Thread: How are the former Soviet countries doing today?

Ülev

3 Not allowed!

Default How are the former Soviet countries doing today?

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 05:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Avar
    Ancestry
    Kazbek district
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 522

1 Not allowed!

The only Soviet republics who became truly democratic are three Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) but they have problems with demography - natives emigrate to EU countries and local Nationalists fear growth of Russian minority.
    Moldova, Georgia and Ukraine are relatively democratic (compared to Russia) but local oligarchs and mafia have strong positions. Don't forget their Nationalist sentiments against minorities which often led to wars. This is a reason why minorities are strongly pro-Russian.
    Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan retained Soviet model when ruling party control all political process in country. Very bad Soviet model was adapted successfully by oligarch elites who are depended from Western banks and treat their own people badly. Azerbaijan belong to this category but with strong Nationalist (anti-Armenian) tendencies. Before Pashinyan Armenia also belong to that category but afterwards became relatively democratic. The only difference - Armenia is pro-Russian while Azerbaijan is pro-Turkish.
    Central Asian republics after dissolution of USSR quickly became a totalitarian dictatures under mask of anti-Terrorism. Local dictators turned their states into Third world countries, which export cheap labour force and Afghan drugs to Russia.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

lol

MINSK, 16 March (BelTA) – Belarus President Aleksandr Lukashenko met with Head of the Belarus President Administration Igor Sergeyenko and State Secretary of the Security Council Andrei Ravkov on 16 March, BelTA has learned.

Top on the agenda was Russia's decision to shut down its border with Belarus over coronavirus. Aleksandr Lukashenko noted that this decision is not of a great concern, but needs attention. “We should think of how to act adequately. It is weird that no one in the Russian government knows that there is no border between Belarus and Russia; this border is not delineated and demarcated. We have no border, therefore there is nothing to shut down. Maybe, they have already established this border. It is up to them,” Aleksandr Lukashenko said.

At the same time, the head of state pointed to the wording of Russia's decision: they did not announce border controls, they announced border closure. “Drawing from my experience, I would like to tell some hot heads in Russia to think before saying something. Indeed, it is easier to shut down something or to start a war than to find a way out of this situation. Borders will have to be re-opened one day. I know what it means: we have already been through it with Boris Yeltsin and Viktor Chernomyrdin (may they rest in peace; they are probably watching us doing these things)… They knew what it takes to do it. It is not easy. But I had to go through this period in my life, and I would not want it to happen again. But the people who came to power in Russia probably do not understand it,” Aleksandr Lukashenko said.

Russia said it is closing the border over coronavirus. However, the Belarusian president noted that it is impossible to fight such a disease this way. This is what virologists say. “If we follow the Russian logic, Russia should draw borders regionally to separate the Far East, Siberia, the Urals, the Caucasus, to draw the line somewhere in the north of the European part. Russia is huge, half the world. Why cut Belarus off from Russia without thinking about the consequences? I think that they are more concerned about how to fence off Moscow to make sure the government of the Russian Federation stays safe. What is going to happen? God forbid, something happens to Mishustin... Probably, this is the main reason and they have started from afar,” the head of state said. He stressed that viruses should be combated professionally and point-by-point.

Aleksandr Lukashenko also said that Russia offered to send 3,000 tests to detect coronavirus to Belarus. “We were confused over such kindness from Russia. They would fight over a spoonful of oil and now they offered this,” he said. It turned out that Russia noticed the successful experience of Belarusian medics in the western direction and decided to “sponsor”.

“They have admitted that we are doing this right. Russia should have helped us, both in terms of finances and human resources, on our Union State joint border near Brest rather than close its border with Belarus. We would have accepted this help and contained the disease on the border,” the president said.

Comparing the size of the two countries, the head of state said that it is Belarus that should be scared of the huge Russia spreading the virus to it. “Yesterday, the Russian prime minister said that they were on fire. They did not give all the information to the media. The situation is difficult there. We should be worried about the situation. Why are you afraid of Belarus? The situation here is under control and we take it very seriously. Let's do it together. No, they have closed the border. Well, this is their decision,” Aleksandr Lukashenko said.

He stressed that the main thing in the current situation is to prevent the virus from affecting people's life and the economy. “What is the Russian government thinking about it? A total of 110 million tonnes of cargo was transited over the year. Have they agreed to transport it via Ukraine? Ukraine closed its borders long ago. Are they going to do it through the Baltic states? They have closed their borders, as well. How are they going to transport these cargoes at all? Should we assume that the virus may be present in the oil or gas pipelines? Some 70 million tonnes of oil is transported vis the Druzhba oil pipeline. What were the people thinking about when they took such decisions?” the president wondered.

In his words, it is also unclear what to do with Belarusian and Russian nationals who work and study abroad. “How can they make such decisions? Without any consultations we have to accept this as an accomplished fact. I don't understand it. And the most interesting thing is the following: it is probably not up to the government to decide to close the border. This decision should be made by the president,” Aleksandr Lukashenko said. He said that he had not talked to the Russian leader yet, but a telephone conversation between the presidents had been planned. “What if they've already adopted a new constitution? Who knows,” the head of state asked ironically.

Last Online
    12-31-2023 @ 11:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavomongol
    Ethnicity
    fugly
    Country
    Pakistan
    Y-DNA
    A1DS
    mtDNA
    H1N1
    Taxonomy
    Turanid/Mongoloid
    Hero
    Black O'Banana
    Religion
    Pantardism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,818
    Given: 3,519

1 Not allowed!

I have been only to the three baltic states.
    Lithuania was depressing. People looked suicidal and I'm not even making this up. It was truly sad to witness.
    On the other hand, Estonia and Letonia left me with an extremely good impression.
    Both of these countries were clearly in a much better shape than they were under communist slavery.
    - Mongol Pride Worldwide -
    - Uzbek Pride Worldwide -
    -------------------------------------

Banned
    Last Online
    03-30-2022 @ 09:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Cold People
    Country
    Poland
    Taxonomy
    DaloFaelid
    Politics
    No fear, no hate, no broken hearts
    Hero
    Richelieu, Abraham Lincoln
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,487
    Given: 1,250

1 Not allowed!

The three main countries of the former Soviet Union: Russia, Ukraine and Belarus failed to build a stable, democratic state. There was such a chance in the early 90's of the 20th century. But their political class lacked the courage and determination to introduce the necessary reforms. These countries stopped halfway between Europe and "Third World" countries. To illustrate this, I will give you a fact: in 1990-1993 Ukraine had a higher income per capita than Poland. Currently, the situation is quite different.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,604
    Given: 48,333

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by щрбл View Post
    I have been only to the three baltic states.
    Lithuania was depressing. People looked suicidal and I'm not even making this up. It was truly sad to witness.
    On the other hand, Estonia and Letonia left me with an extremely good impression.
    Both of these countries were clearly in a much better shape than they were under communist slavery.
    Curiously enough ... Lithuania has the highest suicide rate in Europe.

Thread Information