Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it easier to pass as White in Brasil than Hispanic America?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-13-2023 @ 06:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Country
    Mexico
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 245

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloGuys View Post
    I think you are right; almost everyone who has white skin and pred.euro feautures can pass as white there (Harnizos, castizos, octoroons, etc, etc)

For example in México you are not considerer white even if you has a mediterranean look (Gracile med, Atlanto med, alpine-med, etc) unless of course that you have fair skin, light eyes and brown/blonde/redish hair even if you have castizo traits for example; here the pigmentation cares more (but the traits have to be pred.euro, it doesn't care if you don't look 100% euro)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloGuys View Post
    I think you are right; almost everyone who has white skin and pred.euro feautures can pass as white there (Harnizos, castizos, octoroons, etc, etc)

For example in México you are not considerer white even if you has a mediterranean look (Gracile med, Atlanto med, alpine-med, etc) unless of course that you have fair skin, light eyes and brown/blonde/redish hair even if you have castizo traits for example; here the pigmentation cares more (but the traits have to be pred.euro, it doesn't care if you don't look 100% euro)
    in northern mexico the word wero is only used for blond people, even if it is mestizo, but for example for a non-blond Spanish it would not be used and in many cases those Spaniards would be considered mestizos, I don't know if in other parts of Latin America it is similar, I think that in Argentina those Spaniards would be called "black heads"

Many Spaniards in Mexico, at least in the northern part, would not be considered white or European, and people would think that they are mestizos !!

examples

Mexican criollo considered mestizo by people !!

They are all very typical Spaniards but people would not consider them white !!

Or could it be that the Spanish are not pure whites !!

Last Online
    03-21-2023 @ 02:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Latin.
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized Gracile-Med
    Politics
    I don't give a fuck about it.
    Hero
    Nobody
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,836
    Given: 5,025

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrida View Post
    in northern mexico the word wero is only used for blond people, even if it is mestizo, but for example for a non-blond Spanish it would not be used and in many cases those Spaniards would be considered mestizos, I don't know if in other parts of Latin America it is similar, I think that in Argentina those Spaniards would be called "black heads"

Many Spaniards in Mexico, at least in the northern part, would not be considered white or European, and people would think that they are mestizos !!

examples

Because Mexicans have a Nordicist/Anglocentrist view regarding Euro looks? They associate Euro looking with the white American tourists/immigrants, who are mainly Anglo-Celtic/Germanic?

Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 08:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    "Castizo": Alpinid + Med + Minor Amazonid
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, MLK
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,843
    Given: 5,100

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Latinus View Post
    Because Mexicans have a Nordicist/Anglocentrist view regarding Euro looks? They associate Euro looking with the white American tourists/immigrants, who are mainly Anglo-Celtic/Germanic?
    Yep, pretty much this

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    70% European (Pred. Iberian, 1/16 Italian), 13% Native American, 12% SSA, and 5% MENA
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

examples

Also I get called Wero as well, due to skin-hair-eye color but I am also a harnizo like u, and that light coloring comes from my Iberian component, so If I Inherited those trait from Iberians, it means that these traits are native for them and therefore also classify as the more traditional sense of "white" superficially as racially they have always have been, and probably to a more extended degree as I am a mestizo.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Country
    Mexico
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Siii people in Mexico consider European people only to be blond, gringo, German or Polish appareance etc., who do not look like them think they have a mix !!

the phenotype of a Spaniard not so much to be considered European white !! That is why for many people the Criollos can be castizos and the castizos mestizos !!

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Country
    Mexico
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixdguy17 View Post
    Also I get called Wero as well, due to skin-hair-eye color but I am also a harnizo like u, and that light coloring comes from my Iberian component, so If I Inherited those trait from Iberians, it means that these traits are native for them and therefore also classify as the more traditional sense of "white" superficially as racially they have always have been, and probably to a more extended degree as I am a mestizo.
    Blond Spaniards are weros Non-blond Spaniards are not weros in northern Mexico !!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Blond Spaniards are weros Non-blond Spaniards are not weros in northern Mexico !!
    Wait I read it again, I guess i just retained the part of the vagueness of spanirds not being white, my bad Frida! I misread it. I think helloguys made a point a couple of days ago that because the med/berberid pheno is so common here in Mexico and all over LATAM, that is not viewed as something foreign or euro but as something native, and since mestizos (like us) also have that component mixed in with our amerindian or ssa well its percieved as something of our "own'' since is also mixed in the phenotype, so because the med/berberid is common and different from the anglo-saxon/germanic area of pheno, it's viewed as mixed, unless that med/berberid is mixed with another, usually lighter euro pheno, like alpine for example.

Last Online
    03-21-2023 @ 02:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Latin.
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized Gracile-Med
    Politics
    I don't give a fuck about it.
    Hero
    Nobody
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,836
    Given: 5,025

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixdguy17 View Post
    Wait I read it again, I guess i just retained the part of the vagueness of spanirds not being white, my bad Frida! I misread it. I think helloguys made a point a couple of days ago that because the med/berberid pheno is so common here in Mexico and all over LATAM, that is not viewed as something foreign or euro but as something native, and since mestizos (like us) also have that component mixed in with our amerindian or ssa well its percieved as something of our "own'' since is also mixed in the phenotype, so because the med/berberid is common and different from the anglo-saxon/germanic area of pheno, it's viewed as mixed, unless that med/berberid is mixed with another, usually lighter euro pheno, like alpine for example.
    I think you mean Berid, a common type in Iberia and the Italian islands, not Berberid, which is Northern African.

Anyway, I agree 100% with ya, and I always comment about it. In Latin American countries with sizable Euro looking people, Med/Berid phenotype have become national/local looking for a long time, I would say they were only perceived as European looking during colonial times, especially in the beginning of colonization, when the main 3 races of Latin America, the European from Iberia, the black Africans, and Native Americans, looked clearly distinct and there was less mixing, so even an exotic Berid wouldn't be confused as mixed race.

There is a common pattern among Latin American members here: before anthrotardism, many used to think that common Southern Euro faces were simply specifically Latin American: Mexican, Brazilian, etc. After anthrotardism, many of them (myself included) started to realize that many faces they took for 100% national are in fact Southern Europeans.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Triracial Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Ancestry
    Country
    Venezuela
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Independent/moderate
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I think you mean Berid, a common type in Iberia and the Italian islands, not Berberid, which is Northern African.

Anyway, I agree 100% with ya, and I always comment about it. In Latin American countries with sizable Euro looking people, Med/Berid phenotype have become national/local looking for a long time, I would say they were only perceived as European looking during colonial times, especially in the beginning of colonization, when the main 3 races of Latin America, the European from Iberia, the black Africans, and Native Americans, looked clearly distinct and there was less mixing, so even an exotic Berid wouldn't be confused as mixed race.

There is a common pattern among Latin American members here: before anthrotardism, many used to think that common Southern Euro faces were simply specifically Latin American: Mexican, Brazilian, etc. After anthrotardism, many of them (myself included) started to realize that many faces they took for 100% national are in fact Southern Europeans.
    Yes, that's what I meant, my bad man, I am still really rocky with phenos and I am barely just learning them and i get those two confused all the time lol.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,209
    Given: 43,751

1 Not allowed!

I've said for a long time that at least some Latin Americans considered to be mixed-race are really just exotic Iberian (and to a lesser extent Italian) types.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information