] The suffix -grimmr is a virtually unique word for "leader" which is otherwise only attested in the Swedish medieval poem Stolt Herr Alf, but in the later form grim. It is not attested as a noun in the sense "leader" in West Norse sources. In Old Norse, the basic meaning of the adjective grimmr is "heartless, strict and wicked", and so grimmr is comparable in semantics to Old Norse gramr which meant both "wrath", "king" and "warrior".[50]
    Other runestones explicitly mentioning warriors serving the ruler of Kievan Rus' are one of the Skåäng runestones, the Smula runestone and most famously, the Turinge runestone which immortalizes the dead commander with a poem:
    Brųšr vaʀužęiʀ bęstra manna,a landiok i liši uti,heldu sina huskarla ve[l].Hann fioll i orrustuaustr i Garšum,lišs forungi,landmanna bęstr. These brothers werethe best of menin the landand abroad in the retinue,held their housecarls well.He fell in battlein the east in Garšar (Russia),commander of the retinue,the best of landholders.
    The Veda runestone is of note as it indicates that the riches that were acquired in Eastern Europe had led to the new procedure of legally buying clan land,[51] and the Swedish chieftain Jarlabanke used his clan's acquired wealth to erect the monument Jarlabanke Runestones after himself while alive and where he bragged that he owned the whole hundred.''

https://cjadrien.com/swedish-vikings-rus/

http://bunews.com.ua/society/item/an...found-kyiv-rus

https://www.swedenhistorytours.se/bl...eastern-world/

https://www.wou.edu/history/files/20...Katie-Lane.pdf

https://pages.uoregon.edu/kimball/SWD.Viking.Age.htm
    Last edited by Finnish Swede; 08-20-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eagle
    Ethnicity
    Straight
    Country
    Taiwan
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,808
    Given: 7,516

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    Yes, but not by people called Vikings.
    Read the link instead

Last Online
    08-28-2023 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    russian
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Hero
    Jorge Vilda
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 2,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Yes, everybody will trust everything which is said/written/documented by Russia and Russians ...

LOL

And cows will fly ... some people, you know ... are liars ... from birth moment to last breath. It is genetic matter. I wonder how many times you Russians have re-written your own history? It will change its form whatever will best support the time and the purposes of your leaders. I'm sure the next person after Putin will change it a bit again. That is a common joke in civilized world.
    Dear Helga. Lately you've been ignoring me, causing unbearable pain))) Vyborg is a great city. This is probably the last city in Europe that is very medieval. Buildings of the 13th-19th centuries. Russians honor the memory of Swedes and Finns. I have met many Finnish car numbers. And I bought Swedish chocolate with nuts. All Finno-Swedish monuments are preserved. The grave- monument to the fallen Finns is well maintained. I fed Finnish cats and mosquitoes in Vyborg. I was stung by a Finnish wasp. What else do you need?
    Усе буде добре!

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ugochaves View Post
    Dear Helga. Lately you've been ignoring me, causing unbearable pain))) Vyborg is a great city. This is probably the last city in Europe that is very medieval. Buildings of the 13th-19th centuries. Russians honor the memory of Swedes and Finns. I have met many Finnish car numbers. And I bought Swedish chocolate with nuts. All Finno-Swedish monuments are preserved. The grave- monument to the fallen Finns is well maintained. I fed Finnish cats and mosquitoes in Vyborg. I was stung by a Finnish wasp. What else do you need?
    The city is in crap condition. If it would have stayied part of Finland ... today it would be most beautiful city in Finland.

You know there was a old stone based church in Vyborg ... a pretty old one from year 1435 - 1445? There were wood based churches before that ... but you (Novgorods) burned them to ash. This stone chuch got bad hits while Winter War 1939 (thanks to you Russians). After WWII You russians used it as a dump. Finally 2016 reparation work started (paid and organized by Finns). Thanks to COVID and your attack to Ukraine ... I think it has been put into ice again.

It just is that you can not change the history (yes your leaders can tell lies in Russia but we others know better) and the real history will not show you (Russians) in any positive/good lights. And yes, there is nothing you can do about it. Your ancestors decided behalf of you.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,462
    Given: 15,607

0 Not allowed!

Seems just a vanity thing for her
    Anglo Saxon + Frank (4.336)
    Viking Danish + Frank (4.338)
    Gael + Frank (4.39)
    Anglo Saxon (4.393)
    Viking Danish + Anglo Saxon (4.568)

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,765

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu View Post
    Read the link instead
    Why?

To help you read?

"Viking raids were a characteristic of the Scandinavian early medieval pirates called the Norse or Vikings, particularly during the first 50 years of the Viking Age (~793-850). Raiding as a lifestyle was first established in Scandinavia by the 6th century, as illustrated in the epic English tale of Beowulf;"

The time before is called the Vendel Period https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendel_Period and folks there are not called Vikings. Btw. also Curonians had such a lifestyle and again before that the Saxons in the first centuries after the turn of times had as well. That's nothing specific to the later Vikings.
    Last edited by rothaer; 08-20-2023 at 09:35 PM.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Sųrlendingen
    Country
    Norway
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (Morley)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 258

1 Not allowed!

Ridiculous.

"It's hard for me to tell when it all started".

With Instagram. Typical attention whoring.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    Hero
    Turin Turambar, Hśrin Thalion and Aulė
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,931
    Given: 20,239

1 Not allowed!

Never understood this Neo-Paganistic craze of dressing up like one's ancestors from the distant past just for the sake of Instagram or Tik-Tok likes/media attention. Why not just accept the modernistic lifestyles that is prevalent in all first world societies and try to integrate old cultural practices/customs in a normal and healthy manner rather than being an attention grabber?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

- H.P. Lovecraft

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 04:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic-Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Religion
    Axis Mundi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,240
    Given: 1,587

3 Not allowed!

Even though it is interesting, I don’t know about the Old Norse mythology nor the Viking times mindsets, but alternatively, I really took liking to her and her vlogs as she delves much deeper into things than just being a superficial poser doing dress ups:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information