Thread: How similar or different where the culture of Lima to the culture of Spain(pre-1975)?

kratz

1 Not allowed!

Default How similar or different where the culture of Lima to the culture of Spain(pre-1975)?

I'm wondering because if you read Vargas Llosa's first three novels, "La Ciudad y Los Perros," "La Casa Verde" and "Conversacion en La Catedral." The society he describes is very conservative, traditional gender roles, fist fighting, and there's even a lot of worth put in concepts like "Honor" and 'Respect." Sure all of these values could be Amerindian culture. However, most of his characters were Criollos and Mestizos, and even he said that initially in Lima and Arequipa, there was few Amerindian immigration from the mountains that happened much later in the 1980s.

I don't know much about Spain, however, form what I was learning after Franco's death in 1975, Spain undergoes a cultural transformation. At least, I was watching a documentary on La Movidad Madrileña, and it seems to have been the Spanish version of the American 1960's counter-culture with drugs, transgenderism and rock music...etc.

PS: People think I admire Anglo-America culture but this isn't the case. I praise when it does things right. I rightfully criticize it when it doesn't. However, I like many Americans and Brits themselves disapprove of radical liberalism. For instance, in certain cities like NYC you'll see posters of goats having sex all over the city. And people saying that it's art and progressive. While I completely disagree.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-13-2023 @ 06:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Country
    Mexico
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 245

0 Not allowed!

Ciudad de México también era muy criolla durante la colonia y los primeros años después de la Independencia. Pero la inmigración de estados vecinos y sureños fue masiva que redujo el porcentaje a minoría.

De hecho es interesante que la palabra chilango primero era usada por los capitalinos a las personas que arribaban. Pero con el paso del tiempo al ser la mayoría la palabra pasó a ser sinónimo de capitalino.

kratz

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrida View Post
    Ciudad de México también era muy criolla durante la colonia y los primeros años después de la Independencia. Pero la inmigración de estados vecinos y sureños fue masiva que redujo el porcentaje a minoría.

De hecho es interesante que la palabra chilango primero era usada por los capitalinos a las personas que arribaban. Pero con el paso del tiempo al ser la mayoría la palabra pasó a ser sinónimo de capitalino.
    Estoy de acuerdo. Lo que tambien me parece interesante es como los valores han cambiado. Antes cuando pensaba en la cultura latinoamerica pensaba en Vargas Llosa o Octavio Paz ahora pienso en Daddy Yankee y Becky G. Yo creo que los grigos quiere mandar una imagen que no existe una cultura desarollada en Latinoamerica.

Thread Information