"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,127

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tradwitch1313 View Post
    I was thinking about living in the Highlands, especially Inverness. I want to do things like archaeology, history, literature, and music. And I looked up Celtic studies and found that the University of Edinburgh offered it as well as the university of Aberdeen.
    Edinburgh or bust.

This is Aberdeen:

[youtube]v_guDN7IZ0U[/youtube]

I have been to Peep Peep's bar, it's actually not too bad, and the harbour area has some of the smartest address. I went to a couple of wild cocaine parties there, back in the day, wall to wall babes...

[youtube]TmnEWNzngCI[/youtube]

Big Aggie... Can you understand what she is saying?

Aberdonian culture is all about making very noisy threats, which are rarely carried out, as well as pretending that one would defend one friends to the death, whereas in fact, the main aim is a pint of Carling, or a line of very poor quality cocaine...

Scotland is, however, a truly violent place.

Scottish people rarely do anything on their own. They are nearly always with friends, and seem to have no individual identity.

The law in Scotland essentially permits anyone to beat the fuck out of anyone else, because unless there are eye witnesses, the crime cannot be proven, which perhaps accounts for the sticky nature of Scottish social circles: Safety in numbers.

I know, because I beat the fuck out of someone in Scotland and got away with it, Scot-free.

[youtube]kGFk_yYIbww[/youtube]

BudzBar, Aberdeen. It's on Union Street, a mile of steely granite shops and offices which turns into a veritable war zone every weekend, with bodies hitting the tarmac and scantily clad, yet overweight tarts, wobbling their way up and down like so much spam ham.

I used to spend the occasional evening at BudzBar, when I had been chucked out of 'Drum' for 'falling asleep' (coming up on ecstacy and getting all drowsy :nod ) the only other dance venue at the time.

It must have been the last club in the universe to play Hard House music, a peculiarly British phenomenon, made listenable by the consumption of large quantities of MDMA (which is quite cheap in the UK) and rum.

There was a gay club called 'Foundation' in one of the many curious tunnels which run under the city, but the music policy was so bad, that only 17 year old lesbians and hen parties would actually go there.

Aberdeen and Ugly:

[youtube]KupqHWzcTdk[/youtube]

So this is the reason why you must choose Edinburgh, if you must.

I did love Aberdeen, from the point of view of really getting to know the locals, but actually I woke up one day and realised that the only people I knew in the city, apart from my then girlfriend, were travellers of various types. They were the most fun and interesting people to know there, the rest of it was pure spam ham, marinaded in cheap vodka or bread-heads working in the oil industry.

Edinburgh, on the other hand is uttely fabulous.
    Last edited by Fortis in Arduis; 08-27-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Lettuce, Gruyere, Bacon and Tomato Pride, WorldWide!!

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Dunno if the OP is upland or flatland S. Carolinian, slim shot given that SC only has 6 upland counties, either way preserving this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urB_E...eature=related

would be more realistic than droppin' all to go overseas.

Maybe it's just his age, see he's only 16, had a bit of naivety myself in teens, perhaps sentiments will change once he gets to know his own home more.

Last Online
    11-16-2014 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sex Panther
    Taxonomy
    Nordid/DaloFaelid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

I can see Tradwitch's point, but I can also see Osweo's point. Here's an observation/tip from someone with a bit of experience with this type of thing:

Native born ethnic Europeans tend to snicker dirisively at New World ethnic Europeans who are a bit too overzealous and awkward in our love and identification with the "motherland". It's a somewhat fine line between what's embarrasingly overzealous and what's not, but certainly not an impossible line to identify.

That said, it is entirely possible to express your interest in and identification with your European roots in a more subtle way. Done right, most native born Europeans will quite appreciate your interest in your and their shared "motherland".

Either way, it's not terribly important, just something that might prove useful if you do go to Scotland.
    þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Celtic culture, like all other European cultures, is being undermined by consumerism and the mass media. Those problems need to be dealt with first before one can even think of trying to revive the Celts.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    I can see Tradwitch's point, but I can also see Osweo's point. Here's an observation/tip from someone with a bit of experience with this type of thing:

Native born ethnic Europeans tend to snicker dirisively at New World ethnic Europeans who are a bit too overzealous and awkward in our love and identification with the "motherland". It's a somewhat fine line between what's embarrasingly overzealous and what's not, but certainly not an impossible line to identify.

That said, it is entirely possible to express your interest in and identification with your European roots in a more subtle way. Done right, most native born Europeans will quite appreciate your interest in your and their shared "motherland".

Either way, it's not terribly important, just something that might prove useful if you do go to Scotland.
    Really well said. As a Nationalist, ethnicity is defined for me as a matter of kinship, and so colonial cousins are not nothing to me, given the very real matter of shared blood. However, this over-zealous identification with our Old World identities is laughable. It's often associated with a bizarrely encyclopaedic knowledge of our national histories; people who can recite king lists at me but who lack in any real sense of context, landscape or relevance.

I'll also add, that I'm not at all impressed with anyone who favours his ancestral homeland entirely over his colonial home. I'm most impressed with those who've made an effort to be the best damned American they can be, especially by affording the cultural heritage of their particular regional identity the attention and respect it deserves. Our nations here have no use for those who've betrayed their actual homeland and ethnic group.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Ok, condem me for being overzealous for my home countries and roots and feeling a deep connection to them. Shoot me. That said, I want to be a historian on Celtic culture and witchcraft. I want to move to Scotland because I feel I belong there. I feel an extremely deep connection to Celtic culture and the land of them. I am much better at European, especially British and some mainland European history than any other histories. I-fucking-hate-South Carolina. I hate the U.S. with a passion. I just want to get out.

I believe in more divine things than what science can prove, so I believe that The Dagda created the Celtic people and I think that the Celtic culture evolved from the natives of the British Isles and elsewhere. Example: The Picts. I don't think they became more "civilized" than the other Celtic people like the Gaels, Welsh, and Cornish.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119

0 Not allowed!

I want to move to Scotland because I feel I belong there.
    LoL. You seen some pretty picture books?
    I-fucking-hate-South Carolina. I hate the U.S. with a passion. I just want to get out.
    Shame on your foul impiety.

Shouldn't one whose religious convictions are wrapped up in his deeper genealogy have some more respect for his more immediate ancestors, and what they built in South Carolina!?

SHAME.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2012 @ 01:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic / keltic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    GB % Swe, Irl.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

Clover Scottish Games, Greenville Scottish Highland Games and the Charleston Scottish Games and Highland Gathering. Recognise the cities? You do not seem to be so out of place. Many Highlanders settled in your area after the 45.

Make the most of your current position, it's not so bad as you might think. Things are seldom perfect anywhere. You might well obtain your desires in time. Reality may be a bit different than a vision.

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,127

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Clover Scottish Games, Greenville Scottish Highland Games and the Charleston Scottish Games and Highland Gathering. Recognise the cities? You do not seem to be so out of place. Many Highlanders settled in your area after the 45.

Make the most of your current position, it's not so bad as you might think. Things are seldom perfect anywhere. You might well obtain your desires in time. Reality may be a bit different than a vision.
    Agreed, but an MA (and undergrads in Scotland all receive an MA if they complete the requisite four years) from Edinburgh or St. Andrews would be worth the time spent.

Scotland has a strong academic culture, and it would be good as anything to be found south of the border, although not Harvard or Yale.

At least UK students are not as bitchy and competitive as their mean-spirited US counterparts.

Lettuce, Gruyere, Bacon and Tomato Pride, WorldWide!!

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Ok, condem me for being overzealous for my home countries and roots and feeling a deep connection to them. Shoot me.
    They aren't your "home countries" they are your ancestors home countries, any sensible Southron recognizes their home "state" as their home country in the sense of the most original blueprint for statehood.

That said, I want to be a historian on Celtic culture and witchcraft. I want to move to Scotland because I feel I belong there. I feel an extremely deep connection to Celtic culture and the land of them. I am much better at European, especially British and some mainland European history than any other histories.
    Nothin' wrong to study overseas but the escapist attitude does not do any good.

I-fucking-hate-South Carolina. I hate the U.S. with a passion. I just want to get out.
    Those ancestors of yours buried in Provincial soil surely would weep, rather the females more accurately, the men folk would say time to fetch switch.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information