N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

2 Not allowed!

Default Portugese mentality

Could Portugese explain us are these any specific historical or other reasons that shaped quite famous Portugese mentality, so atypical compared to rest of southern Europe.
    More introverted, calm, soft-spoken compared to fiery and extraverted southern Euros who talk a lot, and talk loudly.

I found this stereotype very accurate in limited few real experiences with Portugese people, and heard the same from friends who visited Portugal.
    Portugese TA members fit this description rather well.

Even their music (Fado) is very melancholic and ''sad''. What are reasons for this, relative geographic isolation from other Europeans, still strong Catholic faith in Portugese, or something else?

Discuss

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,620
    Given: 21,626

0 Not allowed!

Maybe is related with some British influence in the forms.

Sorry, I am not Portuguese.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-27-2023 @ 10:06 AM
    Between Toledo & Madrid, Castilla la Nueva
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Celtic-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Aryan (Indo-European)
    Ancestry
    Romans, Celtiberians & Goths
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Y-DNA
    R1b-A8053 => FGC37100
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    White Separatism & Spanish Traditionalism (OUR BLOOD IS OUR LEGACY)
    Hero
    Padre Jesús Calvo, Léon Degrelle, Onésimo Redondo, Misael Bańuelos, Robert J. Mathews
    Religion
    Visigothic Catholic Rite
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,312
    Given: 1,370

1 Not allowed!

I have met several Portuguese, one of them is a very good friend of mine, and I have to say that their mentality and character is not very different from that of the Spanish.

Northern Portuguese are less talkative than southern Portuguese, who like to talk and socialize a lot. That is the only difference between Portuguese, otherwise they all have the same way of being general. They are an intermediate point between northern Atlantic Europe and southern Europe.

I love that they are very nice people and good friends.

Companhia dos Leőes da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,181
    Given: 16,895

3 Not allowed!

I don't know if this makes sense to others but we are a country that loves being sad and melancholic. Joyful sadness if you may say.

Historically that might have been ingrained in our cultural upbringing due to centuries of fierce Catholicism. Portugal has always been a very Catholic nation, even by modern standards (I had to attend religious classes since the kindergarten until I reached adulthood). The life of Christ was humble, melancholic and painful. Sorrow and grief: the path of Jesus is attached in the collective subconscious of our society as a role-model way of living. Do not be too unnecessarily effusive, do not be superficial or try to get yourself attention, be respectful towards the others and serene.

Being a significantly smaller country probably played a role as well on how people behave because people in here tend to care about what others will say or comment about them or their family if they misbehave, particularly in smaller circles. In large urban areas this doesn't happen as much but bare in mind that at least 75% of the people that live here in larger cities migrated not that long ago from smaller villages of the interior of the country (myself and my family included), so this mentality is still present.

Another significant aspect is related to the Age of Discovery. A portion of our population was either sailors or navigators that had to leave the country for long stretches of time, sometimes never returning home. This led to a feeling that we describe as saudade and doesn't really have a translation in other languages. It is an emotion that can be felt for a country, a person or a point in time. Oxford Dictionaries defines saudade as a longing or nostalgia, but it is much more than just that. The majority of Fado singers lyricism is about this emotion and feeling of saudade.

Anyway, sadness is not that bad, one can only know what happiness feels like if you know how sadness feels like. Both feelings go hand-in-hand.

YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,620
    Given: 21,626

0 Not allowed!

A saudade.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    I don't know if this makes sense to others but we are a country that loves being sad and melancholic. Joyful sadness if you may say.

Historically that might have been ingrained in our cultural upbringing due to centuries of fierce Catholicism. Portugal has always been a very Catholic nation, even by modern standards (I had to attend religious classes since the kindergarten until I reached adulthood). The life of Christ was humble, melancholic and painful. Sorrow and grief: the path of Jesus is attached in the collective subconscious of our society as a role-model way of living. Do not be too unnecessarily effusive, do not be superficial or try to get yourself attention, be respectful towards the others and serene.

Being a significantly smaller country probably played a role as well on how people behave because people in here tend to care about what others will say or comment about them or their family if they misbehave, particularly in smaller circles. In large urban areas this doesn't happen as much but bare in mind that at least 75% of the people that live here in larger cities migrated not that long ago from smaller villages of the interior of the country (myself and my family included), so this mentality is still present.

Another significant aspect is related to the Age of Discovery. A portion of our population was either sailors or navigators that had to leave the country for long stretches of time, sometimes never returning home. This led to a feeling that we describe as saudade and doesn't really have a translation in other languages. It is an emotion that can be felt for a country, a person or a point in time. Oxford Dictionaries defines saudade as a longing or nostalgia, but it is much more than just that. The majority of Fado singers lyricism is about this emotion and feeling of saudade.

Anyway, sadness is not that bad, one can only know what happiness feels like if you know how sadness feels like. Both feelings go hand-in-hand.

Thank you very much for wonderful description
    Many people appreciate a lot this aspect of Portugese ''soul''

Your music is wonderful. And I'm glad to sense Catholicism has something to do with it, because even today Portugal remain most Catholic nation in western Europe.

Greets

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    E1b1a-FT4968
    mtDNA
    V6b1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,477
    Given: 2,729

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Est.1992 View Post
    Could Portugese explain us are these any specific historical or other reasons that shaped quite famous Portugese mentality, so atypical compared to rest of southern Europe.
    More introverted, calm, soft-spoken compared to fiery and extraverted southern Euros who talk a lot, and talk loudly.

I found this stereotype very accurate in limited few real experiences with Portugese people, and heard the same from friends who visited Portugal.
    Portugese TA members fit this description rather well.

Even their music (Fado) is very melancholic and ''sad''. What are reasons for this, relative geographic isolation from other Europeans, still strong Catholic faith in Portugese, or something else?

Discuss
    I find it funny that stereotype of southern euros as fiery, extroverts and speak out loud.

It is a stereotype that is usually accepted in my country and serves to insult compatriots and make this type of conduct ugly by relating it to the "paletos" (lol) or uneducated and illiterate people.

You already know a word in Spanish.

In Croatia you can call him "Paleto" when a person seems illiterate, uneducated and from a farming town
    Yfull:
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA

Thread Information