Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puerto Rican AncestryDNA Results

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    I agree it's probably high. Based on all the studies and results I've seen, I think the average is closer to 70%.

But what I'm more interested in is the regional breakdown. I find it very interesting that Puerto Ricans are scoring a lot of Portuguese. From what I have seen, most non-Caribbean Latinos do not.

For example, I have 14 Mexican ancestry DNA results. 15% of the Mexican Euro ancestry shows up as Portuguese, but 35% of the Puerto Rican Euro ancestry shows up as Portuguese. I wonder what explains that difference? More Galician ancestry in Puerto Ricans? More Canarian?
    Its probably a combination of both the Portuguese input carried by Canarians and the fact that some Portuguese sailors were boarding those ships during colonization.

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,362
    Given: 11,959

1 Not allowed!

These are the results of all my DNA cousins that list their current residence as the city of San Juan. I chose to use people living in San Juan because its the most populated city and a melting pot of people with roots from all over the island. However, these are all DNA matches of mine so the sample is likely not fully representative - my colonial ancestry is from the Western part of the island, so many of my DNA cousins also have roots there.

I thought it would be interesting to use ancestryDNA data for four reasons:

1) I have over 100,000 matches there, almost all of them Puerto Rican so it will be easy to add more samples going forward (Puerto Ricans seriously love DNA tests)
    2) It gives less unassigned than 23andMe, which often gives Latinos 10+% unassigned
    3) A large number of people have uploaded family trees, so it's easy to see what area of the island their family originates from and sometimes what regions of Spain. A lot of them are very simple, but still useful.
    4) It has 3 Iberian regions (Spain, Portugal, and Basque) - if we can get results from other countries, maybe we can draw conclusions about which Iberian regions sent to most settlers to each country

I think the most interesting/valuable thing will be to see how things vary according to European ancestry range, as Argentano has done in the past but for now I only have the average data.

The average of my 78 DNA cousins living in San Juan is:

77.2% European/MENA; 12.3% Amerindian; 8.8% Sub-Saharan African; 1.7% other/unassigned/remainder

This is how the distribution looks:

Here is the regional breakdown, IMO the most interesting part. I hope to make more posts later on with more analysis, but for now I'll just post the averages.

77.2% European/MENA

Notes:

-The high British Isles seems standard for Latinos on AncestryDNA. I don't think it's real in most cases, at least from what I've seen. Some people scoring 10+% British Isles have all Spanish surnames going back hundreds of years in isolated mountain villages. I've seen people speculate elsewhere that it signals more Northern Spanish ancestry, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.
    -The high Portuguese is more surprising. Most non-Puerto Rican Hispanic results I've seen have score more Spanish than Portuguese, yet they are almost equal for Puerto Ricans. I wonder if this represents Galician ancestry? Hopefully more people post ancestry results and we can make a more informed guess.
    -The French does seem to be correlated at least loosely with Catalan/Balearic ancestry. People with Catalan surnames/grandparents did seem to score more of it.
    -I combined a lot of categories under .5% to make it more readable.

12.3 Amerindian

Notes: The high Eastern South America is interesting but makes sense. That region covers the Amazon, where the Taino originate. I assume the others are also Taino being labelled as something else, although I do think some of the Colombia/Venezuela could be real because a large number of loyalist refugees from those countries went to Puerto Rico after they gained independence.

8.8% Sub-Saharan African

Notes:
    -The Cameroon, Congo & Southern Bantu Peoples is very interesting. It's the highest overall, but most people score none of it. However, people with high African scores seem to get a lot of it. I speculate this means that a lot of the more recently arrived enslaved Africans were from that region, while those from earlier in the colonial period tended to come from elsewhere. I hope to look into this a bit more.
    Excelente tabajo

Yo aca habia hecho algo similar pero con 23andme.

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-ancestry-only

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argentano View Post
    Excelente tabajo

Yo aca habia hecho algo similar pero con 23andme.

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-ancestry-only
    That thread is awesome. Do you have any Argentine ancestryDNA results? I'm really interested in comparing the Portuguese:Spanish:Basque ratios between countries.

I'm interested in how much Portuguese Puerto Ricans seem to be scoring relative to mainland Latin America.

I'd also be interested to see if places like Chile and Colombia have elevated Basque scores.

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Ancestry
    Castilla (Spain) , Middle eastern (Levant) Azteca Mèxico
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,497
    Given: 5,081

0 Not allowed!

I agree it's probably high. Based on all the studies and results I've seen, I think the average is closer to 70%.

But what I'm more interested in is the regional breakdown. I find it very interesting that Puerto Ricans are scoring a lot of Portuguese. From what I have seen, most non-Caribbean Latinos do not.

For example, I have 14 Mexican ancestry DNA results. 15% of the Mexican Euro ancestry shows up as Portuguese, but 35% of the Puerto Rican Euro ancestry shows up as Portuguese. I wonder what explains that difference? More Galician ancestry in Puerto Ricans? More Canarian?
    Yeah I think Puerto Rican are more Galician/Portuguese/Canarian.

While Mexicans Castillan-andalusian/Sephardic Jews

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,362
    Given: 11,959

0 Not allowed!

That thread is awesome. Do you have any Argentine ancestryDNA results? I'm really interested in comparing the Portuguese:Spanish:Basque ratios between countries.

I'm interested in how much Portuguese Puerto Ricans seem to be scoring relative to mainland Latin America.

I'd also be interested to see if places like Chile and Colombia have elevated Basque scores.
    i dont have ancestryDNA results. Where can i find those?

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argentano View Post
    i dont have ancestryDNA results. Where can i find those?
    I have found a few that people have posted online (especially Mexicans and Puerto Ricans).

Here are the two I've seen from Argentina (but this is before the update, so they;re not directly comparable to the PR ones I've been using - there are now many more Amerindian categories and a lot of people's Euro changed significantly.):

The second one mentioned Volga German ancestry, I think.

But my main source of AncestryDNA results has been DNA matches. I have over 100,000 matches on there and the vast majority of my matches are Puerto Rican.

And since the focus of the site is genealogy, most people have family tree. Sometimes it only goes back one generation, but it's still interesting to see their parents' birth locations and grandparents 4 surnames.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information