Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it easier to pass as White in Brasil than Hispanic America?

Daven

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by G.Tucker View Post
    The average harnizo would not be classed as white anywhere in Hispanic America due to the mestizo majority and relatively low SSA admixture- correct me if I am wrong.

That same harnizo would be seen as white everywhere in Brazil except the very south because there is so much more SSA mixture relative to Amerindian.
    A lot of of harnizos don't look that caucasoid. I would classify the vast majority as light pardos.

Central-West and Southeast Brasil are more caucasoid than the Northeast and even things in the latter region vary because not all states are overwhelming brown (pardo).

Also, I believe in some Latín American countries they lump mestizos with "whites". At least that's the case for Colombia and perhaps Costa Rican. This doesn't mean the regular mestizo there is seen as white by the regular Joe though (please someone correct my ass if I'm wrong in this; I'm obviously going by what appears in their census).

Daven

0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry for the typos.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,243
    Given: 43,791

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    A lot of of harnizos don't look that caucasoid. I would classify the vast majority as light pardos.

Central-West and Southeast Brasil are more caucasoid than the Northeast and even things in the latter region vary because not all states are overwhelming brown (pardo).

Also, I believe in some Latín American countries they lump mestizos with "whites". At least that's the case for Colombia and perhaps Costa Rican. This doesn't mean the regular mestizo there is seen as white by the regular Joe though (please someone correct my ass if I'm wrong in this; I'm obviously going by what appears in their census).
    Oddly enough, Colombia used to make a distinction between Whites and Mestizos, but now it lumps them both together and only distinguishes them from Blacks and full Amerindians.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-04-2020 @ 06:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Atlantid
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 112

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Oddly enough, Colombia used to make a distinction between Whites and Mestizos, but now it lumps them both together and only distinguishes them from Blacks and full Amerindians.
    How does this work- surely the black and Amerindian population together is 10% max. That would mean a majority 'white' population of 90% that is varying levels of euro (50% to 85%+). Can they do this because most mestizos are euro shifted unlike, say, in Mexico?

Edit: The 2018 census reported that the "non-ethnic population" constituted 86 percent of the national population. The 86 percent figure is subdivided into 49 percent mestizo and 37 percent white

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Atlantid
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Atlantid
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry for the typos.
    I forgot if you have classified me. If you haven't do you think you can help me if I PM you?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-14-2024 @ 04:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 233

0 Not allowed!

I always find it funny how people try to convince me on here you have to look super white with light features in order to have a lot of European ancestry or when people say that the typical Native American appearance is the mestizo look when that person doesn’t even have half as much European ancestry to be an actual mestizo.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argentano View Post
    Yes but this thread talks about brazil vs hispanic america. Brazil actually has a higher real white % than most hispanic america
    Hispanic American countries are Balkanized so what’s white in Bogota and Mexico City wouldn’t be White in Buenos Aires or Montevideo considering how farther apart they are then any Brazilian City is to eachother.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pred Amerindian
    Ethnicity
    Peruvian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In some cases, there was this Guatemalan who posted his 23andme results and mind you he had fair skin and green eyes, the White Americans and Brits were even talking about in the comments section about how easily he could pass in as white in they’re countries as well as the Spaniards saying the same, but his results were Balanced Mestizo leaning a bit more towards the Amerindian then European. It was about 40/40 Balamce the remains bits of MidEast/Africa. Just goes to show that phenotype/genetics is somewhat pointless to compare when not everyone with the same results will come looking the same. It kinda reminded me of you Mulatto Thread and how even the balanced mulattos were pretty light

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ambiguous
    Ethnicity
    Castizo.
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Taxonomy
    Atlántico-Mediterráneo-Alpino-Amerindio.
    Politics
    Right
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 444
    Given: 391

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by G.Tucker View Post
    Is it easier to pass as White in Brasil compared to Hispanic countries since they only use black, brown (pardo) and white?

Most castizos (maybe harnizos) would be white in Brasil, no? The definition of white is broader?
    The definition of white as "European unmixed" is only used in Anthroflora and the United States.

The vast majority of people define that word based on lighter pigmentation.

Ask your social or family circle in Italy what understand they by "white" and check it out.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information