Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How has Russia remained as one nation?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Default How has Russia remained as one nation?

Think about it - when the Brits created an empire their settlers became Australians, New Zealanders, Anglo-South Africans, Canadians and Americans.

When the Spanish did it their settlers became the Argentines, Uruguayans and White Latin Americans.

So how has Russia remained as one nation for so long? Is it because Russia is a continuous territory rather than the British and Spanish colonies which were very distant from the mother countries and often not on the same continent or is it something else?

How has Russia remained as one unit when all other empires became divided?

Maybe it's about Siberia being only lightly populated, or something about the Russians which keeps the nation together maybe?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

It hasn't. Belarus and the Ukraine...

As for the Velikorusskie - the Great Russians - there are distinct ethnographic subgroups, like the Pomors, Cossacks of various stripes, old Siberians, and all the various regional identities like you get in any large nation. That these are together still owes something to the constant movement (voluntary and .. involuntary) of people between these parts, knitting them together, but also stands as testimony to the power of the Russian Myth.

One thing I see in Russia that we could do better, is this national legend of the nation. After the Tatar disruption, the main theme was the 'Regathering of the Lands'. Moscow headed this, and it got coupled with all sorts of heroic and even messianic ideas. Later on, this even switched into a global role of salvation... As such, Russian national symbols are far more powerful than any we have to draw on in England.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It hasn't. Belarus and the Ukraine...
    Well they see themselves as being distinct. Anyway, question: are Belarussian and Ukrainian mutually intelligible with Russian or are they totally different?

As for the Velikorusskie - the Great Russians - there are distinct ethnographic subgroups, like the Pomors, Cossacks of various stripes, old Siberians, and all the various regional identities like you get in any large nation.
    Yes, I heard of a few of them, that's what made Russia staying together seem even less likely to me, distinctions between different regions based on the historic movement of Russians at different times.

That these are together still owes something to the constant movement (voluntary and .. involuntary) of people between these parts, knitting them together, but also stands as testimony to the power of the Russian Myth.
    What is the Russian myth?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

Geography.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by celtabria View Post
    Well they see themselves as being distinct. Anyway, question: are Belarussian and Ukrainian mutually intelligible with Russian or are they totally different?
    Russians can't be bothered understanding the other two, but they would if they made the effort. Speakers of the other two almost always know Russian anyway, even if they pretend they dont.

Put it this way, though. I almost understand written Bulgarian, which is several steps further away.
    Yes, I heard of a few of them, that's what made Russia staying together seem even less likely to me, distinctions between different regions based on the historic movement of Russians at different times.
    No, they're all emphatically Russian. The provincials will curse Moscow on occasion, but they won't split away from the name of 'Russia'.
    Basically, "We are Russians. We're fucking amazing. We were put on the Earth for some glorious purpose, whatever it may be."

Last Online
    11-24-2012 @ 11:49 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

There is some feature in Russians. For example, New Zealanders are New Zealanders, Australians are Australian, Russians would ever be just Russians, e.g. in the California - Fort Ross. Moreover, Dutchs, Germans,Brits become Russian forever

Banned
    Last Online
    08-11-2012 @ 01:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Norman
    Country
    Scotland
    Politics
    Progressive Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

They're distinct from Russia in the same way that Aussies are distinct from the English. And yes, Belarussian/Ukrainian/Russian are mutually intelligible with each other.

Well, they've been invaded by Mongols/Tartars/French/Germans at various points in history, so I'd guess the "Russian myth" is their determination to kick out the foreign invaders and make their nation strong. In the old times, they had something similar to the American "Manifest Destiny", where they pushed back the Tartars in the east, settled the wild frontiers, and conquered land until they reached the Pacific Ocean.

This expansionist mentality, combined with a self-image as the victim, is also the reason why they have this arrogant attitude to the Baltic countries or Poland.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Put it this way, though. I almost understand written Bulgarian, which is several steps further away.
    If only English was that compatible with German and French.

Basically, "We are Russians. We're fucking amazing. We were put on the Earth for some glorious purpose, whatever it may be."
    Oh, that. Yeah, I heard them saying basically that before. I heard many Russians see themselves as apart from Europeans and Asians, kind of like Brits but I think they actually believe it.

Well, they've been invaded by Mongols/Tartars/French/Germans at various points in history, so I'd guess the "Russian myth" is their determination to kick out the foreign invaders and make their nation strong. In the old times, they had something similar to the American "Manifest Destiny", where they pushed back the Tartars in the east, settled the wild frontiers, and conquered land until they reached the Pacific Ocean.

This expansionist mentality, combined with a self-image as the victim, is also the reason why they have this arrogant attitude to the Baltic countries or Poland.
    Ah, I see. The autarkal isolationists who don't need help from anyone. Sounds like Britain before the two world wars.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ColourBlind View Post

Actually it had more to do with the Muscovites considering their empire to be the next direct successor of the Roman Empire after the Byzantine Empire fell. Russia's expansion eastwards was out of a desire to build a Roman Empire and they were pretty successful in that regard.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-11-2012 @ 01:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Norman
    Country
    Scotland
    Politics
    Progressive Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Oh, that. Yeah, I heard them saying basically that before. I heard many Russians see themselves as apart from Europeans and Asians, kind of like Brits but I think they actually believe it.
    Well, they are miles apart from both Europeans and Asians. I suppose the Slavs in the far east can qualify as an "European settler country", the same way as Australia or NZ. In fact, Russia is big enough to qualify as a continent of its own.

Ah, I see. The autarkal isolationists who don't need help from anyone. Sounds like Britain before the two world wars.
    Naw, not at all like Britain. They're expansionist, not isolationist.
    Russia is not an island like Britain. They've been invaded repeatedly, so their idea of "defending our nation" is to attack, attack, attack. In the old times, many Russians viewed the smaller countries around Russia as just another wild land to be conquered and settled.

But yes, the Russians share an "imperial nostalgia" with France and Britain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information