Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,105
    Given: 4,008

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    Dave Matthews Band
    I’m was listening to them rn that’s creepy (I guess mostly bc it’s dark outside)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

The biggest name in electronic music should not be skrillex it should be Aphex Twin

By Tom Barnes
    Jan. 27, 2015

Before releasing his masterful Syro in September, electronic music legend Aphex Twin had been "silent" for 13 years. Once regarded as electronic music's guiding light, his absence in part let the genre wander into some questionable trash-pop territory, garnering a largely negative reputation in the music community. Its sound became more associated with Skrillex and his brand of EDM than with its founders.

But that has only primed audiences for Aphex Twin's return. Critics widely regarded his album as one of the crowning musical achievements of the year, with some specifically positioning it as a loving and human alternative to the excesses of modern EDM. Really, the album is just another flawless representation of the highly textural and elusive electronic music Aphex Twin has been pioneering since 1991. And when he released a new 10-track EP last week, he proved once and for all that he's out to show electronic music what it was always meant to do: Innovate and change our idea of what music can be.

Aphex Twin has always been committed to innovation. That's the exact opposite of what people associate with EDM — "predictable," "generic" and "cheesy" would probably ring more bells. But while these may describe the endlessly derivative, maddeningly monotonous bump and grind of recent artists like Skrillex, Diplo or David Guetta, they can't represent the genre's long and vital history. Aphex Twin is the kind of electronic musician we should celebrate as the genre's biggest star. Judging by the strength of the first of his (hopefully numerous) offerings, 2015 might be the year that starts.

This has always been his role in the genre. Since his very first studio release, Selected Ambient Works 85–92, Aphex Twin has been instrumental in bringing electronic music out of the dance clubs and into a more meditative and artistic space. He's constantly pushed new sounds, techniques and styles, building many of his own instruments and compositional software programs to expand his musical palette. He created a primitive precursor to drum and bass music with the rapid fire percussive patterns on 1992's "Tamphex." On 2000's "Windowlicker," his most famous single, he brought further nuance to that rhythmically unpredictable style and his fascinatingly glitchy visual aestethic. Its mildly terrifying video delivers a NSFW critique of '90s pop video tropes and our culture's obsession with celebrity.

The loping rhythmic patterns and ghostly but irresistable melodic stylings he pioneered have influenced artists across genres. As Grantland points out, "basically any Timbaland, any recent Radiohead or Radiohead-influenced bands or pretty much any bit of electronic music since the mid-'90s" all drew their inspirations from Aphex Twin. Thom Yorke once credited Aphex Twin's music for completely revolutionizing the artistic direction of Radiohead's later albums: "Aphex opened up another world that didn't involve my fucking electric guitar, and I was just so jealous."

Listen to Radiohead's Kid A alongside songs like "Girl/Boy Song" off the Richard D. James album and you'll see the Aphex Twin stamp clear as day.

Aphex Twin was even a huge influence on Skrillex. In December 2011, Skrillex posted Aphex Twin's "Flim" on his Facebook, calling it his "fav song of all time." It seems Skrillex has good taste, but he has yet to master anything close to the song's organic and effortless melodic sensibilities, even though his own fame is much greater.

Aphex Twin even commented on the radical difference between his and Skrillex's music in a recent Q&A hosted by Groove magazine. The feature allowed popular electronic artists like Hot Chip, Caribou and Nicolas Jaar to ask questions of the master. Swiss-Chilean DJ Luciano asked Aphex Twin's thoughts on the current EDM scene.

"It's fine. I actually don't care what people are doing. I just care about what they're actually playing. It doesn't feel related to anything I'm doing," he said. "This guy Skrillex, I've only heard about his tracks, because my kids played them. It sounds like he has a good grasp of technology. I think it's pretty poppy, isn't it? It's too poppy for me."

That's because electronic music is often thought of as cheap, almost disposable. Aphex Twin offers a striking, necessary alternative to that attitude. EDM has gone full-on pop, chasing the next huge satisfying drop, so much so that it's lost all sense of structural and sonic innovation. Now that Aphex Twin is finally back, he may be set to once again take the controls and drive electronic music towards a brighter new future. Even Skrillex would agree it's time.

https://www.mic.com/articles/109278/...-be-aphex-twin

Last Online
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Ethnicity
    🦄
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    The biggest name in electronic music should not be skrillex it should be Aphex Twin
    You perplex me James

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 04:17 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Anglo, Baltic
    Ethnicity
    English, French, Irish, Scottish, German, Distant American Indian
    Ancestry
    Mother's Side: Colonial Virginia. Fathers Side: German/Lithuania early 1900s.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Atlantid-CM
    Politics
    Paleo Conservative
    Hero
    General Lee
    Religion
    Christian Protestant
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,029
    Given: 10,292

0 Not allowed!

Patsy Cline, Elvis Presley, John Denver .Just about anything but the Beetles.

Rgvgjhvv

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nittionia View Post
    I’m was listening to them rn that’s creepy (I guess mostly bc it’s dark outside)

Nice!! I've seen them live I think 11 times now

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 05:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Amazigh/Berber
    Ancestry
    Algeria
    Country
    Switzerland
    mtDNA
    W3a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,943
    Given: 4,116

0 Not allowed!

Depends on the moment but right now currently obsessed with :

Tamino
    Lana del Rey
    Paolo Nutini
    The Paper Kites
    Refs
    Michael Kiwanuka

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,531
    Given: 24,991

0 Not allowed!

I've only seen them 3 times

I saw them once, I think it was Giants stadium, and a thunderstorm was brewing, just as the concert was nearing it's end. Wind started to blow, lightning flashing, and Dave was playing the intro to Two Step, which as you probably know, has a tension filled, building up sort of feel - it was coinciding with the build up of the storm perfectly. Well, then the sht hit the fan. Hail, wind, rain, thunder and lightning, it was scary. The concert (and Two Step) ended as the storm reached a crescendo. You would not believe how quickly that stadium cleared! It was a perfect ending.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Ethnicity
    🦄
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I’ve seen them live too! Really good concerts for the summer time

Ülev

1 Not allowed!

Kelly Family

no kidding, when I was 14-17 I was a fan of local football club, and every second week always heard that song on stadium

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

0 Not allowed!

Of the western bands - this is Depeche Mode.
    When you're tired of studio albums, you start listening to concerts, and then remixes. Tired of remixes - you return to studio albums.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information