Thread: Do you think Latin America will adopt political correctness or is this an Anglo cultural trait?

kratz

0 Not allowed!

Default Do you think Latin America will adopt political correctness or is this an Anglo cultural trait?

Spanish culture and language is very direct. While English culture emphasis politeness. Ever since the 90's political correctness have changed the discourse in the English speaking world. If you read a novel like, "Of Mice and Men" characters use words like, "Nigger" openly. Meanwhile, nowadays only African Americans are allowed to use these words. And if you use there would be a high social cost on you. I've even heard that people can't even use this words in schools.

Meanwhile, the Hispanic sphere has developed differently. I knew a guy from Panama who studied in Spain and he told me people would call him a "Moro." Meanwhile, I also knew an Ecuatorian guy who would be called, "Indio." However, if you speak up in this culture people will say you have complexes while in the Anglosphere people would say you are standing up for your rights.

The same with the feminist issue. I'm seeing women in Argentina and Spain trying to change todos for "todes." So far the RAE has been resistant to this type of change. However, we will see what happens in the future.

What do you guys think? Will there be pressure on Spain or the RAE to change their language practices?

Will individual Latin American countries have their own language policies to create inclusive language practices?

Due to the rise of Spanish speakers in the USA will that have a effect where different form of Spanish will occur?

This are important questions that will come up sooner or later in a globalized world.

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baldic
    Ethnicity
    Bald
    Ancestry
    Bald individuals
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Baldid
    Politics
    Pro-Baldness, Hair Loss
    Hero
    Charles the Bald
    Religion
    Ironically Calvinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,039
    Given: 996

0 Not allowed!

It was already adopted in Southern Cone long time ago.

kratz

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger0075 View Post
    It was already adopted in Southern Cone long time ago.
    Where are located? I've never been to the southern cone but I heard they are Chilean culture is very liberal. They have a lot of very liberal music as well like the Prisioneros..etc.

Thread Information