Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 818
    Given: 824

2 Not allowed!

Default Six Types of Love

Do you believe in the Six Types of Love?

The ancient Greeks found diverse kinds of love in relationships with a wide range of people— friends, family, spouses, strangers, and even themselves. This contrasts with our typical focus on one single romantic relationship, in which we hope to find all the different loves we could possibly experience wrapped into a single person or soul mate.

What kind of love do you have in your life? What is your opinion!?

1. Eros, or sexual passion

The first kind of love was eros, named after the Greek god of fertility, and it represented the idea of sexual passion and desire. But the Greeks didn’t always think of it as something positive, as we tend to do today. In fact, eros was viewed as a dangerous, fiery, and irrational form of love which could take hold of you and possess you — an attitude shared by many later spiritual thinkers, such as the Christian writer C.S. Lewis.

Eros involved a loss of control that frightened the Greeks. Which is odd, because losing control is precisely what many people now seek in a relationship. Don’t we all hope to fall “madly” in love?

2. Philia, or deep friendship

The second variety of love was philia or friendship, which the Greeks valued far more than the base sexuality of eros. Philia concerned the deep comradely friendship which developed between brothers in arms who had fought side by side on the battlefield.

It was about showing loyalty to your friends, being willing to sacrifice for them, as well as sharing your emotions with them. (Another kind of philia, sometimes called storge, embodied the love between parents and their children.)

We can all ask ourselves how much of this comradely philia we have in our lives. It’s an important question in an age when we attempt to amass “friends” on Facebook or “followers” on Twitter—achievements that would have hardly impressed the Greeks.

3. Agape, or love for everyone

The third love, and perhaps the most radical, was agape, or selfless love. This was a love that you extended to all people, whether they be family members or distant strangers. Agape was later translated into Latin as “caritas,” which is the origin of our word “charity.”

C.S. Lewis referred to it as “gift love,” the highest form of Christian love. But it also appears in other religious traditions, such as the idea of mettā or “universal loving kindness” in Theravāda Buddhism.

There is growing evidence that agape is in a dangerous decline in many countries. Empathy levels in the US have declined sharply over the past 40 years, with the steepest fall occurring in the past decade. I believe that we urgently need to revive our capacity to care about strangers.

4. Pragma, or longstanding love

Another Greek love was the mature love known as pragma. This was the deep understanding that developed between long-married couples.

Pragma was about making compromises to help the relationship work over time, and showing patience and tolerance.

The psychoanalyst Erich Fromm said that we spend too much energy on “falling in love” and need to learn more how to “stand in love.” Pragma is precisely about standing in love—making an effort to give love rather than just receive it. With about a third of first marriages in the US ending in divorce or separation in the first ten years, the Greeks would surely think we should bring a serious dose of pragma into our relationships.

5. Philautia, or love of the self

The Greek’s sixth variety of love was philautia or self-love. And the clever Greeks realized there were two types. One was an unhealthy variety associated with narcissism, in which you became self-obsessed and focused on personal fame and fortune. But a much healthier version of philautia enhances your wider capacity to love.

The idea was that if you like yourself and feel secure in yourself, you will have plenty of love to give others (as is reflected in the Buddhist-inspired concept of “self-compassion”). Or, as Aristotle put it, “All friendly feelings for others are an extension of a man’s feelings for himself.”

6. Playful love (Ludus)

This was the Greeks’ idea of playful love, which referred to the affection between children or young lovers. We’ve all had a taste of it in the flirting and teasing in the early stages of a relationship. But we also live out our Ludus (as the Latins call it) when we sit around in a bar bantering and laughing with friends, or when we go out dancing.

Dancing with strangers may be the ultimate ludic activity, almost a playful substitute for sex itself. Social norms may frown on this kind of adult frivolity, but a little more ludus might be just what we need to spice up our love lives.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/02/13/love-like-a-greek-the-six-types-of-love-2/?fbclid=IwAR1bKya91DE5-QjXVD8hVh8Nfvqn6-3koKO6q1rvMOyf9wGBWGsUWa19A

Banned
    Last Online
    05-22-2020 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    One Drop Rule Activated!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H7a
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid
    Politics
    Save Us All From Whitey
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,458
    Given: 7,646

1 Not allowed!

I had all of those because I was a big time player
    I like this one better, fits me a lot more because I went through these stages

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

1 Not allowed!

1, 4 and 5 are what I experience in my life.
    After not shaving for a while:

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito's Way View Post
    I had all of those because I was a big time player
    I like this one better, fits me a lot more because I went through these stages

Your sister, mom and grandma don't count.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,205
    Given: 15,978

2 Not allowed!

I’ve always preferred the playful type of love.
    Even in relationships.
    I have experienced mostly 6, 1 and 2 I believe.

Thread Information