Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Overrated movie directors according to you (give us one name)

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,127
    Given: 9,061

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    The holy trinity of overrated directors:

Only edgy teens love their movies. As a director, Nolan doesn't bring anything new, this guy doesn't have an own style (like Fincher, Lynch, Kubrick, Scorsese, Leone, etc), is just generic shot after generic shot. This guy doesn't seem to try to do anything challenging. All of his movies have a lame plot twist that doesn't even matter to the story (Memento, Inception) or one that is too obvious (Interstellar).

Dunkirk was the most boring and sterile war movie I ever had the displeasure of watching.
    Quentin bring to the table something that others don't a viewer immediatelly can tell that a Tarantino movie, limited movies that's true, but he's a legend.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,853
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

Sidney Lumet
    The Coen Brothers

Agreed on those posted so far.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,720
    Given: 43,625

0 Not allowed!

Only edgy teens love their movies. As a director, Nolan doesn't bring anything new, this guy doesn't have an own style (like Fincher, Lynch, Kubrick, Scorsese, Leone, etc), is just generic shot after generic shot. This guy doesn't seem to try to do anything challenging. All of his movies have a lame plot twist that doesn't even matter to the story (Memento, Inception) or one that is too obvious (Interstellar).
    THIS!!! Couldn't have said it better. I can't believe Tarantino is considered half-God among movie directors. My mom loves his work, I hate most of it apart from some good dialogues he can write + soundtrack

Dunkirk was the most boring and sterile war movie I ever had the displeasure of watching.
    Hehe, fantastic description of Dunkirk.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    I think idea is amazing, but I didn't care about Leo's character. Even his wife was psychotic like and plain evil. DiCaprio is good actor, but he was never to my liking, somehow he lacks charisma. I think he is best at comic roles. This isn't fault of director though, but I don't like his characters depth and film was messy, hard to follow and in my opinion going to fast just to appear more attractive.

PS Leonardo Dicaprio is too similar in many of his roles. I still don't consider him bad, but surely overrated to be considered best of his generation. This is offtopic though.
    His woman was psychotic because she didn't know what to believe, he put her into this position and she couldn't never forgive him, in that phase they could have anything they thought of via dreams, she lost meaning of her life and couldn't tell what's true and what's not. This movie was a masterpiece but people have to understand it into the depth.
    What you've said about Di Caprio told me my uncle month ago, I think if a person achieves something that great, should be forever remembered for it's greatness, I mean Django, Shutter Island, Catch me if you can, Titanic, Bloody Diamond, Wolf of Wall Street, Departed etc. But ye I get where are you coming from, Leonardo himself looks like a guy without emotions for me too.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    Steven Spielberg is never overrated believe me, actually he is one of few directors where you can find actually bad movies. You forgot Schindlers list, Indiana Jones series - Sensation at time, Catch me if you can, Jurassic Park - Another sensation, could continue. He moved music industry 20 years forward.
    Yes, I could have included those and also ET which I enjoyed as a kid. He is an all-time great director but many consider him the best of his generation, which I disagree with. Spielberg was lucky to come along in the big budget, special effects era which started to blossom in the 70s and 80s. Francis Ford Coppola produced three movies (Godfather I, Godfather II, and Apocalypse Now) that were superior to anything you or I have listed from Spielberg and did with less budget and far less movie output. He is just one of many directors I could use to illustrate this point.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    His woman was psychotic because she didn't know what to believe, he put her into this position and she couldn't never forgive him, in that phase they could have anything they thought of via dreams, she lost meaning of her life and couldn't tell what's true and what's not. This movie was a masterpiece but people have to understand it into the depth.
    What you've said about Di Caprio told me my uncle month ago, I think if a person achieves something that great, should be forever remembered for it's greatness, I mean Django, Shutter Island, Catch me if you can, Titanic, Bloody Diamond, Wolf of Wall Street, Departed etc. But ye I get where are you coming from, Leonardo himself looks like a guy without emotions for me too.
    I liked him in Catch me if you can, he feels more natural in not so serious, con-artist roles

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,853
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

The teen thing is very true. I loved Pulp Fiction when I was 14, watched it again in my early 20s and thought it was shit.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Yes, I could have included those and also ET which I enjoyed as a kid. He is an all-time great director but many consider him the best of his generation, which I disagree with. Spielberg was lucky to come along in the big budget, special effects era which started to blossom in the 70s and 80s. Francis Ford Coppola produced three movies (Godfather I, Godfather II, and Apocalypse Now) that were superior to anything you or I have listed from Spielberg and did with less budget and far less movie output. He is just one of many directors I could use to illustrate this point.
    Disagree, Godfather is good, but Spielberg had much much believe me much harder movies to direct, you can't even compare it. Imagination of Spielberg doing his movies had to be like 20x bigger.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Unpopular opinion: I rate Leone's Once Upon A time in America (directors cut version, not messed up cinematic release) higher than Godfather's Triology. That film way always pure magic for me.
    Good night!

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,397
    Given: 2,643

1 Not allowed!

Pedro Almodóvar, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Alfonso Cuarón.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information