Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Is it easier to pass as White in Brasil than Hispanic America?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-14-2024 @ 04:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 233

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixdguy17 View Post
    not really, as latam has a around the same standard of whiteness as the u.s.a, like latinus said here . Also they are heavily based in pigmentation, hair and eye color as well.
    Mexicans also consider Mediterranean Spanish looks white so someone who has that appearance or close to it might come off as white in Latin America but that perception probably doesn’t always hold in the US based. It’s the closest thing that comes to that. I feel like it happens in less frequency in Latin America but happens regularly from what I’ve seen in countries like Nigeria where mixed people to the rest of the population look white/whiter to them even though Americans don’t see it as that.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    "Castizo": Alpinid + Med + Minor Amazonid
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, MLK
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,844
    Given: 5,100

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    Mexicans also consider Mediterranean Spanish looks white so someone who has that appearance or close to it might come off as white in Latin America but that perception probably doesn’t always hold in the US based. It’s the closest thing that comes to that. I feel like it happens in less frequency in Latin America but happens regularly from what I’ve seen in countries like Nigeria where mixed people to the rest of the population look white/whiter to them even though Americans don’t see it as that.
    No, actually here in mexico the Med/berid pheno is viewed as something native and common to here and not really attributed to something euro or foreigner as many people posses an influence or have part of that pheno, and it is viewed usually as a mixed phenotype sometimes just for the reason that is really common and almost never attributed to an euro look as like latinus said, Mexico has now an standard of whiteness very influenced by the usa, somethimg that never did happened 200 years ago. Frida posted some very good examples. here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrida View Post
    in northern mexico the word wero is only used for blond people, even if it is mestizo, but for example for a non-blond Spanish it would not be used and in many cases those Spaniards would be considered mestizos, I don't know if in other parts of Latin America it is similar, I think that in Argentina those Spaniards would be called "black heads"

Many Spaniards in Mexico, at least in the northern part, would not be considered white or European, and people would think that they are mestizos !!

examples

Mexican criollo considered mestizo by people !!

They are all very typical Spaniards but people would not consider them white !!

Or could it be that the Spanish are not pure whites !!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

No, actually here in mexico the Med/berid pheno is viewed as something native and common to here and not really attributed to something euro or foreigner as many people posses an influence or have part of that pheno, and it is viewed usually as a mixed phenotype sometimes just for the reason that is really common and almost never attributed to an euro look as like latinus said, Mexico has now an standard of whiteness very influenced by the usa, somethimg that never did happened 200 years ago. Frida posted some very good examples. here
    The thing is even if that appearance is common in Mexico and throughout Latin America a lot of these people are probably Harnizos, Euro-Mestizos, Quadroons, mulattos, mestizos or Castizos etc who came out pretty light/euro looking and given the US puts a lot of emphasis on puré European linage when it comes to whiteness plus the fact that they have a good chunk of non-European blood(African and Amerindian) on average which can affect they’re phenotypes makes them even more exotic to the American white.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

The thing is even if that appearance is common in Mexico and throughout Latin America a lot of these people are probably Harnizos, Euro-Mestizos, Quadroons, mulattos, mestizos or Castizos etc who came out pretty light/euro looking and given the US puts a lot of emphasis on puré European linage when it comes to whiteness plus the fact that they have a good chunk of non-European blood(African and Amerindian) on average which can affect they’re phenotypes makes them even more exotic to the American white.
    It just really depends on the person as well, I am a harnizo, and When i lived in the U.S.A i was viewed as white by everyone. They don't focus on features too much unless they are very obvious to be non white, but they dont notice slight influences

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

It just really depends on the person as well, I am a harnizo, and When i lived in the U.S.A i was viewed as white by everyone. They don't focus on features too much unless they are very obvious to be non white, but they dont notice slight influences
    Basically you’re white passing in Latin America your just viewed as plain white. The thing is people view White Latinos as darker then white Americans but lighter then your average American lol, I’ve even meet people who try to convince me JLo is white even if she usually looks brown to me(and no not because of her spray tan). With white Americans is pretty much clean cut no mixes from other groups but with Latinos it’s usually a subject of debate cause of our ancestry/features.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Basically you’re white passing in Latin America your just viewed as plain white. The thing is people view White Latinos as darker then white Americans but lighter then your average American lol, I’ve even meet people who try to convince me JLo is white even if she usually looks brown to me(and no not because of her spray tan). With white Americans is pretty much clean cut no mixes from other groups but with Latinos it’s usually a subject of debate cause of our ancestry/features.
    Yeah exactly, bus I think it's normal as south europeans on average are darker than north europeans, so even if a full iberian or Italian who are people that are pure white, go to the USA they would also be percieved as averagely darker than the usual white american but still white, it's because it's two different regions of input of the european gene, even on some more atypical cases some might even be mistaken for latinos, it just really depends on the person, as for the americans, the european look is to what is familiar to them; the northwestern look.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Yeah exactly, bus I think it's normal as south europeans on average are darker than north europeans, so even if a full iberian or Italian who are people that are pure white, go to the USA they would also be percieved as averagely darker than the usual white american but still white, it's because it's two different regions of input of the european gene, even on some more atypical cases some might even be mistaken for latinos, it just really depends on the person, as for the americans, the european look is to what is familiar to them; the northwestern look.
    Basically but like I said White Latinos on average in the US on terms of European ancestry is 73% European(average for US Latinos is 65% European) compare that to your White American who on Average is 99% European they’re gonna come out looking different regardless

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Deleted

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Basically but like I said White Latinos on average in the US on terms of European ancestry is 73% European(average for US Latinos is 65% European) compare that to your White American who on Average is 99% European they’re gonna come out looking different regardless
    Agreed, on average yes, but ofcourse there's always exceptions.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread Information