E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,889
    Given: 18,287

3 Not allowed!

Default Ancient History of Ireland, Newgrange, Celts, Vikings

"Ireland has a rich and fascinating ancient history; from the great megalithic structures of the Neolithic, like Newgrange, to the spectacular gold jewellery of the Indo-European Bell Beaker folk, the weapon hoards of the Irish Bronze Age, the enigmatic La Tene Celtic art of the Iron Age and the intricate knot-work of the Hiberno-Norse in the Irish Viking age. I look at all of these in this brief account of the history of Ireland, and then I discover a gothic castle called Knockdrinn, in which my ancestors lived, and which local people believe to be haunted. Finally, I read some spooky accounts of the ghostly creatures of the castle taken from the folklore collection at University College Dublin."

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

1 Not allowed!

used to be ours I2, I1 before R1b came :C

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosniensis View Post
    used to be ours I2, I1 before R1b came :C
    Irish are just north shifted Vlachs that don't tan well

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 06:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,540
    Given: 9,189

2 Not allowed!

Outstanding book I recommend if interested in Ireland.

In the winter of 1951, a storyteller, the last practitioner of an honored, centuries-old tradition, arrives at the home of nine-year-old Ronan O'Mara in the Irish countryside. For three wonderful evenings, the old gentleman enthralls his assembled local audience with narratives of foolish kings, fabled saints, and Ireland's enduring accomplishments before moving on. But these nights change young Ronan forever, setting him on a years-long pursuit of the elusive, itinerant storyteller and the glorious tales that are no less than the saga of his tenacious and extraordinary isle.

“History, legend, memory and myth come seamlessly together in Frank Delaney’s wonderfully engaging new novel, Ireland.” (Washington Post)

“An epic novel of history and storytelling.” (U.S. News & World Report)

“Delaney gracefully collects essential myths―and invents a few, too―in his heartfelt ode to the oral tradition.” (Entertainment Weekly)

“Dramatic, adventurous, heroic, romantic, slyly comic ... imaginatively [tells] the history of Ireland.” (Philadelphia Inquirer)

“In the end, IRELAND is, as the Irish themselves are fond of saying about everything from cabbage to castles, brilliant.” (San Antonio Express-News)

“Miraculous ... As befits its title, IRELAND touches the heart and moves the soul.” (Richmond Times-Dispatch)

“Extraordinary … Delaney is such a fabulous storyteller that the 560 pages fly by.” (Connecticut Post)

“Delaney has written an epic novel on the history of Ireland....He’s a born storyteller.” (Hartford Courant)

“A sprawling, riveting read ... the stories utterly captivate ...in this rich and satisfying book.” (Publishers Weekly)

“A vivid rendering of Irish history.. reminiscent of the best of James Michener in scope and sheer crowd-pleasing potential.” (Kirkus Reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/Ireland-Novel.../dp/0061244430

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,473
    Given: 28,939

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KMack View Post
    Outstanding book I recommend if interested in Ireland.

In the winter of 1951, a storyteller, the last practitioner of an honored, centuries-old tradition, arrives at the home of nine-year-old Ronan O'Mara in the Irish countryside. For three wonderful evenings, the old gentleman enthralls his assembled local audience with narratives of foolish kings, fabled saints, and Ireland's enduring accomplishments before moving on. But these nights change young Ronan forever, setting him on a years-long pursuit of the elusive, itinerant storyteller and the glorious tales that are no less than the saga of his tenacious and extraordinary isle.

“History, legend, memory and myth come seamlessly together in Frank Delaney’s wonderfully engaging new novel, Ireland.” (Washington Post)

“An epic novel of history and storytelling.” (U.S. News & World Report)

“Delaney gracefully collects essential myths―and invents a few, too―in his heartfelt ode to the oral tradition.” (Entertainment Weekly)

“Dramatic, adventurous, heroic, romantic, slyly comic ... imaginatively [tells] the history of Ireland.” (Philadelphia Inquirer)

“In the end, IRELAND is, as the Irish themselves are fond of saying about everything from cabbage to castles, brilliant.” (San Antonio Express-News)

“Miraculous ... As befits its title, IRELAND touches the heart and moves the soul.” (Richmond Times-Dispatch)

“Extraordinary … Delaney is such a fabulous storyteller that the 560 pages fly by.” (Connecticut Post)

“Delaney has written an epic novel on the history of Ireland....He’s a born storyteller.” (Hartford Courant)

“A sprawling, riveting read ... the stories utterly captivate ...in this rich and satisfying book.” (Publishers Weekly)

“A vivid rendering of Irish history.. reminiscent of the best of James Michener in scope and sheer crowd-pleasing potential.” (Kirkus Reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/Ireland-Novel.../dp/0061244430
    Even up to the 70s in Ireland in the countryside people used to entertain each other with storytelling beside the fire. This sort of thing is all but gone now. I'll definitely order that book and thanks for the recommendation.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    "Ireland has a rich and fascinating ancient history; from the great megalithic structures of the Neolithic, like Newgrange, to the spectacular gold jewellery of the Indo-European Bell Beaker folk, the weapon hoards of the Irish Bronze Age, the enigmatic La Tene Celtic art of the Iron Age and the intricate knot-work of the Hiberno-Norse in the Irish Viking age. I look at all of these in this brief account of the history of Ireland, and then I discover a gothic castle called Knockdrinn, in which my ancestors lived, and which local people believe to be haunted. Finally, I read some spooky accounts of the ghostly creatures of the castle taken from the folklore collection at University College Dublin."

Just started watching this. I've been to Newgrange. It's an other worldly experience and quite amazing that they knew so much about astrology so long ago. I wasn't there during the Winter Solstice to see the tomb getting lit up by the sun but that would be an amazing experience.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Just started watching this. I've been to Newgrange. It's an other worldly experience and quite amazing that they knew so much about astrology so long ago. I wasn't there during the Winter Solstice to see the tomb getting lit up by the sun but that would be an amazing experience.

Would love to go. Only have been to Ireland once and didn't do north of Dublin.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Would love to go. Only have been to Ireland once and didn't do north of Dublin.
    It is well worth the look. I went years ago with my Aunt and cousin. We also went to Drogheda to see Oliver Plunkett's head and stopped in a field full of cows to have lunch. It was a great day.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up