Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Ears View Post
    "Parma" on permic languages means "hills covered with forest". Toponym "Perm" derived from "parma" too. Traditionally as Parma is considered upper Kama river basin territory (North part of Perm krai) and Pechora river basin territory (Komi republic).
    The Finnish name for Ostrobothnia is Pohjanmaa, which literally means "bottom's land". The English word "Bothnia" is also derived from the Swedish word for "bottom".

One of the two commonly proposed etymologies for the name of Lapland is that it's a cognate of the Finnish word "lape", which is given these meanings by Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Lappi#Finnish): "the flat of a blade", "any of the flat or sloped sides of a roof", "edge", "periphery".

"Lape" is derived from Proto-Uralic: "From Proto-Finnic *lap'eh, from Proto-Uralic *lappɜ. Related to Estonian lape, Livvi lappieh, Veps lapt, Erzya лапужа (lapuža), Komi-Permyak [script needed] (lap), Udmurt [script needed] (lapeg), Eastern Mari [script needed] (lap), Hungarian lapos, Khanty [script needed] (lăpsaχ) and Tundra Nenets [script needed] (lapcā-)."

The names Bjarmia and Perm might similarly be cognates of the Finnish word "perä", which means bottom. It has the cognate "бӧр" in Komi-Permyak: "From Proto-Finnic *perä, from Proto-Finno-Ugric *perä. Cognates include Estonian pära, Karelian perä, Livonian piera, Erzya пря (prja), Komi-Permyak бӧр (bör) and Udmurt бэр (ber)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perm#Etymology:

The name Perm is of Uralic etymology, likely of Finno-Ugric origin (Komi-Permyak: Перем, Perem; Komi: Перым, Perym). [...] In Finnish and Vepsian perämaa means "far-away land"; similarly, in Hungarian perem means "edge" or "verge".

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Пермь#Этимология:

The main versions of the origin of the toponym are as follows [15][16]:

- from the Biarmia country mentioned in the Scandinavian sagas - this version was proposed in 1730 by F.I. von Stralenberg, it prevailed in historical research until the beginning of the XIX century and was accepted, in particular by V.N. Tatishchev, M.V. Lomonosov and N. M. Karamzin;
    - from fin. perämaa, Veps. perämaa "back ground". According to modern Finno-Ugric scholars, others also go back to this word: Перемь, Перьмь, and others. Scand. Bjarmaland, which originally denoted a certain Baltic-Finnish territory on the White Sea coast. In the process of Old Russian colonization, the toponym Perm shifted east and was transferred to the ancestors of the Komi-Zyryans (Perm Vychegodskaya), and then the Komi-Permians (Perm Great) [17].
    - from the Komi парма "forest". Max Fasmer notes the phonetic difficulties of this version.

I guess an etymology related to the word "парма" would make semantic sense as well. According to Finnish Wikipedia (https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_(Komi)), the word specifically means "korkealla paikalla kasvava kuusikko, aarniometsä, harjanne" ("spruce forest in an elevated location, primeval forest, ridge").

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,434
    Given: 1,436

1 Not allowed!

Perä merkitsee pohjoista ja kodan takaosaa, joka oli aina pohjoissuunnassa. "Käy peremmälle" - käy sisään kotaan eteläisestä oviaukosta. Muinaissuomessa pere tarkoitti taloa, virossa edelleen perhettä, kodan/ talon asukkaita. Suomenkielessä yleinen h: lisäys johti sanaan perhe (vrt. parhain ym. virossa vana, suomessa vanha. virossa vene, suomessa vene/venhe, vara - varhain,).
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 07-07-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-17-2021 @ 07:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Perä merkitsee pohjoista ja kodan takaosaa, joka oli aina pohjoissuunnassa. "Käy peremmälle" - käy sisään kotaan eteläisestä oviaukosta. Muinaissuomessa pere tarkoitti taloa, virossa edelleen perhettä, kodan/ talon asukkaita. Suomenkielessä yleinen h: lisäys johti sanaan perhe (vrt. parhain ym. virossa vana, suomessa vanha. virossa vene, suomessa vene/venhe, vara - varhain,).
    Ei sitä h-äännettä ole varsinaisesti lisätty suomessa, vaan suomessa sanan lopussa oleva h-äänne on vaihtanut paikkaa, virossa se on kadonnut, ja karjassa on säilynyt alkuperäinen muoto:

perhe: "From Proto-Finnic *pereh. Believed to come from the same Proto-Uralic root as perä ("rear"), referring to the background of a person, compare alkuperä ("origin"), peräisin ("originating from"), perehtyä. First written appearance is from 1548 in the Finnish version of Sweden's maanlaki ("law of the country") translated by a cleric known as Herra Martti. Cognate with Karelian pereh, Estonian pere, Võro pereh, Veps pereh, Livonian perē."
    valhe: "From Proto-Finnic *valeh. Cognates include Estonian vale, Karelian valeh."
    ihme: "From Proto-Finnic *imeh. Cognate with Estonian ime, Votic ime and Karelian imeh."

Varmaan helpommin pohjaa tarkoittava siirtyy tarkoittamaan pohjoista kuin päinvastoin. Tai samoin perhettä voidaan helpommin ruveta sanomaan pohjaksi kuin päinvastoin.

Komi-Permyak "бӧр" means "a place behind" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/бӧр).

Hungarian "far" means "buttock, posterior", "stern (ship)", "tail, rear (vehicle)" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/far#Hungarian). However Ante Aikio derived it from Proto-Uralic "*ponče" ("tail") and not Proto-Uralic "*pure-" ("back, rear").

Ülev

1 Not allowed!

Uusia työpaikkoja ei näy eikä kuulu – tekeekö hallitus mitään?

Ülev

3 Not allowed!

Komi community was expelled by Paleo-Atlantid forces?

first Laag, now Ymyyakhtakh, what a pity!!!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,434
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ülev View Post

Yeah, ymyykk has weird ideas, but tolerable. I don't exactly understand how people lose their temple too easily.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly Atlantid with Dinaric influence.
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,572
    Given: 48,303

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ülev View Post

Not sure about being Komi but surely these two were autistic but no issue with that. I am Aspie myself.

Ülev

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Not sure about being Komi but surely these two were autistic but no issue with that. I am Aspie myself.
    what if others are ill and they were ones of the last normal people on here?

Last Online
    12-21-2022 @ 07:13 PM
    St. Petersburg, Beloostrov/Valkeasaari suburb
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Veps (Northwestern Vologda Oblast), Komi
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Vologda Oblast, Lake Beloye area, Lipin Bor village, Cherepovets area, Kurilovo village
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    Baltid, Ladogan
    Politics
    Leftist
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 33

1 Not allowed!

Ok, I just discovered this thread. So, I'm Komi, born in St. Petersburg, but my mom was born in the Komi lands, so I know quite a bunch. Ask me something, if you want.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information