Sweden and Finland.
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default 'Don't mess with the red star or Russia's national anthem'

Tingeling tingeling - It’s the song all of Sweden is singing. But laughing at Russia’s national anthem and emotionally charged symbols is just not funny, writes Sweden-based translator Anna Titova.

The song ’Tingeling’, performed during the interval of the Melodifestivalen final on Saturday, was of course just a joke and Sveriges Television (SVT) had no intention of upsetting anybody. But the question that needs to be asked is: what was SVT’s intention? This so-called “humourous song” certainly wasn’t funny. At best, it displayed a very bad sense of humour.

I’m not going to bring up stereotypes such as Matryoshka dolls, Cossacks and dancing bears. We Russian have already become accustomed to these and no longer really care since they just bear witness to Swedes’ lack of knowledge or interest when it comes to another country. There is no sign of any development when it comes to these stereotypes. Time passes, people and countries change, but Swedes are stuck with an outdated image of the world and are incredibly pleased with themselves.

But that’s not what has aggravated the Russian embassy or Russians who watched the performance on SVT. During the sketch, the Russian national anthem is played and the red star is placed on the backsides of tackily dressed dancers. SVT’s communications manager Helga Baagøe said SVT gives its full backing to the sketch and does not see any reason at all to apologise despite the Russian reaction.

I can actually understand why Saturday night’s events on the Globen stage seem completely unproblematic in Sweden. It’s hard to expect anybody in a country that “missed” the Second World War to understand the importance of the symbols.

So allow me to explain: The red star is an incredibly important symbol for every Russian. It stands for victory over fascism. At least ten million Russians sacrificed their lives in the fight against fascism under the red star flag. It is saddening to say the least to see this symbol used as it is in the Swedish context.

SVT also uses the Russian national anthem in the sketch. As far as I’m aware, national anthems are considered national symbols that ought to be respected. It’s no coincidence that people stand to attention when listening to a national anthem, as even every school child will be able to tell you.

It shouldn’t have been too hard to imagine that this might not strike all viewers as appropriate. And people who work for SVT, Sweden’s largest television broadcaster, should at least be educated enough to recognize certain nuances. At least I’d like to think so.

All the Russian people I know were entirely baffled by the SVT sketch. The production team at SVT needs to realize that it’s not a good idea to use symbols considered very important in another country just to satisfy an audience’s vulgar expectations.

Russian national Anna Titova is a Stockholm-based student and part-time translator who has lived in Sweden for the past two years.
    http://www.thelocal.se/18336/20090319/

And here's that HORRIBLE video that the media and all culturalists in Sweden are SOOOOOOO mad about!
    How 'bout a video about Germany with some nazis? Or perhaps a video about finns with a bottle of moonshine and a knife? Or perhaps a video of all the racist swedes? Everybody would just laugh and enjoy the parody...
    [YOUTUBE]cWo6Dbwq4Ms[/YOUTUBE]

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hilding View Post
    And here's that HORRIBLE video that the media and all culturalists in Sweden are SOOOOOOO mad about!
    Yuck! I would have been offended if that was about England.

How 'bout a video about Germany with some nazis?
    I think the Germans have enough self flagellation issues about the whole second world war without us contributing towards that.

Last Online
    04-30-2009 @ 12:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    swedish
    Ancestry
    Sweden and Finland.
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    Yuck! I would have been offended if that was about England.

I think the Germans have enough self flagellation issues about the whole second world war without us contributing towards that.
    Well atleast I have enogh self distace to enjoy a parody that is made for fun and not for political propaganda. Prejudices makes good jokes.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Prejudices makes good jokes.
    They certainly do. Yet this wasn't exactly the pinnacle of comedy. This was just tasteless and tacky, and if it was geared towards England I would be overly offended.

Anna Titova was right in being offended, but wrong in how she should have been offended.

Last Online
    04-30-2009 @ 12:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    swedish
    Ancestry
    Sweden and Finland.
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    They certainly do. Yet this wasn't exactly the pinnacle of comedy. This was just tasteless and tacky, and if it was geared towards England I would be overly offended.

Anna Titova was right in being offended, but wrong in how she should have been offended.
    Well I agree on that it "wasn't exactly the pinnacle of comedy" but still I don't think that it is anything to be offended by. It is all over the swedish media you know.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It is all over the swedish media you know.
    Must be a particularly slow period for the Swedish press.

The English press is currently going crazy over a low-IQ'd half-caste from East London with cancer.

Last Online
    03-30-2009 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic,Finno,Nordic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland, Norway, Iceland, Finland
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Long live Germany Long Live the Reich!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sweden
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Sigtun
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Germany in this competition is what? And what the hell is Sweden’s.

Last Online
    08-06-2011 @ 05:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian-German
    Ancestry
    75% Latvian 25% German
    Country
    Latvia
    Taxonomy
    Baltid-Nordic
    Politics
    Nordicism
    Religion
    fatalism is realism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59

0 Not allowed!

It is good that they make fun about Russian symbols!! Under the dirty red star million of people have died by communists and moscow imperialists, they subyugate other people and countries. Anna Titova should shut up and go home to Russia....

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,730
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

I agree with that. They don't get scorned for no reason.
    If you look at Russia's history (not just her recent history) you'll see bloodshed, imperialism, conquest and murder coupled with nothing less then incompetence (they want an empire just for the heck of it, killing everything that is in their way, but they don't know how to rule it). Not much more- and most certainly not less.

Doesn't the Swedish press have any important issues to write about: like the multicultural society that is so "enriching" their beautiful country... or what is left of it ?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information