Thread: Differences between Russian Orthodox and other Western denominations of Christianity

Banned
    Last Online
    09-10-2020 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Aussie Euromutt
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I-S17250 (White Croat)
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a (Angles, Saxons, Jutes)
    Taxonomy
    Mostly East Nordid/Baltid/Borreby
    Hero
    Our troops, police and farmers
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,823
    Given: 4,058

1 Not allowed!

Default Differences between Russian Orthodox and other Western denominations of Christianity

I've been considering converting to Russian Orthodox from Anglican Christian for the past couple months, mostly because Western denominations are too heavily politicised these days and because I'm only first generation Anglican (my family is Lutheran, RO and Catholic).
    Are there any characterising differences between the two?

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Aussie Euromutt
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I-S17250 (White Croat)
    mtDNA
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Aussie Euromutt
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I-S17250 (White Croat)
    mtDNA
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Aussie Euromutt
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I-S17250 (White Croat)
    mtDNA
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

bump again

Ülev

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy20 View Post
    I've been considering converting to Russian Orthodox from Anglican Christian for the past couple months, mostly because Western denominations are too heavily politicised these days and because I'm only first generation Anglican (my family is Lutheran, RO and Catholic).
    Are there any characterising differences between the two?
    same there:
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr...church-crisis/

Last Online
    06-01-2020 @ 01:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 205

1 Not allowed!

I've been considering converting to Russian Orthodox from Anglican Christian for the past couple months, mostly because Western denominations are too heavily politicized these days and because I'm only first generation Anglican (my family is Lutheran, RO and Catholic).
    Awesome! the process of conversion should be seeing yourself as a process of healing from the sins of the world. The Orthodox church is one united church, but there are various ethnic churches that exist like the Russians or Greeks. We describe ourselves as Catholic with a capital "C" (aka universal) because the church sees itself as the same church that Christ established in His lifetime.

To put it short and simple the differences between the Orthodox and Catholic churches are the following:

1. Orthodox practice Infant baptism
    2. The Orthodox Bible has several books not found in the Catholic or Protestant Bibles (including my favourite book Tobit)
    3. The Orthodox do not have a specific stance on pergatory.
    4. Traditional Orthodox churches do not have pews.
    5. Orthodoxy does not regard the patriarch or Pope of Rome as supreme.
    6. Orthodox believe that Mary was born with original sin
    7. The major one is that the Orthodox do not believe in the filioque, which basically is a clause added later that says the holy spirit proceeds from the Father AND the Son. Most Protestants since they are from the western tradition also believe in this. This specific thing is probably the biggest crux between Catholicism and Orthodoxy and has a long history behind it.
    8. The existence of the "nous" (disclaimer: NOT the nous used by pagan philosophers such as Aristotle), rather its seen as the heart of the soul. The closest thing in the west to this is the "eye of the soul" referenced by Saint Augustine. Over the centuries the west eventually lost this idea.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble. But the Orthodox church, while being more traditional faces many of the challenges that beset other Christian groups. Same Rothschild NGOs continue to pour money through Ivy league schools and Cambridge to promote queer theology and the like into the church. However, the Russian church is your best bet to avoid that.

https://www.roea.org/files/Orthodox%...Christians.pdf

Given the history of the Anglo-Saxons, after the schism the Pope ordered the Normans to invade England and destroy all resistance to him. Which lead to many Anglo Saxons resettling and marrying into the Russian and Greek Orthodox lands. Also, the Orthodox venerate all western saints before the great Schism of 1054. During the 20th centuries many Orthodox people came to England and have rebuilt monasteries with those old relics.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Aussie Euromutt
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I-S17250 (White Croat)
    mtDNA
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Awesome! the process of conversion should be seeing yourself as a process of healing from the sins of the world. The Orthodox church is one united church, but there are various ethnic churches that exist like the Russians or Greeks. We describe ourselves as Catholic with a capital "C" (aka universal) because the church sees itself as the same church that Christ established in His lifetime.

To put it short and simple the differences between the Orthodox and Catholic churches are the following:

1. Orthodox practice Infant baptism
    2. The Orthodox Bible has several books not found in the Catholic or Protestant Bibles (including my favourite book Tobit)
    3. The Orthodox do not have a specific stance on pergatory.
    4. Traditional Orthodox churches do not have pews.
    5. Orthodoxy does not regard the patriarch or Pope of Rome as supreme.
    6. Orthodox believe that Mary was born with original sin
    7. The major one is that the Orthodox do not believe in the filioque, which basically is a clause added later that says the holy spirit proceeds from the Father AND the Son. Most Protestants since they are from the western tradition also believe in this. This specific thing is probably the biggest crux between Catholicism and Orthodoxy and has a long history behind it.
    8. The existence of the "nous" (disclaimer: NOT the nous used by pagan philosophers such as Aristotle), rather its seen as the heart of the soul. The closest thing in the west to this is the "eye of the soul" referenced by Saint Augustine. Over the centuries the west eventually lost this idea.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble. But the Orthodox church, while being more traditional faces many of the challenges that beset other Christian groups. Same Rothschild NGOs continue to pour money through Ivy league schools and Cambridge to promote queer theology and the like into the church. However, the Russian church is your best bet to avoid that.

https://www.roea.org/files/Orthodox%...Christians.pdf

Given the history of the Anglo-Saxons, after the schism the Pope ordered the Normans to invade England and destroy all resistance to him. Which lead to many Anglo Saxons resettling and marrying into the Russian and Greek Orthodox lands. Also, the Orthodox venerate all western saints before the great Schism of 1054. During the 20th centuries many Orthodox people came to England and have rebuilt monasteries with those old relics.
    Very informative, thanks

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgar
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Byzantine + Scythian (5.528) Seleucid + Scythian (5.695) Seleucid + Gaul (7.389) Byzantine + Gaul
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    E-FTD7860 / maternal grandparents I-p37, J-M172
    mtDNA
    J1c-C16261T
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Religion
    Orthodoxy Christianity
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,896
    Given: 1,003

2 Not allowed!

[QUOTE = RandomGuy20; 6545954] Обмислях да премина към руски православни от англикански християнски през последните няколко месеца, най-вече защото западните деноминации са твърде силно политизирани в наши дни и защото съм само първо поколение англикански (моето семейство е лутеранско, RO и католик).
    Има ли някакви характеризиращи разлики между двете? [/ QUOTE]
    Orthodoxy is one for all Orthodox. If you are interested, it may be best to visit an Orthodox church in your country and talk to a priest. That's the right thing
    ...Even if a man lives well, he dies and another one comes into existence. Let the one who comes later upon seeing this inscription remember the one who had made it. And the name is Omurtag, Kanasubigi.

Thread Information