Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Immigration from other Euro countries - Yay or nay?

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Draug View Post
    Of course You are free to move where You want.
    True; among of Nordic countries:

''The Nordic Passport Union was established in three stages. In 1952, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland agreed to abolish passports for travel between them and to readmit citizens of other countries who had entered illegally into one of the four countries from another. On 1 July 1954, the agreement was extended to allow citizens to reside and work in any of the four countries without a residence or work permit. Iceland implemented the agreement on 1 January 1966.[4][5] Passport checks for citizens of non-member countries at the borders between member countries were removed by a treaty between Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland signed on 12 July 1957 and which came into force on 1 May 1958. The treaty was extended to Iceland on 24 September 1965 and to the Faroe Islands on 1 January 1966. Greenland and Svalbard remain outside the passport union.''

One part of that co-operation .... what comes to social security issues .... if I would move to Norway, I would automatically get/enjoy same rights / benefits from Norway as I would get from Sweden or from Finland (depending which one of those would be marked to my home country). Of course that probably is not exactly the same which Norwegians might get. In any cases I guess that theoretical matter already hurts a lot ?

Both Norway & Sweden were pretty successfull countries in 1950's, 1960's, 1970's (no matter of above). Agree? And what happened in Finland (same time/after WWII) ... has even been one kind of miracle. Again agree? So I doubt that has caused lots of problems? But of course .... opinions can differ.
    Last edited by Finnish Swede; 06-23-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-02-2020 @ 01:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 967

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    True; among of Nordic countries:

''The Nordic Passport Union was established in three stages. In 1952, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland agreed to abolish passports for travel between them and to readmit citizens of other countries who had entered illegally into one of the four countries from another. On 1 July 1954, the agreement was extended to allow citizens to reside and work in any of the four countries without a residence or work permit. Iceland implemented the agreement on 1 January 1966.[4][5] Passport checks for citizens of non-member countries at the borders between member countries were removed by a treaty between Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland signed on 12 July 1957 and which came into force on 1 May 1958. The treaty was extended to Iceland on 24 September 1965 and to the Faroe Islands on 1 January 1966. Greenland and Svalbard remain outside the passport union.''

One part of that co-operation .... what comes to social security issues .... if I would move to Norway, I would automatically get/enjoy same rights / benefits from Norway as I would get from Sweden or from Finland (depending which one of those would be marked to my home country). Of course that probably is not exactly the same which Norwegians might get. In any cases I guess that theoretical matter already hurts a lot ?

Both Norway & Sweden were pretty successfull countries in 1950's, 1960's, 1970's (no matter of above). Agree? And what happened in Finland (same time/after WWII) ... has even been one kind of miracle. Again agree? So I doubt that has caused lots of problems? But of course .... opinions can differ.
    Envy may not be a uniquely Swedish trait, but You are more afflicted by it than us

By and large, I don't care about the crumbs You might get here. A drop in the ocean. We have the oil as You know very well

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Envy may not be a uniquely Swedish trait, but You are more afflicted by it than us

By and large, I don't care about the crumbs You might get here. A drop in the ocean. We have the oil as You know very well
    Swedes and probably all are someway jealous about oil you have. Pretty natural. But that does not mean they would be jealous about what you are as a people/humans. Just pushed you back on the Earth.

A second class Nordic? Oh, I would like to hear more about that ''term'' (determination). Coming from one who was under kings of Denmark and Sweden. Be carefully now ''norrman'' ... taking that kind of attitude ... you might lose all your (nordic) friends pretty quickly. Plus there will be time then oil will not help as much (becoming less needed).
    Last edited by Finnish Swede; 06-23-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-02-2020 @ 01:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 967

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Swedes and probably all are someway jealous about oil you have. Pretty natural. But that does not mean they would be jealous about what you are as a people/humans. Just pushed you back on the Earth.

A second class Nordic? Oh, I would like to hear more about that ''term'' (determination). Coming from one who was under kings of Denmark and Sweden. Be carefully now ''norrman'' ... taking that kind of attitude ... you might lose all your (nordic) friends pretty quickly. Plus there will be time then oil will not help as much (becoming less needed).
    Hey, after 400 years of submission can't You be a bit generous and allow us to have some fun while it lasts?

As to the oil that era is nearing it's end. It doesn't bother me, as too much prosperity has done more harm than good to Our country. An abundance of wealth is not healthy for the individual or nation. As long as we have the basic needs and a functioning society with more cohesion I am happy. That way we will be more likely to be left alone.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Hey, after 400 years of submission can't You be a bit generous and allow us to have some fun while it lasts?

As to the oil that era is nearing it's end. It doesn't bother me, as too much prosperity has done more harm than good to Our country. An abundance of wealth is not healthy for the individual or nation. As long as we have the basic needs and a functioning society with more cohesion I am happy. That way we will be more likely to be left alone.

Oh, you can relax ... I drop Norway away from my own list / options. No doubt you will temp and get more than enough more suitable immigrants to Norway (from all over the world). As it has been.

I will gonna choose between Sweden (mainly looking for Skåne then) or Finland (staying here in Ostorobothnia). Both of those via my parents / heritage. The first one also as I think they would opposite ''need'' persons like me there and second one as our lands are here (and I have grown up here).

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,779

1 Not allowed!

Thanks for this elaborate answer. Completely agreed. News articles here have reported on the increased housing prices caused by tourists pressuring out locals. Thus understandably leading to natives protesting. Scandinavians are among the perpetrators in this aspect. A lot not even caring to show proper respect by adapting and learning the language. There are whole ghettos of Scandinavians, Brits and Germans living secluded. Behaving badly and not showing proper respect for locals.
    At least your stance towards immigration is coherent and moral, in contrast to those who say "I don't like immigrants unless they are blonde and blue-eyed, in which case they can come here without any limitations".

Last Online
    12-07-2023 @ 12:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ulster & North Leinster Irish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 77

0 Not allowed!

Just want to bump this if I may and give my thoughts.

This situation is obviously a bit difficult for someone like me, I was born and raised in England to Irish parents, I'm not therefore considered properly British/English because my parents aren't British/English, but in Ireland I'm not considered Irish because I wasn't born or raised in Ireland, didn't play Gaelic sports, didn't learn Irish, didn't go to catholic schools etc. I've lived in England for 14 years and Northern Ireland for 20 years, and I'm considered a foreigner in both countries. So its not surprising I have a bit more of an internationalist outlook and perhaps my views are more liberal than most.

Am I right the consensus view is small amounts of immigration is fine providing they are from a similar culture/ethnicity? I know some have suggested none, but I'm not sure entirely realistic that is and it also goes against what has been going on in Europe for millennia's with European ethnicities moving and intermingling in reasonable (but not mass) numbers.

I'd be open to moving abroad to the US/Canada/Australia/NZ possibly even Germany or Scandinavia, but if I did the latter I would absolutely make sure I work my arse off and learn the local language and try to respect/uphold/adapt to the local culture. I'm certainly not bringing my British/Irish 'culture' with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Jones's Locker View Post
    My own perception in England is that certain European ethnic groups assimilate better than others, both from their perspective and more importantly that of the host. Those that blend in the easiest are from northwest Europe but due to economic and quality of life reasons they are limited in number and instead it is overwhelmingly from the less compatible south & east. The exception is the Irish who consistently seem to migrate in large numbers, they are not genetically/phenotypically or (with the exception of Travellers) culturally dissimilar but there are 'political' issues obviously.
    This hasn't been accurate since the Celtic Tiger. Irish migration from Ireland to the UK has been net zero since the 90s. Since then Irelands living standards have been equal to the UKs and there's no reason for them to move. During the financial crisis when Irelands unemployment nearly 20%, there was a positive net migration to the UK but they all moved back within 5 years.

The UKs Irish born population was 700,000 in 1971, in 2011 it was 400,000 and its probably going to show another decline in this years census. The White Irish ethnic group is also the oldest ethnic group in the UK with the highest average age, higher than White British, ergo, they are all now dying off and not being replaced.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Should be as restrictive as any other form of immigration. Take only those with the skills that'll benefit us regardless of their origin European or otherwise. I don't favor Europeans, nor do I think mass migration from Europe is a positive thing.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eagle
    Ethnicity
    Straight
    Country
    Taiwan
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,808
    Given: 7,516

0 Not allowed!

Ha. So he was jewish but he said he was simply Norwegian when many said he didn't look Norwegian And funny how he was against of Euro countries immigrating...

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread Information