Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,853
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Samnium View Post
    Lot of French people do embrace their "Gallic/Celtic" heritage actually, some French like to describe themselves as "Gauls" (= Gaulois in french) especially in rural areas, with the Yellow Jackets, at the beginning you've seen that term. It's also used by those who live in the banlieues (peripherical areas with mostly immigrants) to talk about French people.
    I guess what I mean is that in France sans Brittany there seems to have been less of a Celtic cultural revival from the 19th century Romantic period to the present, compared to the British Isles and Anglosphere. Consequently, Celtic culture, identity, history, and looks have come to be associated mostly with the culture/identity/looks of Gaelic and Brittonic people, despite the fact they were never even called Celts until the 18th century. It just surprises me that ancient Gauls/Celts haven't played more of a part in the French national imagination, considering they are probably still overwhelmingly descended from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Samnium View Post
    For the beginning of the nation, it seems that a substantial proportion of the population (if not the majority) identify this beginning to the Revolution (and strongly advocates Revolution values), then others will more put the beginning of the French nation to the "creation" of French monarchy (6th century) which is correct historically in my opinion.
    I'm guessing that's a mostly left/right divide, where leftists mainly see the nation beginning at the Revolution, and rightists mostly at the Frankish monarchy?

Last Online
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,317
    Given: 2,697

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I guess what I mean is that in France sans Brittany there seems to have been less of a Celtic cultural revival from the 19th century Romantic period to the present, compared to the British Isles and Anglosphere. Consequently, Celtic culture, identity, history, and looks have come to be associated mostly with the culture/identity/looks of Gaelic and Brittonic people, despite the fact they were never even called Celts until the 18th century. It just surprises me that ancient Gauls/Celts haven't played more of a part in the French national imagination, considering they are probably still overwhelmingly descended from them.
    Extinction of Gallic languages and lack of continuous Celtic folklore might have something to do with that. There is nothing Celtic about the French besides the blood and maybe some cultural values (which is something very vague). In contrast, the Celtic gods of Britain were merely reduced to fairies but continue to live in the rural folklore.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,853
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Extinction of Gallic languages and lack of continuous Celtic folklore might have something to do with that. There is nothing Celtic about the French besides the blood and maybe some cultural values (which is something very vague). In contrast, the Celtic gods of Britain were merely reduced to fairies but continue to live in the rural folklore.
    Yep, that's it really. It's impressive how completely the Gauls/French were severed from their cultural roots. The Romans really did a number on them.

Probably the same reason why native Celtic culture had such little influence in England (Romanisation of the Britons).

Last Online
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,317
    Given: 2,697

1 Not allowed!

Yep, that's it really. It's impressive how completely the Gauls/French were severed from their cultural roots. The Romans really did a number on them.
    In Germany, you could still hear stories about 'woden' with his white horse leading the einherjar in a spectral hunt through the skies less than one century ago (don't know if that is still the case). I ask myself why England failed to preserve the memories of their ancestors even though they were heathen for longer than Germans? It seems like the French might have played a role in that too.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-21-2023 @ 06:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    French
    Ancestry
    France, Italy, Switzerland
    Country
    France
    Region
    Val d'Aosta
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,343
    Given: 3,478

1 Not allowed!

Gauls/Celts have played a great role in the roman national that was taught at school more than 100 years ago, there are towns with Vercingétorix statues as well. It's only recently that have been "eradicated" from the national syllabus, because of political incorrecteness.

Maybe the Celtic revival wasn't as important as in British Isles, but it happened as well. Many scholars and historians like Jacques Bainville with his Histoire de France at the beginning of the 20th century contributed to propagate the history of these people.

I agree however that latin influence is very present, of course, like in almost all the countries of Western Europe.

The only part that seems to have retained strongly that celtic heritage it's Britanny.

I'm guessing that's a mostly left/right divide, where leftists mainly see the nation beginning at the Revolution, and rightists mostly at the Frankish monarchy?
    Yes mostly, but most of right people are also Republicans. I mean, bonapartists that constitute the majority of the right now, are strongly republican and use Republican values/principles.

Orleanists and Legitimists are the opposite, strongly monarchists.

I'm in favor of the second side (even if Orleanists and Legitimists are themselves opposed upon the question of who has to become the next king of France) I would say, I hate French Republic, it's not based on a vague feeling or an unreasonated hate, it came from my reading and knowledge of this period mostly.

"Allobroges vaillants ! Dans vos vertes campagnes,
    Accordez-moi toujours asile et sűreté,
    Car j'aime ŕ respirer l'air pur de vos montagnes,
    Je suis la Liberté ! la Liberté !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information