"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,640

0 Not allowed!

Post English Renaissance led to Modern South Asia

The English Renaissance of 16th & 17th century led to greater demand in finer things in life which fueled East India Company looking for trade in spices, silks, colored fabrics, fine wood/ivory, precious gems etc.... Huge number of big diamonds,gems and other exotic things from South Asia were sourced initially by trade but later by military

England defeated Dutch and French forces to get monopoly on routes to South Asia.

Later the big powers like Mughals & Afghans in South Asia were subdued using newly created Army from their rivals and the original inhabitants.
    Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 Medals -> https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-the-Deep-dive
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive (1725-1774), Governor of Bengal

A commoners became a Barron due to heroic deeds, seized the historic opportunity to defeat French and then took over the all the trade routes to India. Then recruited Hindus into Madras Army defeated Mughals destroyed their organization built the British East India Company as a strong force in Indian politics. Laid the foundation of Indian Army with Stringer Lawrence.

'Clive of India'. Soldier; a clerk in the East India Company, 1744; took Arcot from the French, 1751, and with Stringer Lawrence, captured Trichinopoly; after the 'Black Hole', relieved Calcutta and in 1757, at Plassey, won his greatest victory; returned to England 1760; MP for Shrewsbury; governor of Bengal 1765; returned, broken in health, the following year; though commended for his services, also censured by a parliamentary enquiry for his policies in India; died by his own hand.
    Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 Medals -> https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-the-Deep-dive
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Stringer Lawrence, (born March 6, 1697, Hereford, Herefordshire, Eng.—died Jan. 10, 1775, London), British army captain whose transformation of irregular troops into an effective fighting force earned him credit as the real founder of the Indian army under British rule.

During 20 years of army service, Lawrence rose from ensign to captain and served at Gibraltar, in Flanders (Belgium), and at the Battle of Culloden (1746; Inverness, Scot.). He joined the East India Company early in 1748 and commanded company troops at Madras (Chennai). He so trained his mixed force of Europeans, and sepoys (Indian soldiers in British employ) that by June 1748 he was able to foil a French attack on Cuddalore; he was captured by the French, however, and released after the Treaty of Aix-la-Chappelle (1748). In the capture of Devakottai in 1749, his subordinate officer was Robert (afterward Lord) Clive, who eventually became a lifelong friend.

Successfully recruited Indian soldiers from former Hindu kingdoms, created Madras Army, laid foundations for the present day army in India, Pakistan and Bangla. The Indian Army later played huge role in First & Second World Wars.

Promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1752, Lawrence returned to Madras and immediately relieved the town of Tiruchchirappalli. With Clive’s assistance he then destroyed the French force under Jacques Law, won another victory at Bahur, and for 17 months in 1753–54 successfully defended Tiruchchirappalli in campaigns that frustrated French plans. In Madras in 1758 he again repulsed the French. In 1761 he was made commander in chief of all East India Company forces, with a seat on the council and a royal commission as major general. In 1766 he left India for retirement. Robert Clive, when presented a gift sword by the East India Company, refused to accept it unless a similar honour was presented to his veteran commander, Lawrence, who had been ignored. Later Clive helped relieve Lawrence’s financial straits by arranging an early pension of £500 for him.
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive of Plassey, KB (September 29, 1725 - November 22, 1774), also known as Clive of India, was the soldier of fortune and commander who established the military supremacy of the East India Company in Southern India and Bengal. He is widely regarded as a key figure in the establishment of British India and of the consolidation of British imperial ambition. For good or ill, Great Britain, not France, would rule India for the better part of the next two centuries. Clive's legacy impacted on the future of India, which the British regarded as the "jewel" in their imperial crown. Clive may not have set out to change history but the consequences of his victories in India brought Britain and India, East and West, into intimate and sustained contact.

Starting from 16th Cen, The European Trading companies still acknowledged the sovereignty of the Emperor at Delhi, but their relations with these regional rulers were of much greater importance. In addition the relationship between the Europeans was influenced by a series of wars and treaties on mainland Europe. Since the late seventeenth century, the European merchants had raised bodies of troops to protect their commercial interests and latterly to influence local politics to their advantage.

Major-General Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, (29 September 1725 – 22 November 1774), also known as Clive of India, Commander-in-Chief of British India, was a British officer and privateer who established the military and political supremacy of the East India Company in Bengal. He is credited with securing a large swath of South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan) and the wealth that followed, for the British East India Company. In the process, he also turned himself into a multi-millionaire. Together with Warren Hastings he was one of the key early figures setting in motion what would later become British India. Blocking impending French mastery of India, and eventual British expulsion from the continent, Clive improvised a military expedition that ultimately enabled the East India Company to adopt the French strategy of indirect rule via puppet government. Hired by the company to return a second time to India, Clive conspired to secure the Company's trade interests by overthrowing the locally unpopular heir to the throne of "Bengal," the richest state in India, richer than Britain, at the time. Back in England, he sat as a Tory Member of Parliament in London.

In 1760, the 35 year old Clive returned to England with a fortune of at least £300,000 and the quit-rent of £27,000 a year. He financially supported his parents and sisters, while also providing Major Lawrence, the commanding officer who had early encouraged his military genius, with a stipend of £500 a year.
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Born on December 31, 1738, in Grosvenor Square, Mayfair, London, Charles Edward Cornwallis V was the eldest child of Charles Cornwallis, 5th Baron Cornwallis, and Elizabeth, the daughter of 2nd Viscount Townshend. His brother, William, served the ‘Royal Navy’ as an admiral.
    Cornwallis attended ‘Eton College’ and ‘Clare College,’ Cambridge. On December 8, 1757, he received his commission as an ensign in the ‘1st Foot Guards’ and later joined the military academy in Turin, Italy, where he completed his studies in 1758.

In 1766, Cornwallis was named the colonel of the ‘33rd Regiment of Foot.’ He was made the “Constable of the Tower of London” in 1771. King George III promoted him to the post of major general on September 29, 1775.
    Cornwallis played a significant role in the Battle of Brandywine, the Battle of Germantown, and the conquest of Fort Mercer. After he returned from a short break, Cornwallis was made the second-in-command, while General Clinton replaced Howe as the commander-in-chief.
    Cornwallis moved to North Carolina after the victory in the Battle of Camden in August 1780. His army lost the Battle of Cowpens in January 1781. Although he won over General Nathanael Greene at ‘Guilford Courthouse’ in March 1781, Cornwallis's army lost resources.
    The American and French armies seized Cornwallis's army and made him surrender on October 1781, ending the last significant battle of the Revolutionary War, known as the Battle of Yorktown.

Despite the defeat, Cornwallis continued with his military career. He was named a “Knight Companion of The Most Noble Order of the Garter” in 1786 (until 1794) with King George III and the newly appointed prime minister William Pitt's support.
    In February 1786, Cornwallis became the governor-general and commander-in-chief in India, where he passed several reforms. His army suppressed the then-ruler of Mysore, Tipu Sultan, in the Third Anglo-Mysore War (1789 to 1792). These wars established British as undisputed power in India, wreaking the former Mughal dynasty nobles and soldiers.

Cornwallis was awarded with the honorary title of “Marquess” in 1792. He returned to England in 1793 and was then sent to Ireland as lord lieutenant (1798–1801), to end the 1798 Irish rebellion and limit the French invasion. He also played a role in the passing of the 1800 ‘Act of Union’ to unite the English and the Irish parliaments.
    From 1794 to 1798, Cornwallis held the title of “Master-General of the Ordnance’’ (MGO). His appointment as the lord lieutenant and the commander-in-chief of Ireland was highly opposed.
    As an MGO, Cornwallis reformed Britain's coastal defences and the artillery training program at the ‘Woolwich Academy.’ He also oversaw the military's infrastructure, storage depots, supply structure, and engineering forces. However, his reformative actions in the interest of the military were curtailed heavily by the ongoing war.
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Warren Hastings was India's first Governor-General (1732-1818) tried to consolidate the East India Company business model and unfortunately during his administration corruption and unscrupulous money dealings were so blatant and continued unchecked, the British Government went to the extend of ordering his impeachment.

Hastings, who deferred from other British officials, did consolidate the British rule and at the same time had keen interest in India's ethos and heritage. He fostered education, encouraged the codification of Hindu law, stimulated the study of Sanskrit by European scholars along with Jones, founded a Mohammedan college in Calcutta and an Indian institute in London, opened a trade route to Tibet, sponsored a survey of Bengal, and organized expeditions to explore the seas. He established the system of civil administration that was the basis of Anglo-Indian security and prosperity. In 1781, Hastings founded Madrasa 'Aliya; in 2007, it was transformed into Aliah University by the Government of India, at Calcutta. In 1784, Hastings supported the foundation of the Bengal Asiatic Society, now the Asiatic Society of Bengal, founded by the oriental scholar Sir William Jones. Indians are always grateful to him for his vision, inspiration and interest in the betterment of native Indians who were stoic victims of colonial exploitation and discrimination.
    He was impeached by Parliament in 1786, but the trial opened two years later and lasted for 7 years. The House of Lords found him not guilty.
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Thread Information